Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:50 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
If we voters would vote out all our career politicians that would be a good start to ending Crony Capitalism. However, I would bet most voters don't even know the definition of Crony Capitalism, much less could give an example of it.

It would be a great thing. Too bad there is too much partisan hackery, and the fact that people treat politics like a sporting event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 08:57 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Why is it "crony capitalism"? Why not just capitalism? Capitalism is like this everywhere with the minor exception of the social democratic versions of the Northern European models, Canada and Australia/NZ.

I don't get all these names to try and explain away the notion that unbridled capitalism might be flawed; crony capitalism and corporatism. These aren't serious terms. They sound like conjured up buzz words by libertarians like the word "statism".

Old 02-13-2014, 09:00 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
It's only unacceptable when we have an (R) in the Oval Office.

Since we had a (D) now, things are fine and dandy. Especially where Hollywood is concerned.
Obama is the chief Crony Capitalist and doesn't even try to hide it.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:13 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Why is it "crony capitalism"? Why not just capitalism?
Because it's not capitalism.

Quote:
Capitalism is like this everywhere with the minor exception of the social democratic versions of the Northern European models, Canada and Australia/NZ.
Yes, I agree that Crony Capitalism exists around the world.

Quote:
I don't get all these names to try and explain away the notion that unbridled capitalism might be flawed; crony capitalism and corporatism. These aren't serious terms. They sound like conjured up buzz words by libertarians like the word "statism".
And yes, it is a serious term. Google it and maybe you will learn something.

Oh, BTW, where have you seen "unbridled capitalism"?

Old 02-13-2014, 09:28 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Because it's not capitalism.

Yes, I agree that Crony Capitalism exists around the world.

And yes, it is a serious term. Google it and maybe you will learn something.

Oh, BTW, where have you seen "unbridled capitalism"?
I've heard those terms before but mostly by libertarians who have rectified the language and inserted their presuppositions into the public discourse.

Crony capitalism is just corruption. Corporatism is another way to explain away capitalisms faults. Because "true" capitalism wouldn't falter right?

When was not capitalism crony? During the Robber baron years? During the slave trade? The early days of colonialism? The days before a successful labor movement? When the US would overthrow democratically elected leaders on behalf of major corporations like the United Fruit Co?

When was it this pure thing? The best times were during the period of 1950-1980 when it was regulated and labor was strong

Old 02-13-2014, 09:36 AM

924 posts, read 667,400 times
Quote:
Stop all corporate bailouts and subsidies. That would be a good start.
Yeah?

Gonna pass that legislation through the corporate owned House first, or the corporate owned Senate?

Oh I know, you could make a PSA and air it on corporate owned news stations.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:37 AM

924 posts, read 667,400 times
Quote:
I've heard those terms before but mostly by libertarians who have rectified the language and inserted their presuppositions into the public discourse.

Crony capitalism is just corruption. Corporatism is another way to explain away capitalisms faults. Because "true" capitalism wouldn't falter right?

When was not capitalism crony? During the Robber baron years? During the slave trade? The early days of colonialism? The days before a successful labor movement? When the US would overthrow democratically elected leaders on behalf of major corporations like the United Fruit Co?

When was it this pure thing? The best times were during the period of 1950-1980 when it was regulated and labor was strong
Yes!

Old 02-13-2014, 09:40 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Obama is the chief Crony Capitalist and doesn't even try to hide it.
80% of Green Energy Loans Went to Obama Donors
Jobs Panel Member's Solar Firm Won $2 Billion In Loan Guarantees
Obama's Growing Green Energy Scandal Is More Than Just The Failure Of Solyndra - Investors.com
Venture capitalists play key role in Obama's Energy Department - The Washington Post

And it goes on, and on... Obama is the biggest most corrupt crony capitalist we have ever seen

Old 02-13-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:

Yup, good old 1950-1980. That was back in the good old days when the rest of the world was still trying to rebuild after WW II, and if something looked like crap, people would joke "Was that made in Japan."

Once Europe and Asia got their feet under them and started to compete with US manufacturers, then GM and Ford could not get away with junk cars with a laughable "12 month or 12,000 mile" new car warranty anymore.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Why is it "crony capitalism"? Why not just capitalism? Capitalism is like this everywhere with the minor exception of the social democratic versions of the Northern European models, Canada and Australia/NZ.

You only mock those terms because you are ignorant about what they mean.

The difference between capitalism and crony capitalism is:

Capitalism is a business offering me a product or service, and me making an informed decision to purchase it because I think it has value to me.

Crony capitalism is corrupt politicians taking our tax dollars and giving it to businesses and organizations that are either owned by or employ a politician's political friends and campaign donors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies