Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 08:09 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering how many people realize this.....

A weasel word is an informational term, for equivocating words and phrases aimed at creating an impression that something specific and meaningful has been said...when in fact, it is a claim to promote an agenda. For instance the NEW Media uses these terms all the time and people believe without asking questions.

Studies show
or
Experts say...

Bull, ask them

1. What studies
2. How long were they performed
3. Where were these so called studies performed.

Wake up people, real studies takes years to perform!

And Experts say, are you kidding me, it is in fact only a matter of opinion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 09:00 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

A weasel word is an informational term, for equivocating words and phrases aimed at creating an impression that something specific and meaningful has been said...when in fact, it is a claim to promote an agenda. For instance the NEW Media uses these terms all the time and people believe without asking questions.

Studies show
or
Experts say...

Bull, ask them

1. What studies

It's called reading the stitches on the fastball. Watch these throw-away lines that people use, especially politicians and bureaucrats. These people use these imaginary straw man studies, or experts, who always agree with their assertions, putting the listener into the position as the outsider living on the fringe.

Politicians like Obama do this all the time, “economists from across the political spectrum agree."

More recently this tactic that "everyone agrees" was used in the reverse:

In a conference call with reporters, White House chief economist Jason Furman pushed back hard against the CBO’s conclusions, saying its “estimates do not reflect the overall consensus view of economists, who have said the minimum wage would have little or no impact on employment.”

Old 02-25-2014, 09:02 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

Studies show
or
Experts say...

Bull, ask them

1. What studies

Homophobic is such a word.. This word describes someone who fears homosexuality and is used broadly. In fact it is a buzz word or weasel word to paint someone unfairly . If someone is against the agenda of gay marriage they are labels as homophobic .. this is to describe the person for their belief that homosexual behavior is wrong. This word is used to make it sound as if there is something wrong with being against homosexual perversion.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Homophobic is such a word.. This word describes someone who fears homosexuality and is used broadly. In fact it is a buzz word or weasel word to paint someone unfairly . If someone is against the agenda of gay marriage they are labels as homophobic .. this is to describe the person for their belief that homosexual behavior is wrong. This word is used to make it sound as if there is something wrong with being against homosexual perversion.
If, by weasel words, you mean words used to end debate thru intimidation, then yes, homophobic, racist, mean-spirited, hater, et al, are weasel words.

They essentially tell the listener that if you dare disagree with my point, assertion or contention, then your opinions are antithetical to society, and you and yours are living on the fringe. So shut up, don't disagree with me, or you'll call attention to yourself as being 'one of them.'

Old 02-25-2014, 09:46 AM

Another all too common twist on these weasel words, is to set up some imaginary critics who either have an opposite view, or more often they are characterized as having an outlandish view.

This sets the speaker up as the cool head in the room, the moderate, sensible person, and the only one standing between you and the barbarians at the gate. You cannot but find yourself in agreement with the person speaking, because the alternative view is just too radical.

Sort of like me telling you to give me $20, while "some people have told me to kill you." Aren't I the reasonable one in the room? so hand over that $20.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
It's called reading the stitches on the fastball. Watch these throw-away lines that people use, especially politicians and bureaucrats. These people use these imaginary straw man studies, or experts, who always agree with their assertions, putting the listener into the position as the outsider living on the fringe.

Politicians like Obama do this all the time, “economists from across the political spectrum agree."

More recently this tactic that "everyone agrees" was used in the reverse:

In a conference call with reporters, White House chief economist Jason Furman pushed back hard against the CBO’s conclusions, saying its “estimates do not reflect the overall consensus view of economists, who have said the minimum wage would have little or no impact on employment.”

yes, and I wish so much people would really and I mean really open they're ears and listen to how idiotic these catch phrases are....

I watched a show about body language a few weeks ago, they studied presidents...and it was really interesting, how they could tell presidents were lying.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
If, by weasel words, you mean words used to end debate thru intimidation, then yes, homophobic, racist, mean-spirited, hater, et al, are weasel words.

They essentially tell the listener that if you dare disagree with my point, assertion or contention, then your opinions are antithetical to society, and you and yours are living on the fringe. So shut up, don't disagree with me, or you'll call attention to yourself as being 'one of them.'
boy if that isn't the truth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies