Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 10:48 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
And what do you say about people who have been at financial institutions, hometown companies, and factories where people work for 10,15, or 20 years and then are suddenly laid off? The only thing they may be able to come up with is minimum wage jobs, and there are actually a lot of people like that out there.

It sounds like you just came on here to gather more people to agree with you and stroke your ego since you obviously don't have a minimum wage job.
They then need to move to where the jobs are.

I don't know why this concept has died in the last 40 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but in most jobs you can get laid off without any obligation from the employer. Are you saying it's of no concern that these people are out of work after working at a particular company for most of their life?
That's correct. How is it my problem?

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
And what do you say about people who have been at financial institutions, hometown companies, and factories where people work for 10,15, or 20 years and then are suddenly laid off? The only thing they may be able to come up with is minimum wage jobs, and there are actually a lot of people like that out there.

It sounds like you just came on here to gather more people to agree with you and stroke your ego since you obviously don't have a minimum wage job.
Once they are on UE, they can apply for free training to get a skill that is marketable. It's not rocket science. Also, you just don't come into work one day and get blind sided that your company is going out of business or is moving offshore. Employees know well ahead of time for the most part and they refuse to take precautionary measures.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:51 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
And what of people who had a good paying job, a mortgage, a mid-level car, and then were laid off and have been fighting to find decent employment every since? Well most people would call them lazy since they are living off of unemployment, but minimum wage would be even less than their unemployment, and it may eventually come to that. Are they lazy? Is it their fault they were laid off? Is it their fault their world was turned upside down and now they need to scrape to get by on a minimum wage job?
Quote:

It's still called personnel responsiblity....did they not save, for that rainy day...or year?

Old 02-04-2014, 10:54 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
It's still called personnel responsiblity....did they not save, for that rainy day...or year?
He is trying to set up its the "evil corporations fault" whine. That's where I see him going.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:56 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I would go and complain to the architect of this economy. The current resident in the WH. His policies are decimating the private sector.
De-industrialization and off-shoring are trends since the 1980's - so sure - blame it on Obama.

Quote:
They then need to move to where the jobs are.
I don't know why this concept has died in the last 40 years.
The jobs moved to Asia.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:58 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Most of the people I know in low wage jobs (retail/fast food) are older and had better jobs - jobs that no longer exist. You can't bemoan "free trade", the loss of industrial sector jobs, and off-shoring and then blame the labor force because only low wage jobs are left. Industrial jobs were everywhere when I was a teen .. from machine operators to office staff to engineers. Those employers and jobs are gone - the factories turned into warehouses and now stand vacant or under-utilized.
While I don't disagree that there are factories sitting idle (mostly because they were made obsolete by technology, which by the way, someone had to develop and was employed to do so), there are also other industries that are booming (FedEx, UPS and others employee thousands in response to the explosion in online retailing and the need for shipping/warehouse/distribution services).

Also, look at the oil industry in the Dakotas, young people working hard, making more money than they ever could working for a Big 3 automaker in Detroit.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:06 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but in most jobs you can get laid off without any obligation from the employer. Are you saying it's of no concern that these people are out of work after working at a particular company for most of their life?
??? Are they not paid? If you work for a company for 10 years and each year you get paid as you both agreed, when you decide or leave or the company let you go, neither party owes the other party.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:14 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times
Quote:

No one is suddenly laid off. The writing is on the wall long before it happens. I blame the people who did not continue to gain new skills or who decided to stay "hoping" that they would be taken care of by "someone".

Old 02-04-2014, 11:18 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
That's what "at will" employment means. They can let you go with or without prior notice.

When you choose to work for someone, that comes with the employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies