Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 04:36 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
This doesn't prove a thing, just that some districts are more strict than others. That's the whole point. And the person above who said they were going to start pushing internet voting, that's the worst idea ever. I don't even like the computer touch-screen voting system we have in my district. I like real ballots that can be checked and re-checked if there's a need for a recount. The other way is just too open to fraud or manipulation.
Sorry but there is no system more subject to and as easily defrauded as the paper ballot. Take out a bunch of ballots that you don't like and add a set you do...easy as that.

Trying to prevent some single individual from voting illegally is simply not a doable task You simply establish an identity or assume one. But that is a lot of work and trouble and at best adds one vote to a set of candidates. What you really try to prevent is stuffing a ballot box or creating a couple of thousand absentee votes.

I would think you could much better control an internet voting scheme than you can absentee ballots.

Again try and find some examples of illegal voting by proxy. I don't think there are any.

And sure you can back check a vote. Simple sample as many voters as you wish and ask if they have in fact voted and where. Virtually all inconsistent records back checked have proven to be clerical error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 04:48 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You guys keep saying there is no proof of voter fraud, when I can make up a fraudulent name, and vote, because no one asks to verify who I am. It's tough to prove voter fraud when no one is requiring a verified identification, don't you think?

It's like the old saying "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" If I create a make believe person on paper, and no one checks my ID, can anyone detect voter fraud?

We even had people posting videos of themselves posing as other people at a polling place on election day, and being handed the other person's ballot. The one guy even went to attorney general Eric Holder's district and all he had to do was fake Holder's signature and voted in place. as long as you fake a signature for someone on the list, you are golden.
And virtually anyone can walk into a bank, hand the teller a note claiming a gun and demanding money and then walk out with the money. But people don't do that do they?

So the issue is not that the system can be conned but that it does not appear to be done very often. IN fact the known instances appear close to zero.

However there are a number of instances where people illegal to vote did so with photo ID.

One thing that does come up that we can all agree on is that the voting rolls should be well maintained and that does not appear to be the case. So there is an area where we might all agree on a careful review of the rolls. That is of course not a license for some partisan to throw all the hispanic names off. But done well it might be a good change.

Doubt whether the Repubs will go for it though. Has no obvious partisan outcome.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:52 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,478,798 times
Yeh, true. What does it say that a potential just doesn't seem to be used? I could slug everyone I meet on the street. But I don't ever do it. So why bother to prevent me from doing what I'm not that interested in doing. And if ballots are SO easy to defraud, does that mean Republicans know it from doing it for years?

Old 02-13-2014, 07:14 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Just because you think voter fraud isn't very real doesn't mean that it's not.
Just because you think voter fraud doesn't mean it is if you lack the proof to prove that it is very real.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:54 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"has made it perfectly clear that voter ID is about voter suppression."

That is NOT what he said.

Ii never ceases to amaze me how how some can read an article and come up with such garbage.
Welcome to liberal bizzaro world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies