Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 03:05 PM

878 posts, read 737,936 times

Advertisements

I don't like this one bit. According to Holder:

The laws were not intended to improve public safety but rather "to stigmatize, shame, and shut out a person who had been found guilty of a crime."

The way I see this is Holder is speaking as a black man who sees blacks as being disproportionately jailed in America and thus disproportionately disenfranchised. What I want to know is will this open the door for violent felons to include the right to own and possess firearms as well?

It's Time to Let Felons Vote, Holder Says - NBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 03:06 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Eric Holder has confirmed my opinion that he is a moron.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:08 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
This is not about righting a wrong or an outdated policy. This is because convicts have proven to be reliable Democratic voters.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, happens in this Administration without some sort of benefit to Democrats.

Barack Obama and Eric Holder are scum.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...-Vote-Democrat

Old 02-11-2014, 03:09 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
Felons are Democrats.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:10 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,097,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This is not about righting a wrong or an outdated policy. This is because ex-convencts have proven to be reliable Democratic voters.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, happens in this Administration without some sort of benefit to Democrats.

Barack Obama and Eric Holder are scum.

Study: Most Convicts Vote Democrat
And what exactly is the justification to permanently disenfranchise them but to make sure less of them vote for Democrats?

Old 02-11-2014, 03:12 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,097,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Felons are Democrats.
Is that why you don't want them to vote? That would seem a worse stance than wanting them to vote because they are Democrats.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:12 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Under no circumstances should we disenfranchise people from the right to vote. Felons or not, these are our fellow Americans.

Stating they shouldnt have the right to vote because they might vote democrat means that really...you are not a person that believes in democracy.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:13 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
And what exactly is the justification to permanently disenfranchise them but to make sure less of them vote for Democrats?
They have proven that they have abandoned the rule of law. As such, they abrogate the right to vote.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:15 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,231,938 times
He has a lot in common with felons I can understand his loyalty.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:15 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Reid View Post
I don't like this one bit. According to Holder:

The laws were not intended to improve public safety but rather "to stigmatize, shame, and shut out a person who had been found guilty of a crime."

The way I see this is Holder is speaking as a black man who sees blacks as being disproportionately jailed in America and thus disproportionately disenfranchised. What I want to know is will he include the felons the right to own possess and use firearms too?

It's Time to Let Felons Vote, Holder Says - NBC News
Considering that the purpose of a prison sentence is claimed to be rehabilitation, I've always wondered exactly why someone lost their right to vote once their sentence had been served. As far as I'm concerned, if a felon has served their sentence and is deemed fit to return to society, they should regain all rights that they lost when they were convicted. Yes, this includes not only the right to vote but also the right to own a firearm. For that matter, if it were up to me there would be no public record of conviction once the sentence had been served and therefore no discrimination because of a previous conviction.

Seriously, if you're going to screw up someone's entire life because of a mistake they made when they were young and stupid, you might as well keep them in prison. If the crime is severe enough to warrant the loss of all rights, then the crime is severe enough to warrant a mandatory life without parole sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies