Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 01:33 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
You said "men" plural.
Yes. I held up one person of a larger group in what is known as an "example".

Quote:
I just think blaming everything you perceive as being negative on men, whites, etc. isn't exactly fair or even a good strategy.
Being that I don't blame "everything I perceive as being negative on men, whites, etc.", I have no idea what point you're trying to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 02:03 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Common sense is breaking out. The two chambers futzed around with the amendment long enough until, oh darn, it just couldn't make the deadline, too bad. Looks like the smarter among the Republicans are recognizing a losing battle when they see it.

Meanwhile, the true believers are freaking out, of course:

RTV6 - Indiana State Sen. Mike Delph in Twitter war over gay marriage ban - Politics Story

Scared old men watching in befuddlement as power is slipping away from them, always great entertainment.

They had to pass the same Amendment (with no changes) that they passed in 2011 in order to get on the ballot. However, they no longer had the votes to pass the same Amendment they passed in 2011 (which also banned Civil Unions) despite the fact the makeup of the State Senate was unchanged and the State Assembly is even more Republican now than it was when it was passed in 2011.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:17 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
They had to pass the same Amendment (with no changes) that they passed in 2011 in order to get on the ballot. However, they no longer had the votes to pass the same Amendment they passed in 2011 (which also banned Civil Unions) despite the fact the makeup of the State Senate was unchanged and the State Assembly is even more Republican now than it was when it was passed in 2011.
Ah - appears I have been fed some bad information. Well, excellent even so. If the Republicans are abandoning the cause, goo.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Ah - appears I have been fed some bad information. Well, excellent even so. If the Republicans are abandoning the cause, goo.
The House took out the language that banning the Civil unions when they passed the bill. The State Senate could have added the language back into the bill via an Amendment and sent it back to the House. A few State Senators spoke about adding an Amendment with the language back into the bill, but when given the opportunity to do so declined because they realized they didn't have the votes.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:07 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Yes. I held up one person of a larger group in what is known as an "example".

Being that I don't blame "everything I perceive as being negative on men, whites, etc.", I have no idea what point you're trying to make.
You specified "old" men when the majority of "old" women are also against gay marriage.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:19 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
INDIANAPOLIS -- A constitutional ban on same-sex marriage in Indiana won't go to voters in November — and may never.

Same-sex marriage ban stalls in Indiana
The anti-gay zealots shot themselves in the foot by trying to insist that the original language that also banned same-sex civil unions be reinstated.

So much for the disingenuous claim of 'we're just protecting traditional marriage!".

Old 02-14-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
The anti-gay zealots shot themselves in the foot by trying to insist that the original language that also banned same-sex civil unions be reinstated.

So much for the disingenuous claim of 'we're just protecting traditional marriage!".
The only way the Amendment would have gotten on the ballot is if that language was reinstated, as the same Amendment needs to pass two separately elected Houses in two consecutive sessions. They screwed up when then put that language in the initial bill. They had enough votes to pass it in 2011, but as the landscape changes and more and more realized the bill was discriminatory they no longer had the votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies