Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 03:10 PM

27,306 posts, read 16,281,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Wow, I actually agree with T-310 for once.

Let me tell you why; up in the DC area my best friend is in IT working in the private sector and makes around 50k a year. His friend who knows about a tenth as much as him and has no college makes 3 times more as a contractor for the NSA. This is BS!
Clinton slashed the military budget and used the money to contract out functions the military used to exclusively handle. One of those functions is intelligence gathering and analyzing. So Clinton got to say he saved money when in reality he made it available to contractors to put more people to work.

Blackwater and many more organizations profit from contracts for the military. Why Iraq coalition Gov demanded the private security companies get out of Iraq due to the indiscriminate killing they were engaged in.

This is the end result of that program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 03:12 PM

924 posts, read 669,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Not the part the Republicans will go along with, no. Face it, the GOP has its hands in the POCKETS of the national security industries. Won't get a single Republican vote (beyond maybe Rand Paul) to defund what must be a trillion dollar industry.
Bingo.

Majority of wasted taxpayer money goes to corporate subsidy, namely defense contractors.

Carlyle Group anyone?

Old 02-14-2014, 03:12 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,507,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Clinton slashed the military budget and used the money to contract out functions the military used to exclusively handle. One of those functions is intelligence gathering and analyzing. So Clinton got to say he saved money when in reality he made it available to contractors to put more people to work.

Blackwater and many more organizations profit from contracts for the military. Why Iraq coalition Gov demanded the private security companies get out of Iraq due to the indiscriminate killing they were engaged in.

This is the end result of that program.
They NEVER point out where Republican votes were in any of these budgetary actions. Yeh, I do know how Clinton triangulated off what Republicans would have done anyway, but it is historical revisionism to think Clinton somehow rammed any budget down the throats of Republican opposition.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:24 PM

3,954 posts, read 5,109,558 times
I watched a news program recently were they said that the riches area codes in the U.S. are no longer in New York for Wall Street, or California for Hollywood but rather in Virginia for defense contractors. It's obvious too by the way that Sen. Dianne Feinstein and Rep. Mike Rogers shill for their wealthy patrons the Surveillance Industrial Complex.

Hey, didn't DNI James Clapper come from contractor Booze Allen Hamilton, too?

Old 02-14-2014, 03:29 PM

Two places I know have always been up there. Connecticut (insurance) and Virginia (federal pork) You hear all sort of nonsense about the need to eliminate pork, but incumbents just want to keep serving it up and getting re-elected.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
I watched a news program recently were they said that the riches area codes in the U.S. are no longer in New York for Wall Street, or California for Hollywood but rather in Virginia for defense contractors. It's obvious too by the way that Sen. Dianne Feinstein and Rep. Mike Rogers shill for their wealthy patrons the Surveillance Industrial Complex.

Hey, didn't DNI James Clapper come from contractor Booze Allen Hamilton, too?
Feinstein could probably buy Hollywood with all the money she gets from AIPAC.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,318,676 times
Frontline did an expose that revealed that 1 million people...civilian and military, work in our intelligence apparatus.

That's more than 5 times what I would've guessed.

And the CIA's budget alone is still secret.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Frontline did an expose that revealed that 1 million people...civilian and military, work in our intelligence apparatus.

That's more than 5 times what I would've guessed.

And the CIA's budget alone is still secret.
And the NSA budget is 5 times bigger than the CIA...

Remind me why we need to spy on Angela Merkel's cell phone when people in this country are starving?

Old 02-14-2014, 03:54 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,449,708 times
Hey now! Leave the CIA alone, they give me some money every year!

(Actually they dont pay as well as you would think). The NSA however.....now theres some money!

Old 02-14-2014, 03:54 PM

Our "security structure" has grown massively in the last decade. We've had it back to Wilson's regime, but at no time did it explode like it has since 9/11. I think the majority of voters don't have a clue, many don't WANT clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies