Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 07:41 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Teeing up what could be a politically explosive fight before the midterm elections in November, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel on Monday will recommend billions of dollars in annual budget cuts that would reduce housing allowances and other benefits, increase health-care premiums, and limit pay raises, CBS News confirms.

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel to recommend deep budget cuts targeting pay, benefits - CBS News

U.S. Military to Unveil Plan to Cut Personnel Costs - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 08:52 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
Stuff is about to get real...

Old 02-23-2014, 09:07 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
So he's ok with the $160 billion budget overruns for the F-35 but he thinks we need to cut service members benefits? All the waste in the DoD that could be controlled and these idiots think the guys and gals that are doing the sacrificing are where the cuts need to come from.

I hope that everyone leaves in droves and recruiting comes to a halt and they call Hagel up and tell him he needs to man a machine gun since they don't have enough folks to do it.

We need to get these idiots out of office.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:32 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
So he's ok with the $160 billion budget overruns for the F-35 but he thinks we need to cut service members benefits? All the waste in the DoD that could be controlled and these idiots think the guys and gals that are doing the sacrificing are where the cuts need to come from.

I hope that everyone leaves in droves and recruiting comes to a halt and they call Hagel up and tell him he needs to man a machine gun since they don't have enough folks to do it.

We need to get these idiots out of office.
There you have it; Congress and DoD are keen to protect the jobs spread around the country on various projects because that is what will get them re-elected or not. States like Virginia have more to worry about than gay marriage or wacky governors. Shut down just a few defense programs (not to mention Fannie and Freddie) and you throw large numbers of workers in that state out of work The same goes for places like Washington and anywhere else with even a small amount of DOD work.

As both articles and others make clear Hagel's "recommendations" are DOA. No serious discussions much less movement will happen until after the November elections. Even then probably not until the new Congress is seated in January 2015, then you'll have about one year until the 2016 election cycle heats up in earnest, which means again nothing will be done (if it hasn't by then) until Obama is gone and whomever is elected takes over.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:32 PM

36 posts, read 264,920 times
The irony is that Hagel has a reputation in the IR circles for being a hawk.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:02 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/24/us...-ii-level.html

Yikes, Big green is getting whacked if that is correct, also don't agree with the A-10 being shut down, shift them to the guard or reserves.

F-35 has too many benefactors to be even considered...

Old 02-24-2014, 07:22 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times
So many other ways to make cut backs without hurting the troops (enlisted). Congress and Pentagon "stars and bars" won't cut things that are to their benefit. If an impartial audit was done on the supply side, they would find out why the military supplies cost a fortune compared to the same or similar supplies available for civilian purchase. I believe that some foreign bases should be closed and remain open long past their original purpose.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:54 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
I think the sad problem is with more and more people forced on unstable 401k's with no retirement stability, Military service women and men won't find much sympathy in civilian world.

I have several conversations with my friends, and most of us believe Veterans, who offered to give up their life if need be in war, deserve a very good pension upon retirement. The same logic applies. Most of us (civilians) do not choose to go to the military and risk getting killed. These people (military folks) did it and we need to show them some respect and gratitude.

We cannot look around and see who is getting what benefits, and object to them if we are not getting the same benefits. All situations are different.

If someone wants to get state benefits, NO ONE stops them from getting a Government job. If someone wants to be the beneficiary of a military pension, NO ONE is stopping them from joining the service. But people should stop looking at their retirement benefit package and say their benefit should get cut simply because government claims American tax payers cannot afford it. Military pension and benefit is not freebies or a gift or social program.

American tax payers cannot afford illegal immigrants and their children's college fund, either.

Budget cut should be done.. But legislators should set their priority straight.

I am a tax payer and my tax has never been lowered regardless what government has done. So if I have a choice between military retirement fund and illegal immigrants benefits, I want my money to go to the veterans, and other American citizens who really need help. Plain and simple.

Watch this very insightful video.

Military Pension Cuts just the begnning - YouTube

Old 02-24-2014, 09:41 AM

40 posts, read 79,195 times
The military has done very well for a long time now. I believe it's because it is a socialized jobs program. I have no problem with that. Even the conservative hawks can get behind it without looking like a giant government welfare program. The problem I see is they have increased pay and benefits at a faster rate than the budget can sustain. Add to that the unbelievable number of veterans getting disability payments and something has to give.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:50 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle925 View Post
The military has done very well for a long time now. I believe it's because it is a socialized jobs program. I have no problem with that. Even the conservative hawks can get behind it without looking like a giant government welfare program. The problem I see is they have increased pay and benefits at a faster rate than the budget can sustain. Add to that the unbelievable number of veterans getting disability payments and something has to give.
Yet no talk of cuts to all the entitlement programs that pass out taxpayer money to civilians that do nothing for those benefits.

The government said we need you to serve/sacrifice and this is what we will give you if you agree to serve and sacrifice. Those that accept the governments offer and hold up their end of the bargain shouldn't even be mentioned in the talks of where cuts need to come from.

If we can't afford this then the government needs to change their offer to NEW enlistees and those enlistees can decide if the benefits offered are sufficient enough to agree to accept as compensation for their service and sacrifice. We wouldn't accept these contractual bait and switches anywhere else, why is it acceptable to do to military members that were promised certain benefits if they agreed to serve?

Lets address all the entitlement programs for people doing nothing to earn them and lets address the future force. Don't take away the benefits you promised to those already serving that agreed to serve for those benefits. Address the fraud and waste in the DoD by Hagel and all the other bureaucrats and there will be plenty of money to go around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies