Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 01:41 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,662,149 times

Advertisements

This may have been discussed before, but I don't think so.

What do you all think of this paper written by a famous economist named Oded Galore? This paper links genetic diversity to economic development. He argues that Africa having very high levels of genetic diversity has led to low levels of innovation and economic development, while Native Americans having very low levels of genetic diversity suffering through low levels of innovation and economic development. Asian and European lands see a moderate level of diversity which can attribute to their historical success and economic development.

Note: Economic development isn't just money in this sense. It refers to innovations, creations, stability and growth in civilization.

http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Eco...10-7_paper.pdf

Interesting stuff if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 01:49 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post

Only if you completely ignore the history of, or more to the point, the willful retardation of economic development of both African and native people.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:55 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,454,995 times
Quote:
If you're into bad data and white-power overtones.
Critics of this study outnumber its supporters.
Actually - I don't know of any supporters.

By claiming a causal link between the degree of genetic heterogeneity and economic development, their thesis could be interpreted to suggest that increasing or decreasing a nation’s genetic (or ethnic) diversity would promote prosperity. Ultimately, this can provide fodder to those looking to justify policies ranging from mistreatment of immigrants to ethnic cleansing (especially by groups with real political power, e.g., Golden Dawn in Greece).

We are not concerned here with the authors’ own social or political attitudes. Rather, we wish to emphasize the irresponsibility of bad science. In the social sciences, scientific methods are an extremely powerful tool for analyzing trends in an empirically demonstrable manner and thus have the important opportunity to guide political action. When used improperly or when it is of dubious quality, however, science can become a justification for reactionary policy. The dismal nature of economics is often appealed to when facts contradict a desired reality. However, we are not arguing a case for blissful ignorance.

What we see in Ashraf and Galor’s study is the worst of all worlds: something false and undesirable.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:00 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,685,226 times
Quote:

What do you all think of this paper written by a famous economist named Oded Galore? This paper links genetic diversity to economic development. He argues that Africa having very high levels of genetic diversity has led to low levels of innovation and economic development, while Native Americans having very low levels of genetic diversity suffering through low levels of innovation and economic development. Asian and European lands see a moderate level of diversity which can attribute to their historical success and economic development.

Note: Economic development isn't just money in this sense. It refers to innovations, creations, stability and growth in civilization.

Native Americans had low levels of innovation? Incas and Mayans?

Old 02-11-2014, 03:02 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,390,380 times
Quote:

I think his name sounds like a tranny stripper.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:04 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
I like Jared Diamond's theory explained in his book "Germs, Guns and Steel" much better. That the fates of human societies really comes down to geography.

Diversity has tended be a negative, one group will always screw over another group.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:10 PM

The Middle East and Med region was much more developed than Europe was in terms of science and technology, and the genetics of the region cluster closer to Africans than Europeans themselves. This fact debunks this thesis. What a joke

Economists are not anthropologists.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:16 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
I think the ability to interact with and build upon innovations of a lot of different groups is far more important to success (as measured by technological development).

By accident of geography, Sub-Saharan Africa and the Natives were essentially cut off from the flow and trade of ideas, commerce and technology innovations that Europeans, Middle-Easterners/North Africans and Asians were able to take advantage of and build upon.

They did their own innovation, but they probably would have been further along if they could access the thousands of years of human exchange going on in Asia and Europe.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I think the ability to interact with and build upon innovations of a lot of different groups is far more important to success (as measured by technological development).

By accident of geography, Sub-Saharan Africa and the Natives were essentially cut off from the flow and trade of ideas, commerce and technology innovations that Europeans, Middle-Easterners/North Africans and Asians were able to take advantage of and build upon.

They did their own innovation, but they probably would have been further along if they could access the thousands of years of human exchange going on in Asia and Europe.

How did the study measure innovation? Because innovation could be subjective. I will have to read the methodology of the study to find out. I do know that Amerindians did have sophisticated societies. Some regions were far from primitive. There were trade networks, calendars, governments, and architectures.

Furthermore, genetic homogeneity does not account for cultural diversity. Europeans and Asians have moderate genetic diversity, yet both groups had diverse ethnic groups. Different religions were practiced and languages spoken.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:46 PM

Anthro blog debunks Ashraf and Galor

Old Bones: Look what the economists do with human diversity data
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies