Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think white privilege conference name is offensive?
Yes 40 44.44%
No 50 55.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 06:52 PM

3,769 posts, read 4,115,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I'm in favor of anything that keeps a bunch of liberals locked up in a room for a few hours.

Good one!! A few hours, or a few days, or a few weeks; the damage will be done when they come out of the meeting and try to force their beliefs on society.

I have no problem with the title of the conference as it probably describes what will be discussed at the conference. I am sure I would have problems with what is being discussed, so it is good that I wasn't invited.

Last edited by james777; 02-12-2014 at 07:25 PM..

Old 02-12-2014, 07:25 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,388,891 times
Well, there are plenty of Native Leadership conferences, Black leadership conferences, why not having one minor White?

Old 02-12-2014, 11:32 PM

874 posts, read 1,650,281 times
What if there was a White History Month or a National Association for the Advancement of White People or a White Entertainment Channel?

Double standard, isn't?

Old 02-13-2014, 01:40 AM

90 posts, read 94,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImMovingVerySoon View Post
I'm not white but will weigh in on this discussion. While I don't believe affirmative action is perfect, I do believe that it's a necessary evil. It prevents the majority from disciminating against minorities even more than they already do.

As far as white privilege, it absolutely exists. It's not as prevalant in entry and mid level jobs, but the hire you climb the corporate ladder, the more racial discrimination subtly rears it's ugly head.

On every social, political, economical, and educational level whites are given an unfair advantage. They don't have to label their meetings White this or that...All they have to do is live in White America and it's said loud and clear, not in so many words, but it's loud and clear.
Human nature to (job interview/early partnership) flock to those most similar to us

I recently saw this in play on American Idol. 100 strangers were instructed to create groups of 3 and 4. Guess what happened? The groups were all divided by 1) Gender 2) Race

You are complaining how non-White races are treated in White markets. Are Blacks treated better in Asian markets? Middle Eastern markets? Am I to assume I (White) would not be discriminated against in African markets?

USA (melting pot society) will not have a completely diverse job market until Africa improves. Then you will see more qualified Africans immigrate to work in the USA and hire their own. "African-Americans" aka USA blacks have shown marginal improvement in non-athletic industries. South America also needs to pick up the pace.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:56 AM

2,941 posts, read 4,135,370 times
Did anyone actually click the link? The conference is about white privilege and how white people are oppressors.

So in that context yes, I do find the title offensive and racist.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:52 AM

358 posts, read 512,933 times
I don't care. It has nothing to do with me.

I have to go to bed so I can get up to go to work, you know?

Old 02-13-2014, 03:32 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,555,252 times
For as badly as life has treated me, I have a hard time with the concept of "white privilege".

Old 02-13-2014, 03:43 AM

2,941 posts, read 4,135,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
for ex, I'm white, I certainly don't think I'm better than anyone based on skin color. But if I am arrested for something, my chances of being beat up by the cops - everything else being equal - are a whole lot less than if I'm non-white.
But are they? Because a lot of research on the matter says that, all other things equal, you really aren't any better off being white. And that a lot of the reasons for the disparity is that black people are a lot more likely to live in places where violent confrontations with police are common and where there's a culture of challenging police during stops. So is the privilege really about being white or is it about not living in violent communities.

While I think the police and criminal justice system need to be reformed I think that education and other interventions of the social service network are even more important.

I've lived in a lot of different places in my day from poor to middle-class and from mostly white to me and my brother being the only white kids around. When I was little and living in the South Bronx my mom couldn't send me down to the corner for milk without the cops asking me if I was lost. As a teenager through to my early 20s I would get stopped and frisked constantly because cops that I hadn't run into yet would think that I was there to buy drugs. My brother was badly beaten by a rookie cop (who was black) because my brother's friend was playing his car stereo too loudly outside of the old police chief's brother's house. When I was in the Army and used to drive home whenever I had some time off I would get pulled over like clockwork because the cops thought I was a drug mule - my car was searched half a dozen times before I thought to start showing my military ID instead of my drivers license. That only worked half the time. I had cops pull guns on me 3x and once in Richmond I was pulled over by a group of undercover cops and even after they frisked me, searched my car and knew I wasn't armed the one cop still held his gun on me for another 5 minutes while they harassed me about speeding (they got me on I-95 where the speed limit drops from 65 to 55).

Just two years ago, while the cops were arresting someone outside my door (in the middle of the day) I walked over to the window to see what the commotion was and a cop was screaming at me to "get back in the f****** house" I said "i'm already in my house" to which he replied "OK smart***, get away from the f****** window or I'll kick your door in and you can join this a*****e" (btw - the suspect was asian and was being arrested for an assault the day before)

The year before that I was walking to my brother's house and while crossing a busier street in South Philly a white guy goes running past me followed by 4 plainclothes cops (also white) who tackle the guy in the middle of the street. While he's resisting and cursing at them one of the cops was pounding away on the side of the guys face. A bunch of us (mostly white) were gathered on the corner watching all of it and a uniformed cop pulled up, jumped out of his car and charged at us screaming "if you don't get the f*** out of here you're all going for a ride."

Cops are cops everywhere. What they do is mostly based on the culture of the force they work for and the politics of that city or town. They don't care if you're white - although they care about is whether or not you have the means to lawyer up and make their life hell. I've also observed that the poorer the place and/or individual the more likely the people were to be drunk or high when the police approached them, more likely to resist arrest and otherwise be exceedingly aggressive and confrontational. Most white kids I knew growing up were taught to be cool, calm and cooperative and to never argue and to just try to get out of the situation without getting arrested. Most black kids I knew growing up had parents who only described police using 3 or 4-letter words. Needless to say the kids mimicked their parents.

I guess the other problem is the terminology. If you get paid $9/hr and I get paid $9.25/hr is that really a privilege? Is it really a privilege if you're only going to be beat up by police 2% of the time instead of 3% of the time? Or is that terminology unnecessarily divisive? If you want to create a better outcome for everyone wouldn't solidarity be a better tool?

With the number of white people in the bottom 40% exceeding the total number of blacks & latinos in the US using the term "white privilege" comes across as ignorant, bigoted and deliberately divisive.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:05 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,486,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantabriansea View Post
First, I'm not a tea party wasp or member of a far right party in fact I'm Spanish.
A few days ago I found that there's an anual conference called the white privilege conference

White Privilege Conference

I don't know why did they choose that name... what do they try to say? That white population has a priveleged status?

What would they think if a conference called the black ( hispanic, whatever) privilege conference existed?
Do they really think that white people have more social privilege than other racial- ethnical groups?...
Is there any kind of quota at universities for white people, as there is for some racial group?
Should we consider then "affirmative action" policy a kind of discrimination against white people?
I think white population has no more privileges, or even less than the rest of the population.

So I consider that name offensive and xenophobic.

what do you think?
White privilege is real, but invisible to most white people. The main form white racism takes nowadays is "color-blindness." Most white people simply cannot see that racism exists, unless the supposed victim of racism is white.

White people are still doing better economically and socially than just about any other group. There are some groups of Asians who are better off than white people are on average, but that is due to selective immigration (these Asian immigrants are usually drawn from the elite of their own societies). Broadly speaking, there are only two possible explanations for why white people still do better than everyone else economically and socially:

1) White people do better because systemic inequalities limit the life chances of certain groups, particularly blacks and Latinos.

2) White people do better because they are racially superior.

There's really no third option. Whether they admit it or not, most white people believe the latter. The difference between now and 50 years ago is that now, instead of talking about whites' superior genes, they talk about whites' superior "culture." But it is basically the same argument.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:29 AM

770 posts, read 1,132,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantabriansea View Post
First, I'm not a tea party wasp or member of a far right party in fact I'm Spanish.
A few days ago I found that there's an anual conference called the white privilege conference

White Privilege Conference

I don't know why did they choose that name... what do they try to say? That white population has a priveleged status?

What would they think if a conference called the black ( hispanic, whatever) privilege conference existed?
Do they really think that white people have more social privilege than other racial- ethnical groups?...
Is there any kind of quota at universities for white people, as there is for some racial group?
Should we consider then "affirmative action" policy a kind of discrimination against white people?
I think white population has no more privileges, or even less than the rest of the population.

So I consider that name offensive and xenophobic.

what do you think?

White Privilege is just another liberal false construct. It is connected to the same body of buffons that deny nature and reality. Of course, this conference is in Madison, a place where the liberals thrive while other young Americans go and die to defend our nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies