Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 11:19 PM

8,558 posts, read 10,984,238 times

Advertisements

Today, and also about a month ago, a professional basketball player, and a football player openly admitted to being gay.
Being a gay guy myself, I could never understand the need to openly discuss my sexual preference, and I wonder why people in the spotlight particularly need to "come out"
The foot ball player stated in an interview, "I want people to know me as the professional football player, not the gay professional football player"
That being the case, why even bring it up in the first place?
I will never understand why gays are so hell bent on letting the world know they are gay.
Can anyone please explain why gays feel they need to do this?
Bob.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:26 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Yea it's always seemed like they are "warning" us like we have to prepare for something when we find out someone is gay...

I guess if you live with mom and dad and you bring you boyfriend over you'd wanna tell your parents your gay before they see you guys holding hands and stuff....?

Old 02-23-2014, 11:37 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Today, and also about a month ago, a professional basketball player, and a football player openly admitted to being gay.
Being a gay guy myself, I could never understand the need to openly discuss my sexual preference, and I wonder why people in the spotlight particularly need to "come out"
The foot ball player stated in an interview, "I want people to know me as the professional football player, not the gay professional football player"
I will never understand why gays are so hell bent on letting the world know they are gay.
Bob.
from my perspective, it looks like they are simply trying to kill the situation instead of having weeks or months of speculation after someone sees them out with a guy and having ESPN or Fox Sports interview them and say "so are you gay, we have pictures of you with a man".

To me, its more of the media's problem, not the individuals. "Coming out" is just the gay person's way of heading off or ending speculation so that they can move on.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:47 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
from my perspective, it looks like they are simply trying to kill the situation instead of having weeks or months of speculation after someone sees them out with a guy and having ESPN or Fox Sports interview them and say "so are you gay, we have pictures of you with a man".

To me, its more of the media's problem, not the individuals. "Coming out" is just the gay person's way of heading off or ending speculation so that they can move on.
That's what I think too, at least in regards to public figures. I remember when Ellen DeGeneres came out (before it was "hip" to do so), and said she only did it to stop the gossip... same thing with Neil Patrick Harris, who was actually beating a journalist to the punch. Apparently some journalist had pictures of him & his boyfriend, and was planning to sell them to a gossip rag. NPH basically said "why should this guy make money off revealing something I'm not ashamed to admit myself, but just never felt the need to do?"

As for non-celebs, I guess it's just easier than playing the "pronoun game" or correcting people, since the default is usually to assume heterosexuality. JMO as a straight woman, though, which might not count for much. Out of curiousity, OP, how old are you?

Old 02-23-2014, 11:59 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
I've never had someone I knew "come out", they were just gay. With some old high school friends it was confirmed when they put it on Facebook, so I guess that is coming out in a way. None were a surprise though, it was just always something I knew. I suppose the ones that got married were making things pretty clear.

I don't feel one way or another when some celebrity comes out, their choice - both as a lifestyle and the decision to disclose it. I do, however, have huge, huge issues with someone deciding to out another person. I find that morally reprehensible.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:59 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,389,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Bob.
I think it's the need to be an authentic person.

Did you just show up at a family get-together with another guy one day?

I mean, at some point or other, YOU "came out" to family and friends, didn't you? Why would the experience be different for anyone else?

And for public persons, sports, entertainment, politics, there is a double burden. Their livelihoods may be at stake. The fear of being outed, or, if you're REALLY deep in the closet, having your family find out, must be hell on earth.

Did you see how emotional Ellen Page was in her "coming out" announcement in LV? She explained the years of fear and pressure to hid her nature for the sake of her career, and how liberating it was to finally feel free to be herself.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:01 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
As for non-celebs, I guess it's just easier than playing the "pronoun game" or correcting people, since the default is usually to assume heterosexuality. JMO as a straight woman, though, which might not count for much. Out of curiousity, OP, how old are you?
While non-celebs do not have to worry about the national media, most people do have to still worry about a large network of friends, family and coworkers. I'd say its pretty much the same for both groups.. even the extortion part.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:02 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,551 times
Seeking justification for their actions.
Since being gay is so glamorized currently, its a good move for them.
Coming out is just another fad.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:09 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
Seeking justification for their actions.
Since being gay is so glamorized currently, its a good move for them.
Coming out is just another fad.
People are not going to be happy with you saying that. However..... It is not without merit.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:17 AM

97 posts, read 97,558 times
Very very odd the timing with Putin/Sochi currently occurring. Very odd

ESPN is force feeding us the events, going so far as to air teammate Andrei Kirilenko (Russian) comments in the highlights. A player they would never air otherwise.

This is classic American media brainwashing the general public into thinking something is the cultural norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies