Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 11:24 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times

Advertisements

I mentioned this in a thread a month ago and was dismissed.

//www.city-data.com/forum/35972870-post530.html

It looks like the nightmare may now be a reality.

I watched a documentary on Frontline this week. The doctors were covered head to toe in the hazmat suits. Covering their eyes, mouth, nose etc. The doctors are overwhelmed, and they believe that airborne transmission is possible.

If this disease didn't have the possibility of being transmitted through the air, why all the spacesuit-like precautions?

We don't do this with people who have TB. What other infectious disease that isn't KNOWN to transmit through the air, do doctors wear hazmat suits to care for patients?

Quote:
The current Ebola virus’s hyper-evolution is unprecedented; there has been more human-to-human transmission in the past four months than most likely occurred in the last 500 to 1,000 years. Each new infection represents trillions of throws of the genetic dice.

If certain mutations occurred, it would mean that just breathing would put one at risk of contracting Ebola. Infections could spread quickly to every part of the globe, as the H1N1 influenza virus did in 2009, after its birth in Mexico.
What We’re Afraid to Say About Ebola - NYT

Quote:
Dr Michael Osterholm of the University of Minnesota said virologists are privately concerned the deadly virus could mutate
Currently Ebola can only be transmitted through close contact with a victim's bodily fluids, including blood, vomit and sweat
Dr Osterholm warns if the virus develops it could be transmissible via air
But chair of the Health Protection Agency in the UK Professor David Heymann said it is 'impossible' for scientists to predict any mutation
He said not enough is known about genetics to know if the virus will be able to develop to attach to the receptors in the respiratory system
So far more than 2,000 people have died in the current outbreak
Oxford University scientists today revealed a map showing 15 countries and 22 million people are at risk
'Real risk' Ebola virus will mutate to become an AIRBORNE disease, expert warns
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 11:27 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,972,625 times
There is no "inevitability".

There is only the "possibility".

Old 09-12-2014, 11:31 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,462,376 times
If Hep C, or AIDs, or the black death, or any other terrible disease had a mutation that made it easier to transmit it would be disastrous. Worrying that it is only a matter of time is disingenuous, and a sign of something wrong.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:32 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Three factors make such a potential biological threat more of an issue today, even with our modern medicine:
1. Poverty (which has always been around)
2. Population density (growing every year)
3. Modern transportation.

I think we've been relatively lucky so far.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:33 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I mentioned this in a thread a month ago and was dismissed.

//www.city-data.com/forum/35972870-post530.html

It looks like the nightmare may now be a reality.

I watched a documentary on Frontline this week. The doctors were covered head to toe in the hazmat suits. Covering their eyes, mouth, nose etc. The doctors are overwhelmed, and they believe that airborne transmission is possible.

If this disease didn't have the possibility of being transmitted through the air, why all the spacesuit-like precautions?

We don't do this with people who have TB. What other infectious disease that isn't KNOWN to transmit through the air, do doctors wear hazmat suits to care for patients?

What We’re Afraid to Say About Ebola - NYT

'Real risk' Ebola virus will mutate to become an AIRBORNE disease, expert warns
Many diseases never go mutate to become airborne, worrying about something that has not happened is not healthy. Best deal with the issue that already faces us and worry about what if's if they become a reality. In fact the Flu kills Millions every year, are you scared to death of catching the flu?

Old 09-12-2014, 11:43 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
This has already happened. It has been documented in scientific papers. It may happen again.

The disease is spreading faster than it has in the entire time the disease has been identified.

Airborne transmission is possible. And may be the reason why it's spreading so quickly across Africa.

Transmission of Ebola virus from pigs to non-human primates

Old 09-12-2014, 11:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
They don't think it can move by air but they are not certain that it can't..hence the precautions.
They have said it has mutated since first detected from last March although they don't know if it's a true mutation or another strain that entered the picture.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:50 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They don't think it can move by air but they are not certain that it can't..hence the precautions.
They have said it has mutated since first detected from last March although they don't know if it's a true mutation or another strain that entered the picture.
They did not say it was airborne just a different strain. They wear the protective gear because any exchange of bodily fluids can result in catching it. I admire anyone willing to do that for their fellow man, True Hero's, every one of them.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:04 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
I don't know... it seems like just as it is... there is plenty to keep health authorities occupied with an Ebola that leaves Africa! Why all the concern over airborne transmission? If it looks like a duck... again, I don't know.. but maybe this Ebola isn't transmissible except by "direct contact" with bodily fluids but that "direct" thing needs to be defined. AIDS isn't transmissible except by "direct contact" with bodily fluids but I doubt that anyone reading this is terribly concerned about contracting AIDS!

What I know is that the PPE that is being deployed among the health care workers needs major improvement, pronto so that the affected countries can hold onto enough care workers to make a difference. I think that is a more practical outlet for the creative energies of Allied Health than culturing batches of unproven vaccines and treatments for testing!

I remember that shortly prior to the invasion of Iraq it was discovered that the PPE for the ground forces was not actually able to protect forces if actual bio-toxin was present in the air. ??? What we are witnessing is fraud on a massive scale as the PPE that has been in routine use for decades has mostly been a cosmetic enhancement.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:19 PM

19,782 posts, read 22,680,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
There is no "inevitability".

There is only the "possibility".
That's kinda what I was thinking when I read that title.. "What is an inevitable possibility?"

And I can't read anymore of this thread because I just...can't...bring myself to do it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies