Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 07:59 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,210,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Social Security is exactly what it says it is: a social safety net. It is not and was never intended to be an investment strategy.

It's a great system and worked beautifully (albeit at times imperfectly) until Reagan starting gutting the system in the '80s.
Based on the quote in your OP, wouldn't that generally make Reagan unpopular? It seems he is still rather well regarded by a large number of folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 08:00 AM

4,560 posts, read 4,098,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The government pays a market-based rate of interest on every penny in payroll taxes not concurrently used for the payment of scheduled benefits.

It's worked beautifully for over 70 years, and even if we do nothing at all, it will be just as peachy for at least another 55-60. Meanwhile, the taxpayers are not going to let you starve in the streets in your old age. Be a man about it and pitch in your share of the costs for that beforehand. That's what Eisenhower would have told you...
Bad news saganista, no one wants to pitch in anymore for a common good. Its the generation of ME.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:06 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Based on the quote in your OP, wouldn't that generally make Reagan unpopular?
Depends on which circles you run in. I'm not a big fan of Reagan's policies.

Quote:
It seems he is still rather well regarded by a large number of folks.
Reagan was the Great Communicator. Absolutely no doubt about that. He gave the US her pride back again. After Vietnam, Watergate, the oil crisis, the Iran hostages... America was rather glum to say the least. Reagan came along and made people feel proud and excited to be Americans. No doubt about it.

But his economic policies were a disaster, and they are still hurting this country today.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:07 AM

4,560 posts, read 4,098,262 times
Quote:
Based on the quote in your OP, wouldn't that generally make Reagan unpopular? It seems he is still rather well regarded by a large number of folks.
Reagan was the worst president we ever had.

Reagan had great strategists. Distract the public with the war on the commies. Then say there's too much government and people in Washington are controlling everyones lives (not that anyone complains about the suits on Wall Street running our lives) then you can do whatever you want.

Think about what Bush did with Iraq. 9/11 and Iraq mixed together in every speech. Back when we invaded millions of people thought they were responsible for 9/11. Its manipulation of the masses.

Reagan was smart and added God Bless America at the end of each speech, then everyone wil think he's the second coming of Christ!

Old 12-05-2007, 09:14 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,210,109 times
You folks are speaking about Reagan from your own personal perspective. In looking at the quote from Eisenhower, shouldn't his actions have made him widely unpopular (broad based sentiment)?

It seems to me that a lot of folks regard him very well.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:15 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,691,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post

Reagan had great strategists. Distract the public with the war on the commies. Then say there's too much government and people in Washington are controlling everyones lives (not that anyone complains about the suits on Wall Street running our lives) then you can do whatever you want.

Think about what Bush did with Iraq. 9/11 and Iraq mixed together in every speech. Back when we invaded millions of people thought they were responsible for 9/11. Its manipulation of the masses.

Reagan was smart and added God Bless America at the end of each speech, then everyone wil think he's the second coming of Christ!
If you thought Iraq had anything to do with 9/11, then that was your fault. Bush never claimed such.

Reagan was a man of principle who brought the psyche of the country back from the doldrums of the Carter administration, cut taxes to stimulate the economy once again, and won the cold war so that school children would no longer need to drill on what to do during a nuclear attack. I know, I was there. Seems to me that some people are victims of the education system rewriting history.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:17 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,626,781 times
Quote:

Worse than Bush? Which version of revision and derangement did you wake up with today?

Old 12-05-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Seems to me that some people are victims of the education system rewriting history.
This is why I will be helping my wife homeschool any children we have.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Bad news saganista, no one wants to pitch in anymore for a common good. Its the generation of ME.
Theres a difference between being for the common good through personal actions, and being for the common good by telling the government to do the good for us. Some people don't trust the governments version of common good.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
You are proceeding from a false assumption on how Social Security works. The money you pay in now is NOT for you. Never has been. The money you pay now is financing people's benefits today. And when your turn comes, the younger generation will finance yours. This was part of the "social contract" of Roosevelt's New Deal. Basically: You help folks in need today, and when you're in need tomorrow, folks will help you.

Social Security is exactly what it says it is: a social safety net. It is not and was never intended to be an investment strategy.

It's a great system and worked beautifully (albeit at times imperfectly) until Reagan starting gutting the system in the '80s.
My assumption is not false. You are just misunderstanding my take. The money I pay in goes to one big pool. Someone else uses it now, someone else is supposed to be replenishing the pool when I either retire or become disabled and its time for me to take a dip in the pool.

I prefer to prepare my own pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies