Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2014, 05:56 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,819 times

Advertisements

How long with this part of the propaganda parade last to get voters? The myth that women don't hold enough powerful positions in the workforce and that they don't earn equal pay for for equal work. What a pile of hot malarchy. Seriously, what is the point of all this? To make it easier for women to not have to be married?

Lets see some real objective unbiased surveys and studies that show these "facts" for what they are, a pile of crap. It certainly won't be coming from the liberal media anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 06:14 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,443,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
How long with this part of the propaganda parade last to get voters? The myth that women don't hold enough powerful positions in the workforce and that they don't earn equal pay for for equal work. What a pile of hot malarchy. Seriously, what is the point of all this? To make it easier for women to not have to be married?

Lets see some real objective unbiased surveys and studies that show these "facts" for what they are, a pile of crap. It certainly won't be coming from the liberal media anytime soon.
Honestly I didn't believe it much either, but it's actually true sometimes. I'm doing the same work as my female colleagues yet I'm being paid a bit more.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:25 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Honestly I didn't believe it much either, but it's actually true sometimes. I'm doing the same work as my female colleagues yet I'm being paid a bit more.
Same here.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:35 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:

I was once passed over for a promotion because the guy I was up against for the promotion's wife was pregnant and some of the managers thought he needed the money more. One of the managers told me because he thought I deserved to know but he said he'd deny every saying it if I went to personnel. He said that I'd get the next promotion and I did.

There is also a bias against women when we have children. When I got pregnant with my daughter, I had to be moved out of my supervisory position due to chemical exposure. I asked to RETURN to the engineering floor but was told that the people up there "Earned their jobs". I TRAINED the guy in the position I wanted to move into and he agreed to take the supervisory position until I returned from leave but the plant would not make it happen. In fact, they couldn't find a position in the plant I was qualified for in spite of the fact I Trained the process engineer. The only position I was offered came from maintenance but the maintenance supervisors have to pull 12 hour shifts 2/3 weekends and I knew I couldn't do 7 days a week with 12's late in a pregnancy. I ended up transferred to feasibility engineering which wasn't a bad fit but it was a mommy track job. My career never recovered from my unplanned pregnancy (much wanted but unplanned as we had been told we could not have children).

Shortly after returning from maternity leave with my dd I overheard my supervisor talking to another supervisor about another woman who was pregnant and planning to take a longer leave than I did. He said "She needs to look at what her competition is doing, referring to me". They tried to pretend these were not mommy track positions but at one point we had half the department pregnant. Only two of us were in the position before we were pregnant and both of us had been moved there during previous pregnancies. This was at a fortune 500 company in the 90's and we were all degreed engineers. Most of us with masters degrees.

Ultimately, those moves cost me the job altogether because I was in a position that was eliminated during a down sizing. Not surprisingly, there are no women left in that department. I had to laugh though when they had to temporarily hire back one of the women because no one else could do her job. I understand she charged them an arm to come back and run some tests for them. Rumor has it she made more in 2 months than they would have paid her in a year.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:42 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,680,113 times
Quote:
Seriously, what is the point of all this? To make it easier for women to not have to be married?
Huh? I was raised to believe a man is NOT a financial plan....

But maybe some think they are. Pathetic.

PS: Have you stopped to think that maybe some of us like to be successful and make money to provide for our families just like our male counterparts do?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:43 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense
Seriously, what is the point of all this? To make it easier for women to not have to be married?
???
Women DON'T have to be married.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:45 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,680,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
???
Women DON'T have to be married.
Apparently my only purpose in life is to get married and rear children. I am not allowed to want anything besides that.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:47 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Apparently my only purpose in life is to get married and rear children. I am not allowed to want anything besides that.
Well, of course not!! Do your womanly duty and just shut up.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:57 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,735,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
The reverse is also true. I was in a position with greater seniority, doing the exact same job only far better, and I was making less than another woman who worked there. I wasn't upset about it though. My pay was fair, if they wanted to overpay her that's their prerogative.

Most of the studies, however, show that the real pay gap, with all things being equal, is pretty small if there even actually is one. For example, this study that was commissioned by the Department of Labor.

From the forward written by the DOL:

Quote:
Although additional research in this area is clearly needed, this study leads to the unambiguous conclusion that the differences in the compensation of men and women are the result of a multitude of factors and that the raw wage gap should not be used as the basis to justify corrective action. Indeed, there may be nothing to correct. The differences in raw wages may be almost entirely the result of the individual choices being made by both male and female workers.
http://www.consad.com/content/report...l%20Report.pdf

Also...

Quote:
Recent studies have shown that the wage gap shrinks—or even reverses—when relevant factors are taken into account and comparisons are made between men and women in similar circumstances. In a 2010 study of single, childless urban workers between the ages of 22 and 30, the research firm Reach Advisors found that women earned an average of 8% more than their male counterparts. Given that women are outpacing men in educational attainment, and that our economy is increasingly geared toward knowledge-based jobs, it makes sense that women's earnings are going up compared to men's.
Carrie Lukas: There Is No Male-Female Wage Gap - WSJ.com

If there actually is a gap, it's small, closing fast, and likely to even reverse in the near future as women have higher attainment of college degrees.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:43 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
It is a huge issue in my industry almost across the board. Higher education administration is a field dominated by women in almost all categories - academic support, student and residential life, career center, library and technology services, communications, development, and general administration. But despite the majority of the staff being female, the VAST majority of senior administrators (presidents, SVPs, deans, senior counsel) are men. Most director level positions are also held by men, even if their departments are majority women.

Time and time again, I watched women get passed over for promotions for younger, less experienced men BY men. In my former department of over 50, there were ~40 women but the 10 men were all in the top positions. I fought for a promotion while winning awards in my field for the department and it took more than a year and a half for the promotion and raise to come to fruition. In the meantime, I watched a male colleague who was a year younger (significant when this was both of our first jobs out of college) get promoted TWICE in the same time period. He was infuriated by my situation because he ended up managing a project that I was basically running single-handedly and BEGGING to be empowered to manage myself. When that project was up for a major marketing award in our industry, only 5 names could be listed on the form and despite the fact that I created, implemented, and maintained this campaign, the older (male) senior leadership attempted to get my name off so that they would get credit. The 5 names were all going to be male, though thankfully two of the 5 rebelled and got me credit.

You can't even blame "mommy track" because most of the women I have watched lose out on promotions and raises either do not have children or are working moms. Many people choose to work in higher ed specifically for the flexibility with kids - and not just women!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies