Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 07:53 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times

Advertisements

The following incident occurred in the presence of a local journalist, unbeknowest to the store manager, and it's hit the media waves like wildfire.

I am interested in opinions. I'd bet if they really needed police assistance they'd still call C-O-P-S crying like little girls. But I don't intend to ever be in their store to find out.

Read and share.

Cafe asks Portland Cop to leave - KOINLocal6.com

http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/me...web.entriq.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 07:58 PM

23,850 posts, read 24,091,732 times
There's a person on this forum that has openly stated that when he worked at a national chain sandwich shop, he flatly and openly refused to serve cops. Of course, I think he's full of crap (with just about everything he says), but there it is.

My first job was at a donut shop that was located one block away from the sheriff's station. We saw lots of cops... Their coffee and donuts were free - a little hot water and greasy flour is pretty damn cheap insurance - nobody's going to rob you when there's a cop car or two sitting in front of the store.

I don't understand the mentality. I could see the owner of a head shop not wanting the cops to be hanging around, but a coffee shop, cafe or sandwich shop? It's just bad business to act like that.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:02 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,152,651 times
Why would the customers feel uncomfortable?

Why is it I feel like there's an elephant in the room (Cafe) that the article and quoted people in that article refrained from detailing.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:06 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,152,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
There's a person on this forum that has openly stated that when he worked at a national chain sandwich shop, he flatly and openly refused to serve cops. Of course, I think he's full of crap (with just about everything he says), but there it is.

My first job was at a donut shop that was located one block away from the sheriff's station. We saw lots of cops... Their coffee and donuts were free - a little hot water and greasy flour is pretty damn cheap insurance - nobody's going to rob you when there's a cop car or two sitting in front of the store.

I don't understand the mentality. I could see the owner of a head shop not wanting the cops to be hanging around, but a coffee shop, cafe or sandwich shop? It's just bad business to act like that.
In my late teens till my mid-20's I worked with Cops, FBI agents, vetern detectives and the Head Of Special Investigations of that city. There's a lot a great people behind the badges and guns. But as in everything in life, you're going to have your share of crooked, dirty, abusive, bully police officers. It's unfortunate and outrageous.

But one thing I can assure you, the good cops are NOT fond of the dirtbag cops. They despise bad cops.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:06 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
Why would the customers feel uncomfortable?

Why is it I feel like there's an elephant in the room (Cafe) that the article and quoted people in that article refrained from detailing.

This restaurant caters to a particular group of people, and I suspect it's an activist, if not anarchy, group (which we certainly have in Portland). I'm sure they may have more to hide, too.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:17 PM

171 posts, read 212,252 times
My opinion is people always generalize. All cops are not the same and all business people are not the same. But, people have the right to feel the way they want to feel. People in the suburbs gives their cops more respect, because the police officer gives them respect. It seems the police officer works for them. However, in the bad area's the people don't feel the same and the cops don't treat them to same. Maybe because the crime is so bad there; the cops are more frustrated. My my boy-friend lives in the suburbs and the things the cops let them get away with, they will never let pass here.

The busniess owner has the right to feel the way he did and so does the journalist. But people should always give respect to one another and that the problem with the people, the cops, and the world. No one wants to respect people just because they don't agree with them.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:28 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,652,857 times
Another arrogant person who thinks they're above the law.

Portland is full of weirdos...I feel bad for the police working in Portland who gets put down everyday.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:01 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
I think the owner of this cafe would have been in a quandary if this had been a transgender, illegal alien cop.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:23 PM

1,179 posts, read 975,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I think the owner of this cafe would have been in a quandary if this had been a transgender, illegal alien cop.
Seems like you've got something on your mind you need to talk about or act on...

Anyway...I guess they'll call a private security firm if somebody robs the store or breaks in? The whole thing seems dumb to me.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:58 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Having worked for several years in a coffee shop, cops are definitely the best customers. Plus, it ensures that you don't get robbed if you have a steady stream of cops in and out.

And, if you have any trouble at all, a 911 call means instantaneous help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies