Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:54 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,402,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
And what if they're not able to buy or otherwise obtain whatever procedure will give them eternal life as a chunk of disembodied code in some machine somewhere? I'm sure the "singularity" won't come cheap.
Not at first no. But eventually yes. My $300 tabletpc could do what a billion dollar peice of equipment used to.

Genetic manipulation? Extremely cheap eventually. And you're using the term singularity wrong. Singularity is a reference to changes happening faster then we can adapt or comprehend. That would be post advanced AI, with large scale ai creation that can self modify for example.

The first persont o do the eternal life as code will probably spend north of 20 billion to do so. The 100th will spend a million, the millionth will do it for 100K, the billionth for 1K. the 2nd billionth will be under 100. Rough guess's there. I could be too pessimistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 08:47 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,484,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
You keep using the word compete and intelligence is subjective despite certain measures. You are also using a narrow criteria for the perceived inevitable outcomes you are claiming. Human beings are quite sophisticated technology. The view that one needs to compete is a subjective perspective. One can look at nature as a competition, for instance or see the collaboration.

You are choosing a particular perspective. Why have robots doing things in the first place? People are making things for other people. Without people there is no economy of any kind. People are the beginning and end in that system. Same for any social structure, as well. Humans have been reported to have many advanced skills, quite common place once upon a time that changed due to practices. All beings evolve.
Computers will be billions of times more intelligent then all the humans on the planet by 2045 no matter how you measure it. That is guaranteed due to More's law and the law of accelerating returns.

I see the entire economy changing in the next 30 years. Star Trek style replicators are going to be a major reason and computers and robots becoming billions of times more intelligent is another. I mean this is not new today's economy is different then it was before the industrial reevaluation its just the rate of change is happening faster then ever before. I keep looking at this from every possible angle and I just don't see how humans can begin to compete in the future unless we merge with computers and that will start to happen in a big way by 2030 when 1 computer the size of a blood cell will have thousands of times more processing capability then all of NASA in the 1960's and we will have millions if not billions in us.

Last edited by Josseppie; 02-24-2014 at 09:01 PM..

Old 02-24-2014, 08:52 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,484,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Not at first no. But eventually yes. My $300 tabletpc could do what a billion dollar peice of equipment used to.

Genetic manipulation? Extremely cheap eventually. And you're using the term singularity wrong. Singularity is a reference to changes happening faster then we can adapt or comprehend. That would be post advanced AI, with large scale ai creation that can self modify for example.

The first persont o do the eternal life as code will probably spend north of 20 billion to do so. The 100th will spend a million, the millionth will do it for 100K, the billionth for 1K. the 2nd billionth will be under 100. Rough guess's there. I could be too pessimistic.
I think you are pessimistic. By 2020 we should have the ability to turn off the fat gene and by the mid 2020's (I think by 2023) we will have the ability to reverse age then by 2030 a computer the size of a blood cell will have thousands of times more processing capability then all of NASA in the 1960's and we will have millions if not billions of them in us augmenting our immune system effectively ending disease and connecting us to the internet and making us thousands of times more intelligent. Practically speaking this will be seen as the start of the technological singularity.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:06 PM

544 posts, read 610,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Where will the NRA get its money once its corporate sponsors have collapsed due to home 3D printing of weapons?
Don't worry, the Liberals will make sure to crush the NRA member's businesses competition by making that the new "war on drugs" .. ie: "the war on producers". Liberals love crushing wealthy corporations/ organizations competition , so that the rich can get richer.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:27 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,402,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHarley View Post
Don't worry, the Liberals will make sure to crush the NRA member's businesses competition by making that the new "war on drugs" .. ie: "the war on producers". Liberals love crushing wealthy corporations/ organizations competition , so that the rich can get richer.
You do know this is a "Other controversy" discussion really?

And that what you are saying is actually about as incorrect as you can get right? This technology DOES wage a type of war on producers as you say, but not for any political means....You realize that right?

I swear, next you will blame Obama for all of this.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:27 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,205,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
Yep. Pretty soon.. Need a car part? Go to your local auto parts store. They don't have many parts, just a block of raw material. You buy the license to use 1 part. come back an hour later and pick it up.
How many car parts are made of a single piece of the same substance?

I agree that many parts that are typically molded or extruded could be built using 3D printers. But many, many parts will not be 3D printable for a long time. The parts are complex - meaning multiple parts including electrical parts. You can't 3D print a motor.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:29 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,205,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
My $300 tabletpc could do what a billion dollar peice of equipment used to.
Really? Like what? There has never been a billion dollar computer.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:02 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,473,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
we will have millions if not billions of them in us
Sounds expensive.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:26 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,672,528 times
History has shown that it is generally unwise to discount the disruptive effects of new technology.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:28 AM

793 posts, read 1,420,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Really? Like what? There has never been a billion dollar computer.
Japan built one for half that in the early mid 2000s. It's still much more powerful than modern desktops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies