Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 10:57 AM

924 posts, read 667,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
If you have to climb a mountain to get where you want to go, you have to do the climbing no matter what the weather is like, no matter how easy or difficult the trail becomes.

I have no problem helping those who stumble along the way as long as they are still trying to put one foot in front of the other.

But my hand does not extend to those who expect others to carry them up the mountain out of some twisted idea of fairness, that everyone should be able to get to the top regardless of effort.

.....that my friend, is the proverbial "whole other ball of wax".
What about the people born without feet
Or the people born in a helicopter heading up to the summit?

Bad analogy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 02:19 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
It's Bush's fault.

I was thinking thhis might make a good poll where the options are Nixon's fault, Clinton's fault, Bush's fault, Obama's fault.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:39 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
If you have to climb a mountain to get where you want to go, you have to do the climbing no matter what the weather is like, no matter how easy or difficult the trail becomes.

I have no problem helping those who stumble along the way as long as they are still trying to put one foot in front of the other.

But my hand does not extend to those who expect others to carry them up the mountain out of some twisted idea of fairness, that everyone should be able to get to the top regardless of effort.

.....that my friend, is the proverbial "whole other ball of wax".

As for the next poster's comment, which was snarky, when the 99% who can improve themselves , do improve themselves, society will, as always, come through to help the 1% who truly cannot. They are the exceptions, not the rule.

As for the 99%, BYOM...Bring Your Own Motivation. That is where it starts. If you don't, I have no qualms about you making minimum wage for life, and no issues with corps who are truly generous to pay you even that.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:14 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,655,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
If hard work is so virtuous, why does not having to work make one a gentleman?
I believe in the past rich men had higher rank and more rights than everyone else, and the rights of the rich in the past were much greater than today.

Examples,

In the past knights were nothing but rich men, they were the only ones who could afford armor. The Knights would fight side by side with their fellow poor countrymen. But when a poor soldier was captured on the battlefield he was killed, but when a rich knight was captured he was not killed. Instead the knight was taken prisoner and freed after his family gave the opposing army some money.

Or in Americas past only rich men were allowed to duel. If a rich man insulted another rich man, the rich man who insulted the other had to apologize. If he did not apologize he had to duel, or be branded a coward.

But if a poor man insulted a rich man, the rich man would take no action. Instead the rich man would send his servants to beat the poor man who insulted him with a cane or stick.

And it was illegal for poor men to duel.

I believe the customs of respecting rich men who did not work came from Europe's past, Europe had kings and royalty who did not work. The royalty back then were highly respected and poor people had to call them things like "your highness" or "Sir", and if they did not call them these things they were punished.

I would assume the rights of the rich in Early America, were customs transferred from European Royalty, and those rights were given to the rich instead of kings, princes, or dukes.

I never knew any of these things until I picked up a history fact book a few years back. I read about duels Andrew Jackson had, I found them interesting and started reading about stuff like the above.

Chad.

Last edited by chad3; 02-08-2014 at 04:04 PM..

Old 02-08-2014, 03:29 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic Magnet View Post
Anything stopping you from carrying them? Or do you think it makes you noble to demand that I carry them?
Quote:
This stops anyone else from climbing? Does it change the nature of the mountain itself? Does it change the climbing process for everyone else? Or does it just make you angry that those folks have an easier time getting to the top than you?
Quote:
Bad analogy.
Perfect analogy actually, because it elicited the replies from you that reveal your hatred of your fellow man.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:18 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:

Bad analogy.
In reality there are very few people born with "no feet".

There are certainly some people who are born with longer legs than others and some people are born with more natural ability and a greater desire to climb than others.....that's life.

Myself, I only have a 29 inch inseam, but it did not take me long to figure out that wasting my time cursing those who were born with legs up to their neck is not nearly as productive as building myself a pair of stilts.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:03 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,367,774 times
Basically what boils down the moronic counter argument to raising the MW is - "If we raise wages, then they have no incentive to get a better job!"

Terrible logic and completely ignores the fact that people against raising the MW don't WANT these people to succeed. They see them as lazy, incompetent fools. Still, the labor is needed, and someone's gotta do it. Whoever decides to do it should be paid a fair wage.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is the person who sees all min wage workers as hard working victims of circumstance. I kind of fall here, due to my own situation, but this is probably an inaccurate portrayal.

I think society has convinced a lot of people to stop trying. The system doesn't encourage upward mobility, it discourages it. Sure, you can call this "laziness" - but just try to convince someone who had a terrible primary education, is of average/below average intelligence, and is a single parent that going to the local community college is not a huge waste of time/valuable resources. Raising the minimum wage might free up resources so these people CAN pursue a better job, it wouldn't discourage them. And even if they are content working at Walmart their entire lives - why the **** do you care?

Old 02-09-2014, 05:23 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Just because someone has a great deal of knowledge and expertise in a field, it doesn't mean that "they have what it takes' to be a manager. It also doesn't mean that they love their field of work so much, that they want to take it home with them, either. Some people simply are not willing to sacrifice their "own time".....their personal time, for a few more $$ per hr.
That's fine but why are they the very people that complain that they don't get paid enough?

Old 02-09-2014, 05:25 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I am going to report you to the moderator. We all know "personal responsibility" is a dirty word. You should be ashamed for mentioning it.
It's also among the words which are considered "racist".

Old 02-09-2014, 06:12 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
No way! Moon bats are running all over the place telling everyone how great Obummers made up unemployment numbers are. Jobs everywhere..

Good God, it's pathetic. There's no jobs we need freebies then we hear look how low the unemployment rate is

round and round we go where stupid stops nobody knows.

The ignorant will buy it every time.
The more ignorant you are, the easier you are to control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies