Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 08:19 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
They paid in the beginning of the year. The entire tuition is due just because the school allows for monthly installments doesn't mean they can shirk their obligations.

Now if this was between say her junior and senior year I'd agree with you.
A lot of schools have it divided into semesters. That would mean they wouldn't have to pay for January on. I think that the school isn't the one suing them for the payments is an indication that their contract was not written up the way you are assuming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 08:20 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Depends on the contract between the parents and the school. My contract with my daughter and her parochial school is such that I owe for classes attended, not for the entire year. I can pay up front for the entire year if I want.
Interesting. I would think that type of arrangement could wreak havoc on the planning department. What happens if half the class can't afford to pay midterm? The teacher, upkeep and other expenses must be paid.

Even so I think they should pay the remaining of her senior year and kudos to the school for not tossing her out.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:30 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Go read the article. Heres what it sounds like:
She wants them to pay her existing bill for the private high school, and her living expenses from before she was 18.
She wants the car that was given to her-yes they paid for it and gave it to her, then took it back.
She wants them to give her the college fund that exists for her-IE that was for her college.

Basically-these are gifts and prior responsibilities as a parent, you cannot retroactively change your mind later.

She ISNT demanding:
That they pay her future money towards her college
That they pay her future living expenses
Or that they give her a car that they hadnt already given her.

That make sense?
Could this have been based on an agreement that she would abide by said rules while living under roof of her parent's home?

Old 03-04-2014, 08:55 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Try pulling that line with college admin. Parents, even if they're footing the bill, have no right whatsoever to see their 18-year-old or older child's college records.
But admin departments at colleges are required to gather financial information from the parent of the child.

When I was in college, I had to report my mom's income as my income. That was what my financial aid package was based upon. It is still the same way today. Parents MUST report their income unless the child has been legally emancipated up to the age of 21.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:03 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
But admin departments at colleges are required to gather financial information from the parent of the child.
Exactly, which makes NO sense whatsoever. Parents are obligated to disclose personal financial details on the FAFSA in order to make financial aid determinations for their children, yet parents have NO access whatsoever to college student records for their children ages 18 and above.

Frankly, it's a scam to strip as much wealth from parents as possible.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:27 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
This is the country of "you owe me". Parents, get ready to support your kids for the rest of their lives.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

When I was in college, I had to report my mom's income as my income. That was what my financial aid package was based upon. It is still the same way today. Parents MUST report their income unless the child has been legally emancipated up to the age of 21.
Not anymore.

Now an 18 year old can declare themselves independent on the government student loan form.
This allows them to qualify for bigger loans and food stamps.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:44 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
In so far as the Catholic high school tuition, her parents likely signed a contract and she did not. Unless they contacted the school and asked them to withdraw her and the contract allows tuition to not be charged for the rest of the school year in that case, they should be responsible for that.

As far as the rest, she is probably just a spoiled brat and lying about having been thrown out of the house. She wants to have her cake and eat it too and she needs to learn that life doesn't work that way.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:48 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,111,688 times
In my time, my parents would have packed my bags and wished me much luck with my future endeavors.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:48 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Oh and FWIW, I don't think the girl should get the car. Why should she? She didn't buy it and I doubt it is in her name.

I "give" my kids a room in my house while they are there. Just because I "give" them a place to stay in my property doesn't mean they own the room and the girl more than likely doesn't own the car, her parents do. That one is really ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies