Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 01:02 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I didn't know Michelle Obama was the head of the Food and Drug Administration!
Who does she think she is, MONSANTO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 01:07 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Who is lying about this? regardless, I am so tired of the government requirements for this and that..
I agree with all the OTT government requirements and control, but I would like to know what I'm eating. I would like to know that I have a choice in what I consume.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I didn't know Michelle Obama was the head of the Food and Drug Administration!
Well she is proposing it, isn't she? And Obama is the President, isn't he? And we all know that they know what is good for us and what isn't, don't they? The FDA doesn't operate independently and is part of the government and Obama is in charge of our government, isn't he?

Old 02-27-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Who does she think she is, MONSANTO?
Monsanto owns Barry. I think it has something to do with Obama signing the Monsanto Protection Act.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:32 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
If there was such a demand for this info manufacturers of goods not containing GMO's would label it as such. There is nothing wrong with GMO food unlike food with high sodium, fat or sugar content.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:34 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
GMO has nothing obvious to do with nutrition.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:36 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Michelle, trying to keep her health movement relevant, is proposing changes be made by some manufacturers to the Nutrition Facts label so that consumers can be better informed. One very relevant change that the public asked for, that food be labeled if it was GMO, was shot down by Obama because of the financial burden it would put on manufacturers. So it's important to know how many calories are in your food, how much sugar, and how many servings, but you don't need to know if your food is GMO, unlike 64 other countries that do inform consumers.

Granted this change affects a small number of manufacturers, but if change is going to be required, let them include the FACT if their product is GMO or not. And if they are going to force some to change the label, force all of them to change the label to reflect GMO.
Italian scientists recently read and summarized 1,783 scientific studies to conclude that there is, in fact, scientific consensus around the safety of genetically modified organisms. "The scientific research conducted so far has not detected any significant hazards directly connected with the use of genetically modified crops," they concluded, agreeing with the World Health Organization, the Food and Drug Administration and the American Medical Association.
In fact, there has never been a single credible scientific study showing GMOs to have harmful effects on humans, animals or our environment. But scientific consensus hasn't stopped activists from demanding mandatory labeling on all genetically modified foods. Yet there already exists an effective and uniform way for consumers around the country to identify non-GMO products: the presence of a USDA-certified organic label.
GMOs Are Nothing to Fear - US News

GMO is in everything. everywhere. If you really want to avoid it, buy certified organic.
I was at the grocery store yesterday. Boxes of raspberries were three for five bucks. The organic store around the corner is charging $6.29 for the same sized box.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:52 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Well she is proposing it, isn't she? And Obama is the President, isn't he? And we all know that they know what is good for us and what isn't, don't they? The FDA doesn't operate independently and is part of the government and Obama is in charge of our government, isn't he?
Neither of these articles say that Michelle proposed the label change.
Yes, Barack Obama is the president and Michelle's husband (for those who didn't know).

On the contrary, the FDA probably has quite a bit of latitude in what they study.
After all, neither President Obama nor any other president in the past had a college degree in nutrition or food science.

What do you think he should be able to do next? Predict the weather?

And, lastly, yes the scientists who work at the FDA probably DO know more about what's good for us than we do.

FDA: Nutrition labels getting a makeover - CNN.com

Food labels to get first makeover in 20 years with new emphasis on calories, sugar - The Washington Post

Old 02-27-2014, 01:56 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
It's one step at a time. The government moves slowly when it comes to nutritional regulation. Just getting people to consume fewer soft drinks would be a huge step toward improving the health of Americans. Most people don't even know what "GMO" means.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:57 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Neither of these articles say that Michelle proposed the label change.
Yes, Barack Obama is the president and Michelle's husband (for those who didn't know).

On the contrary, the FDA probably has quite a bit of latitude in what they study.
After all, neither President Obama nor any other president in the past had a college degree in nutrition or food science.

What do you think he should be able to do next? Predict the weather?

And, lastly, yes the scientists who work at the FDA probably DO know more about what's good for us than we do.

FDA: Nutrition labels getting a makeover - CNN.com

Food labels to get first makeover in 20 years with new emphasis on calories, sugar - The Washington Post
PREDICT the weather? Many folks are accusing him of CAUSING bad weather, like Hurricane Sandy.
No joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies