Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 01:50 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times

Advertisements

Portland has been approving micro homes on properties as a test for a bit now. So far I havent heard of any unique issues with allowing them.

That being said if he wants to try something he should put together a package and see how it flies. I've thought large efficiency housing units could be done inexpensively. yeah we'd pack people in like rats, but it could be done in a really inexpensive manner.

You'd definitely have to put it where the NIMBY folks with money wouldn't be disturbed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 02:42 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
You need to look at how local councils and redevelopment agencies work. Affordable housing is tied into this also. Liberal or conservatives doesn't matter here. They are all laughing on their way to the bank.

Originally Posted by CDusr
However, a much bigger issue if you look at the AG21 action planning and the "sustainable" development (smart growth), you can see the model is to stack people in urban areas and cities. Redevelopment agencies and master plans are an important component here. They tie in transportation dollars, as well.
IT TAKES GUTS - DEMOCRATS* AGAINST* U. N.* AGENDA* 21
quote:
"The governments of Cleveland City, Bradley County and Charleston City, recently contracted with consultation group for $250,000, paid for by your tax dollars, to develop a plan called BCC 2035. This plan is based on the concepts of sustainable development, a managed growth plan for our area that is implemented through new land use regulations and restrictions.

"Q. What does this mean to you as a resident or local business owner?

A. Your homes and businesses are targeted by this plan for demolition andredevelopment!! No Joke! I have the documentation to prove it! It’s called “Central City Area Plan – Themes White Paper with Draft Goals and Recommendations.” Call city Planner Greg Thomas or Rick Russell at BPR, who is the paid consultant for the plan, and ask for a copy.

"Q. How can they do it?

A. The city, local housing authority, or appointed representatives, can use any of several tactics, including: citing your property as an eyesore or blight increasing code enforcement, and possibly using eminent domain to remove you from your property.

"Q. How will they pay for all of this development?

A. This may be the worst part: You do! You will pay for a portion of your property taxes to repay bond debt incurred through a tool called Tax Increment Financing. Money will be diverted from our general fund to pay these debts that will be used to destroy you, all in the name of “creating jobs.”

For those who are not familiar with PPP's/NGO's and how redevelopment works. They should read this. It shows how more is privatized without voter input. That is also why it is Regionalized. (Corporate merger, like EU. Less public say-so. Done administratively.)

Coalition for Redevelopment Reform
quote:
State law allows a city council to create a redevelopment agency to administer one or more "project areas" within its boundaries. An area may be small, or it can encompass the entire city.
These project areas are governed by a redevelopment agency with its own staff and governing board, appointed by a city council.
Thus, an agency and city may appear to be one entity. Usually city councils appoint themselves as agency board members, with council meetings doubling as redevelopment meetings. Legally, however, a redevelopment agency is an entirely separate government authority, with its own revenue, budget, staff and expanded powers to issue debt and condemn private property.

Redevelopment: The Unknown Government (773k PDF)

Old 02-07-2014, 02:46 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
One day folks, in particular liberals, will get it but we're a long way off from that day.

Cities pour gas on affordability fire | UTSanDiego.com

Quote:
The trend is evident all over the state. In San Francisco, a subsidized project recently set its qualifying income cutoff at $140,000 a year for a family of four.

So California’s affordability crisis, which long ago spread from the poor into the middle class, is well into the six figures.

Consider two details: In 2013, more homes were built in Houston, which has no formal zoning rules, than in all of California, which has thousands of restrictions. As for costs, the existing residential permit fees in Carlsbad could pay the entire construction cost of a new house in San Antonio.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:18 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
One day folks, in particular liberals, will get it but we're a long way off from that day.

Cities pour gas on affordability fire | UTSanDiego.com
Houston is on open, expandable land; San Francisco is on limited peninsula land, see the difference?

Old 02-07-2014, 04:20 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Houston is on open, expandable land; San Francisco is on limited peninsula land, see the difference?
Read the article. Maybe then you'll see the difference.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:29 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Read the article. Maybe then you'll see the difference.
I did, what's wrong with San Francisco making sure they have housing for the middle class? That is a common practice in the most expensive cities. Houston can just keep sprawling until it consumes all the rural land around it in the name of cheaper housing.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:13 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
They did it by making them really small. I have no problem with that as units of all different sizes should be built in order to fill all segments of the market and right now zoning laws are to blame for not allowing micro apartments. That said, we've discussed this topic many times before here at CDF and we always seem to get the crazy nutjob right wingers who listen to conspiracy websites claiming that the government getting out of the way and letting the free market work is some how part of some stupid UN conspiracy theory. We're talking barking mad conspiracy nuts.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:15 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
In my experience, conservatives tend to support exclusionary zoning every bit as much as liberals - and then some.
Oh, absolutely. It's really more of a NIMBY thing than a left-right thing.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:25 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
This probably belongs in the Portland forum, but it is very interesting topic that does need to be addressed. I can see something passing in Portland, but not without regulations to prevent developers from building micro units just to charge higher rents.

This is also where the light rail comes into play because affordable housing like this should be built close to light rail stops.

$70K a unit is a good deal if the quality of building isn't lacking, I don't think building requirements should be reduced for affordable housing when it comes to what is required with market rate housing.

I posted it here because "affordable housing" is VERY controversial in this country, plus I thought it would be good to enable readers all over to learn about and discuss this in the hope of promoting similar applications.

This is the part of town experiencing wholesale arrival of the poor and gangbangers being displaced by gentrification elsewhere, so I expect this place to soon be overrun with thugs. But that's just my classism showing.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:30 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Portland has been approving micro homes on properties as a test for a bit now. So far I havent heard of any unique issues with allowing them.

That being said if he wants to try something he should put together a package and see how it flies. I've thought large efficiency housing units could be done inexpensively. yeah we'd pack people in like rats, but it could be done in a really inexpensive manner.

You'd definitely have to put it where the NIMBY folks with money wouldn't be disturbed.

Microhomes + Portland = massively overpriced hipster housing. Not even REMOTELY affordable to the working poor or even the working class. These micro homes have been controversial because they have caused parking shortages in neighborhoods where develowithoyut roviding sufficient on-site parking.pers were allowed to build them. I do not have a car, so I am opposed to screwing people without cars by mandating extra (unaffordable to the car-less) parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies