Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 12:34 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,337,216 times

Advertisements

And Putin doesn't appear to be very impressed. As the WaPo states - "Rarely has a threat from a U.S. president been dismissed as quickly — and comprehensively — as Obama’s warning Friday night to Russian President Vladimir Putin. The former community organizer and the former Cold Warrior share the barest of common interests, and their relationship has been defined far more by the vastly different ways they see everything from gay rights to history’s legacy." Ukraine crisis tests Obama’s foreign-policy focus on diplomacy over military force - The Washington Post

To make it worse, when Obama does get involved, he usually leaves whatever region he meddled in worse off. Jack Kelly: Obama's botched foreign policy -- a mess worse than Jimmy Carter

Unfortunately, we have a weak, feckless president who gets little respect. I suspect we will soon see a move by China on the Senkaku islands, claimed by both Japan and China. Then life will get really messy.China ships in disputed waters, says Japan coastguard | Inquirer Global Nation

Old 03-02-2014, 12:36 PM

13,305 posts, read 7,876,816 times
He just be puttie footin' around.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
And Putin doesn't appear to be very impressed. As the WaPo states - "Rarely has a threat from a U.S. president been dismissed as quickly — and comprehensively — as Obama’s warning Friday night to Russian President Vladimir Putin. The former community organizer and the former Cold Warrior share the barest of common interests, and their relationship has been defined far more by the vastly different ways they see everything from gay rights to history’s legacy." Ukraine crisis tests Obama’s foreign-policy focus on diplomacy over military force - The Washington Post

To make it worse, when Obama does get involved, he usually leaves whatever region he meddled in worse off. Jack Kelly: Obama's botched foreign policy -- a mess worse than Jimmy Carter

Unfortunately, we have a weak, feckless president who gets little respect. I suspect we will soon see a move by China on the Senkaku islands, claimed by both Japan and China. Then life will get really messy.China ships in disputed waters, says Japan coastguard | Inquirer Global Nation
Well this administration is making up for that with a reusable red line threat that means nothing.
It's either put up or shut up and he's doing neither.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:04 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,390,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post

Obama's making the same mistake with Putin that he made with the GOP- assuming they are rational actors.

The GOP taught Obama a lesson- sometimes, you just have to kick a dog in the chops.

I'll bet Putin's gonna get kicked in the chops.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:55 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,337,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post

By who? Obama? NATO? Holland?

Ain't gonna happen.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:45 PM

20,127 posts, read 16,173,562 times
Quote:
Obama's making the same mistake with Putin that he made with the GOP- assuming they are rational actors.

The GOP taught Obama a lesson- sometimes, you just have to kick a dog in the chops.

I agree this is a mistake similar to Obama not being able to properly evaluate the GOP. Only we disagree what the mistake was. Neither were irrational actor nor were their reactions unpredictable.

The GOP was shut out of the process in the beginning, told elections had consequences, and their viewpoints summarily dismissed. This, not unpredictably, resulted in them refusing to play ball.

Obama has made several line-in-the-sand comments and has not acted on them, has apologized for American power and wealth, and had deferred or given in to Putin on smaller international incidents. This, not unpredictably, has led Putin to try a bigger, bolder move, ignore Obama's new red line, and do what he wants with impunity.

Welcome back to the Cold War. It ended when the then most inept president in recent history left office and now it has returned with an even more inept president.

Oh - and Obama isn't going to kick anyone in the chops, he'll be too busy licking his wounds.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:56 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,152,061 times
Quote:

LMAO! That's the funniest thing I've read all day.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:58 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I agree this is a mistake similar to Obama not being able to properly evaluate the GOP. Only we disagree what the mistake was. Neither were irrational actor nor were their reactions unpredictable.

The GOP was shut out of the process in the beginning, told elections had consequences, and their viewpoints summarily dismissed. This, not unpredictably, resulted in them refusing to play ball.

Obama has made several line-in-the-sand comments and has not acted on them, has apologized for American power and wealth, and had deferred or given in to Putin on smaller international incidents. This, not unpredictably, has led Putin to try a bigger, bolder move, ignore Obama's new red line, and do what he wants with impunity.

Welcome back to the Cold War. It ended when the then most inept president in recent history left office and now it has returned with an even more inept president.

Oh - and Obama isn't going to kick anyone in the chops, he'll be too busy licking his wounds.
90% Republican talking points! Obama went out of his way to try to change the bad chemistry on capitol hill. That's a little tough when before you are even inaugurated, your opposition is meeting in private to strategize how to destroy you and your presidency. Both Republicans and Putin pursue their own objectives without regard to the "greater good". Not seeing that was Obama's mistake. With respect to Putin, he is hardly the first. Remember Bush gazing lovingly into his eyes and seeing the heart of a good and decent man.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:00 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:

I don't like the analogy. I think much more of stray dogs than I do of either today's conservative Republicans or Putin. How about a pig? Nah, still too good for them...

Old 03-02-2014, 05:11 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,152,061 times
Quote:

The GOP taught us, the same thing that Putin is learning, that Obama is a joke. He's a not a leader(more like puppet). He doen't know or can't build a consensus on issues, he doesn't know how to negotiate or compromise. He doesn't keep his word or outright lies(i.g. "if you like your insurance, you can keep it", or "Al Qaida has been decimated" or "We have been very clear to the Assad regime, but also to other players on the ground, that a red line for us is we start seeing a whole bunch of chemical weapons moving around or being utilized". He's a weak leader, that doesn't demand/get respect.

Last edited by 14Bricks; 03-02-2014 at 05:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies