Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 07:01 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
A state doesn't have to recognize gay marriages from other states anymore than they would have to recognize polygamist marriages from other states.
You missed the point. This is not about the state's recognition of SSM, it is the federal government's recognition of marriage[based on state's definition] to allow federal benefits.

States don't offer federal benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 07:03 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
I thought marriage was about "love?" here's proof it's about money, and contracts. gays are simply lying as to what motivates their greed.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:05 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
This has nothing to do with a state's right to choose SSM ban or not...It is an attempt by Cruz and his BFFs to deny federal benefits to SScouples in states that ban SSM.

If a SSC resides in a state that does not recognize and therefore did not issue a marriage license, that couple is not eligible for Federal benefits persuant to Windsor v US according to Cruz & Co.
Judging by his own words, he thinks Obama is forcing gay marriage on everyone, so it sounds like he is not aware of how and who is doing it.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Judging by his own words, he thinks Obama is forcing gay marriage on everyone, so it sounds like he is not aware of how and who is doing it.
He is aware of what he is saying. He is aware of what he is doing...he's counting on others not to.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:23 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
I thought marriage was about "love?" here's proof it's about money, and contracts. gays are simply lying as to what motivates their greed.
Do you want to know what happens when those contracts are not recognized?

Read this.

How Alabama Tried To 'Erase' This Gay Man's Marriage

Quote:
When he arrived, a nurse behind the counter told him that he couldn't see his husband. "I recognized that this was not somebody who intended to be cruel," Hard recalled. "She was kind of horrified, and she said, 'We don't recognize gay marriage here.'"

No one would tell Hard what had happened or describe Fancher's condition, but after half an hour or so, an attendant agreed to take Hard to see him. On the way to his room, Hard asked if Fancher was badly hurt. "Well, he's dead," the attendant told him. Hard's knees gave out. He reached for the attendant, but the attendant stepped away and he fell.

Over the next few days, he made arrangements for Fancher's burial. "I went into business mode, this thing of how you start taking care of the business of death," Hard said.

But the state's marriage ban made that business complicated. At the funeral home, when the director handed him Fancher's death certificate, Hard felt like he'd been stuck with a knife, he said. The document said Fancher was "never married."

What ultimately drove Hard to sue the state was a dispute over a separate lawsuit. Hard had filed a complaint against the trucking company and drivers involved in Fancher's fatal accident. Even though Fancher's will names Hard as his sole beneficiary, Alabama's state laws bar him from collecting any proceeds from the suit.

"I was bothered really by the injustice of this whole situation. I was David's husband enough to bury him and pay for the funeral. I was David's husband enough to settle his estate, to pay the bills that were left to both of us, but I wasn't his husband in any other regard as far as the laws of Alabama concerned," Hard said. "I had all of the responsibilities, but I have none of the rights that are due me as a spouse."

Old 02-15-2014, 07:25 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Do you want to know what happens when those contracts are not recognized?

Read this.

How Alabama Tried To 'Erase' This Gay Man's Marriage
I have no problem with honoring contracts. I have a problem with the financial benefits that come with marriage. gay or straight.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:39 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
He is aware of what he is saying. He is aware of what he is doing...he's counting on others not to.
Of course he is aware. This is almost the same bill they tried to get through before.

Look into the Federal marriage amendment (2006-2012 tried several times), The marriage protection act (2011), and the We the people act.

The we the people act introduced by Ron Paul is ridiculous. It would have barred the supreme court and all federal courts from hearing any case related to State and local laws concerning free exercise an establishment of religion, the right of privacy including sexual practices, orientation or reproduction and the role of the Equal Protection clause on the right to marry.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:12 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
In a couple states, I think Washington, was a public vote. Colorado I think was too.

Most states that have Gay marriage are done through activst judges with an agenda who violate the will of the people.
Ruling a law violates the Constitution does not make someone an activist Judge

Three states (Maryland, Maine and Washington) have done so as a public votw. The others are split between passing in the state legislature and ruling that the law banning it violates the Constitution.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:17 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
You "State's rights" guys feel the same about Marijuana legalization within the State?
Yes. Next question?

Old 02-15-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
An Obama federal judge struck down a VA legislature amendment to their constitution voted in the affirmative by a majority of voters. In the ruling to void the constitutional amendment, the really smart, educated, knowledgeable Judge quoted parts of the Declaration of independence as being in the U.S. Constitution.
According to the US Constitution, and pointed out by conservatives on a daily basis...The President appoints and the Congress confirms.

So he belongs to all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies