Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 06:08 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
As a business owner, I very well know what the hell I am talking about and you clearly dont

In the 1960s, the Unruh Civil Rights Act was interpreted to provide broad protection from arbitrary discrimination by business owners. Cases decided during that era held that business owners could not discriminate, for example, against hippies, police officers, homosexuals, or Republicans, solely because of who they were.

The Right to Refuse Service: Can a Business Refuse Service to Someone Because of Appearance, Odor, or Attire? | LegalZoom

This would include the anti gay governor...

CALIFORNIA has extra protections that do not apply EVERYWHERE. It creates an extra layer of reasons why you cannot refuse to serve someone.

Surely you know that?

The UNRUH Civil Rights Act has no bearing elsewhere.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:09 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I can also put up a sign that says "No women served". Doesn't mean it's legally binding.

Well gee, do you think it wouldn't be legally binding since WOMEN (sex) is a PROTECTED CLASS?

Could THAT be the reason?

Old 03-04-2014, 06:11 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
I cannot believe the anti-gay crowd on this thread hasn't noticed the completely obvious fact that the stylist did this to make a point, not because he's a hypocrite.

Oh wait, yes I can.

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Sexual preference isn't a protected class either, yet the law disagrees. If it were, he is straight so you cannot refuse on the basis of being straight.
Sexual orientation is a protected class is some States.

The Governor is a 'she' not a 'he'. The hairdresser wasn't refusing service based on the governor being straight, but on her anti-gay stance. That is not illegal under anti-discrimination law.

If a gay shop owner refused to serve any straight people purely because of their sexual orientation, that would be illegal under anti-discrimination law in States where sexual orientation is a protected class.

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
CALIFORNIA has extra protections that do not apply EVERYWHERE. It creates an extra layer of reasons why you cannot refuse to serve someone.

Surely you know that?

The UNRUH Civil Rights Act has no bearing elsewhere.
We arent discussing when you cannot refuse service to service someone, we are discussing when you can.. Completely opposite of one another.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:12 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,037,907 times
Quote:
I'm talking about any business. I can trick them by asking their view on whether government should be involved with marriage or not. If they are libertarian gays (of which there are many), they are not denied service. If they are neo-proggie gays who want government forcing gay marriage for every state, then out you go.
Sounds good to me. Maybe we need to get this message down to those businesses in Arizona, for instance. They wanted to stop that bill, so lets find another way to do what we were trying to do in the first place, religious freedom for business owners.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:12 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Are we all going to have a check off list to fill out in the future to see if all our political beliefs line up with our service providers before doing business together in the future?

Cake makers, bed and breakfast establishments and now hairdressers refusing customers due to differences in beliefs are sure making life difficult for some of us.......

It will be interesting to see if there is a backlash towards this gay hairdresser like there was for the gay-phobic cake makers in Colorado by the civil rights activists. After all, the hairdresser is guilty of discrimination, too.
The cake maker was not "gay-phobic." He just doesn't believe (like many of us) that marriage should be anything other than a union between a man and a woman. That isn't a phobia. It's a belief (and the correct one). So, you can stop the bullying. You homosexuals never stop, do you?

Old 03-04-2014, 06:14 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,037,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I cannot believe the anti-gay crowd on this thread hasn't noticed the completely obvious fact that the stylist did this to make a point, not because he's a hypocrite.

Oh wait, yes I can.
Oh, but by making that point, the "stylist" is indeed a hypocrite. Here is the thing. Most of us dont give a damn. If they want to refuse service, I am actually fine with that. But then other businesses, especially on religious grounds, should be allowed to refuse service.

Hit your head all you want. The way he/she made their point was by being a hypocrite. Refusing service because they dont agree with someones point of view.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Either a business has to take whatever consumer comes through the door regardless of personal beliefs or they dont.

This has nothing to do with anything you just posted.
It is if we are talking about anti-discrimination law.

A business owner can turn away someone who is being rude or whose behavior is disturbing other customers or someone who isn't wearing a shirt or shoes or someone dressed in white bedsheet with a hood. None of these things are protected classes.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
He is straight. You cannot deny him service.

Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies