Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 02:24 PM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
So I take it that means you oppose the violence against women act and all the federal protections it grants to domestic violence victims.
"So I take it that means" You should QUIT trying to read something into what people say.

It make you look foolish.

I am AGAINST ALL violence.

I see no reason to have separate laws for different people.

Just as I am against so called hate crimes.

We have enough laws on the books to prosecute people who commit acts of violence.

Do we NOT already have laws about assault? Why do we need more?

And I repeat the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT HAS NO BUSINESS IN SUCH MATTERS. It has NO business in LOCAL acts of violence.

Or maybe you think the federal government should have a law against spitting on the sidewalk and should be enforced by the EPA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 02:26 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"So I take it that means" You should QUIT trying to read something into what people say.

It make you look foolish.

I am AGAINST ALL violence.

I see no reason to have separate laws for different people.

Just as I am against so called hate crimes.

We have enough laws on the books to prosecute people who commit acts of violence.

Do we NOT already have laws about assault? Why do we need more?

And I repeat the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT HAS NO BUSINESS IN SUCH MATTERS. It has NO business in LOCAL acts of violence.

Or maybe you think the federal government should have a law against spitting on the sidewalk and should be enforced by the EPA.
That is probably one of the most pathetic answers I have ever seen. You oppose domestic violence but, you also stridently oppose constitutional legislation to help states fight it. Seriously that is saying domestic violence is bad but I am going to fight hard to make sure nothing is done about it.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:32 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
That is probably one of the most pathetic answers I have ever seen. You oppose domestic violence but, you also stridently oppose constitutional legislation to help states fight it. Seriously that is saying domestic violence is bad but I am going to fight hard to make sure nothing is done about it.
Domestic violence can be and is fought against at the local level.

The federal government has absolutely no business being involved in such matters.

This republic is a union of sovereign states, with specific powers that cannot be performed other than through a federal government assigned to that entity.

Domestic violence is among the many issues that are the responsibility of the states or the people, per the Tenth Amendment.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Domestic violence can be and is fought against at the local level.

The federal government has absolutely no business being involved in such matters.

This republic is a union of sovereign states with specific powers that cannot be performed other than through a federal government assigned to that entity.

Domestic violence is among the many issues that are the responsibility of the states or the people, per the Tenth Amendment.
If you ever do go to law school let me warn you in advance that Constitutional Law in your 1L year is going to be a big buzz kill for you.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:35 PM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
"you also stridently oppose constitutional legislation to help states fight it". The states DON'T need any help. EVERYTHING should be made a FEDERAL case.

I could just as easily call YOUR statements pathetic. Then again I find MANY like you resort to insults when people disagree with them.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:39 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
If you ever do go to law school let me warn you in advance that Constitutional Law in your 1L year is going to be a big buzz kill for you.
Harrier can assure you that he will pass Constitutional Law with no problems whatsoever.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:48 PM

88 posts, read 128,778 times
Quote:
This kind of humor shows a total lack of empathy and a lot of ignorance. People just don't think before they say something.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranium View Post
This kind of humor shows a total lack of empathy and a lot of ignorance. People just don't think before they say something.
I agree totally.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:03 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Oh look. The Media Matters Thought Police dug up a whopper on a small fry.

Yawn.

You nitwits go ahead and keep pushing this string. The rest of us are more interested in how we are going to take the president's advice about cutting household expenses to afford the ACA.

no, I am a survivor of domestic violence and I am VERY interested when ANY lawmaker makes a joke about it
I promise you there is nothing cute or funny about it
if this is the way this hack thinks,
then I hope he is voted out of office!
these jerks need to pay attention to us
I am planning on calling his office next week to let him know how little I think of him!!!
this is NOT about a party here this is about women being killed every minute by a man
so, I am not yawning!!!

Old 03-15-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
no, I am a survivor of domestic violence and I am VERY interested when ANY lawmaker makes a joke about it
I promise you there is nothing cute or funny about it
if this is the way this hack thinks,
then I hope he is voted out of office!
these jerks need to pay attention to us
I am planning on calling his office next week to let him know how little I think of him!!!
this is NOT about a party here this is about women being killed every minute by a man
so, I am not yawning!!!
I agree, the most important things I have probably done in my entire life were to assist women get protect orders civilly and the time I spend with the DAs office prosecuting batterers. It is no laughing matter and much much more needs to be done to fight abuse and end the cycle of violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies