Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 06:01 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,972,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I've never been one of those who bought into the notion that Pres. Obama is an incompetent 'empty suit.'In his book The Price of Politics, journalist Bob Woodward quotes Harvard law prof Laurence Tribe as saying that Barack Obama was one of the "most brilliant" students he had ever taught. If there were a Nobel Prize for law, Tribe would have almost certainly earned one. He is arguably the #1 authority on Constitutional law of this era.

Then we can talk about Obama's record at running campaigns. He left Alice Palmer in the dust in 1996, left Hillary Clinton, and then John McCain in the dust in 2008, and Mit Romney in 2012. The 2012 campaign in particular was quite a sophisticated and innovative one.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/13/he...anted=all&_r=0
Please don't forget that you can HIRE campaign managers.

The man himself is an entirely empty suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 06:04 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,787,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
The man himself is an entirely empty suit.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:08 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,972,625 times
LOL @ Eastwood and the invisible man.

Does anyone remember that Palin's teleprompter failed during her acceptance speech... and nobody noticed? Not only could she continue her speech, she didn't lose her place nor become flustered.

And when Obama's fails, we don't just notice, he gets entirely lost and has no idea what he's doing? The guy is so annoying, seriously, as he has to look from side to side to read his speech. I'm an introvert and HATE public speaking, but I could do 10 times better, because anything I speak about I know by heart.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:31 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Quote:
LOL @ Eastwood and the invisible man.

Does anyone remember that Palin's teleprompter failed during her acceptance speech... and nobody noticed? Not only could she continue her speech, she didn't lose her place nor become flustered.

And when Obama's fails, we don't just notice, he gets entirely lost and has no idea what he's doing? The guy is so annoying, seriously, as he has to look from side to side to read his speech. I'm an introvert and HATE public speaking, but I could do 10 times better, because anything I speak about I know by heart.

Yeah I remember that. When it happened, John McCain marveled, and said that if the same thing had happened to him, it would have been a disaster. But Sarah Palin did not miss a beat.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:55 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,273,672 times
Quote:
I've never been one of those who bought into the notion that Pres. Obama is an incompetent 'empty suit.'In his book The Price of Politics, journalist Bob Woodward quotes Harvard law prof Laurence Tribe as saying that Barack Obama was one of the "most brilliant" students he had ever taught. If there were a Nobel Prize for law, Tribe would have almost certainly earned one. He is arguably the #1 authority on Constitutional law of this era.

Then we can talk about Obama's record at running campaigns. He left Alice Palmer in the dust in 1996, left Hillary Clinton, and then John McCain in the dust in 2008, and Mit Romney in 2012. The 2012 campaign in particular was quite a sophisticated and innovative one.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/13/he...anted=all&_r=0

So with all of this brilliance, how do we explain how ObamaCare is such a cluster****? How to explain the seemingly stupid, on so many levels, mantra of 'if you like your plan, you can keep your plan?'
How to explain legislation that led Jimmy Hoffa Jr. to say, " ACA will shatter not only our hard-earned health benefits, but destroy the foundation of the 40 hour work week that is the backbone of the American middle class."

My conspiracy theory is that Obamacare was designed to fail in order to set the stage for single payer, which Obama is on record as supporting. What they didn't count on was losing the US House in 2010. Obamacare was signed into law in March, 2010, but in November, 2010, Democrats lost 63 seats, and lost the house. Few predicted it--not even the much-vaunted Nate Silver. When they lost the House in 2010, they lost any chance of single payer. And as Obamacare fell apart at the seams they doubly lost any chance.

In essence this was a stratagem that blew up in their face. What do you think?
I think that Obama is about Obama ..... PERIOD.
I don't know that he is "brilliant", but some seem to think so. How would we know? ALL records are sealed.
I don't think that he is a "puppet" .... everything we know indicates that he is a control freak.
'Intellect' has absolutely nothing to do with 'competence'. He has ZERO Experience, and even his "A - Team" have cut and run, to save what is left of their careers.

Obama has led a charmed life when you look at the entirety. He attended the most exclusive Private School in Hawaii, he was cosseted by his Grandparents and sadly neglected by his parents. He has major issues. He skated through a couple of elections in Illinois by destroying his opponents before the campaign barely started - using the Courts, which has become a pattern and would certainly indicate a good knowledge of the Law. He was flat broke in the year 2000 and in debt, and yet 4 short years later he gave the Keynote Speech at the DNC Convention, became the Jr Senator from Illinois in 2006 and President in 2008. Think about that for just a minute. Flat broke in 2000 and President in eight years.

Obama keeps a very tight circle, and that circle is run by two women - Valerie Jarrett and Michelle Obama. The interesting thing is that all of them know about Chicago Style Politics and NOTHING at all about Washington and Global Politics. He, and they, don't believe in the Law or the Constitution - they only believe in the "Greatness" of the Obama.

They truly are doing it the "Chicago Way", and it's not working out too well for them.
I don't believe that President Obama is a well man. He seems absolutely determined to go down (no pun intended) in History as a "Great President". I think he cares a great deal about his "Legacy" - I sincerely hope that he can maintain his "bubble" until he is out of Washington - things could get really dicey if he ever comes up for air and sees where his 'great Legacy' is headed. He needs constant adulation to exist.

The damage to this Country is substantial - it may not be repairable at all. That's going to be an entirely new Crisis. This country has seen more than one President that thought they were above the Law. More than one President that really believed that when they snapped their fingers, they could do anything. They have packed Courts, done many illegal actions and clung mightily to their Ideology - I think that a certain amount of Narcissism is even necessary to take on the toughest job in the world.

Thing is ..... I don't think we have ever seen anyone exactly like Obama in our history (I'm talking as President). He doesn't like this country OR it's system of Government. He wasn't kidding when he said that he would "Transform America" -- I think he honestly believes that is necessary, which is scary in itself. The real questions are "How Many Americans will be seriously damaged?" AND "What will be the Lasting Damage globally?" What will he have left when he is gone? I don't actually think it's beyond the realm for Obama to believe that ONLY "he" can "save" this country and to believe that he NEEDS to stay in power to "save" this country.

What's left of the Democratic Party needs to step up .... some are doing so, and I applaud them.
We are reaching a tipping point, if we are not already there. Very dangerous times.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:18 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
...What do you think?
I don't think he's all that smart. I do think that he knows how to work people, and look at that, he sure worked them, didn't he? Not only did he get himself elected when no one knew who the hell he was, he managed to get himself re-elected when so many, even those who voted for him the first time, were unimpressed.

The fact is, he's got the white and black thing going for him. He really does. And he knows it, and he uses it.

I believe that he's doing his level best to put us in to economic ruin. ("Here's your in foil hat, idiot!" Why thank you! Here's your cup of Kool-Aid.) I don't believe that he loves this country. I don't believe that he cares for the people of this country. I think he has an agenda, and it's laced with revenge. I believe that he thinks American are spoiled, slovenly, stupid people, and that is why he lies as badly, and as much, as he does.

But whatevs, man, he wears pressed pants and he "talks so well". (Do I really need a sarc tag?) (Please don't make me bust out the trillion videos that prove that he doesn't speak well.)

In other news:

Quote:
The fact that it's 2500 pages long INSURES it will fail...
Aaah, I see what you did there.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:37 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If that was the case it's looking very long term. When Obamacare fails we aren't going into single payer. Look at how many years it took after Hillary screwed up health care.

Obama is now looking for a scapegoat. If he's as brilliant as Tribe claims he knows he can't just change the law based upon his whims so when the Supreme Court starts dismantling it he can blame it on the courts.

40 some percent of the people will fall in line with that excuse.
You still have the Tea Party on Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare, and Mediciad for Seniors. Thank god we have that last line of defense that wont let us slip into government health care. Keep "Gubbermint out of Medicare" should be a battle cry that should live for time immemorial.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:15 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
You still have the Tea Party on Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare, and Mediciad for Seniors. Thank god we have that last line of defense that wont let us slip into government health care. Keep "Gubbermint out of Medicare" should be a battle cry that should live for time immemorial.
Look, borregokid got paid another chunk of change:

Tea Party cha ching
Medicaire cha ching
Tricare cha ching
Medicaid cha ching
Seniors cha ching

I'm disappointed, borregokid, you forgot to say "VA" this time.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:24 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:

How to explain legislation that led Jimmy Hoffa Jr. to say, " ACA will shatter not only our hard-earned health benefits, but destroy the foundation of the 40 hour work week that is the backbone of the American middle class."

My conspiracy theory is that Obamacare was designed to fail in order to set the stage for single payer, which Obama is on record as supporting. What they didn't count on was losing the US House in 2010. Obamacare was signed into law in March, 2010, but in November, 2010, Democrats lost 63 seats, and lost the house. Few predicted it--not even the much-vaunted Nate Silver. When they lost the House in 2010, they lost any chance of single payer. And as Obamacare fell apart at the seams they doubly lost any chance.

In essence this was a stratagem that blew up in their face. What do you think?
First, Hoffa's statement should not be considered as the family has reason to hate ACA. All over the US, unions are accepting 2 tier or like wage systems from auto plants to plants in Wi (Harley, Kohler, Mercury Marine), so claiming getting Health Insurance from an employer (even though our non unions have plans every bit as good), is a disingenuous way to claim a union victory.

I do agree Obama wants single payer, and I do think it will likely eventually come. Not looking forward to it, but if you dislike government involvement, you needed more credible options from those who prefer free market solutions, and by that, I mean solutions that would focus on vastly increasing the percentage insured with true plans (not the stop gap "I get insurance (LOL) for $90 a month garbage)! You needed ways to end lifetime limits, ways to end not covering pre-existing conditions endlessly, etc.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:27 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:

Please don't forget that you can HIRE campaign managers.

True, Presidents McCain and Romney hired campaign managers. Oops, I forgot they lost, so, obviously, hiring a manager is insignificant in terms of success vs failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies