Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 12:55 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,035,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
And the war WAS NOT fought to end slavery. .
Were you asleep when your U.S. history class covered the sectional crisis of the 1850's?

Old 03-14-2014, 12:59 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,555,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I think slavery was an excuse for the war. Most northerners weren't the righteous fighters for justice the history books make them out to be.
And they still aren't.........

[youtube]
=zxknqj-bt3k[youtube]
BOSTON

[youtube]
=U6Rf31_R-Pg[youtube]
NEW YORK

[youtube]=
N4okH6oh2s0[youtube]
CHICAGO

Old 03-14-2014, 01:00 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,248,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Were you asleep when your U.S. history class covered the sectional crisis of the 1850's?
I took Antarctica History instead, Einstein.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:02 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,035,787 times
Quote:
I took Antarctica History instead, Einstein.
That explains your comment.

You were referring to the Great Penguin Civil War.

Isn't that a scene in Happy Feet?

Old 03-14-2014, 01:07 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,964,429 times
Quote:
What history books? I never read anything that makes northerners to be morally superior. Never.

They just had a better cause, and were a hell of a lot tougher.

That makes me laugh. The North had more than double the population. They had all of the factories and suppliers. The Southerners were a hell of a lot tougher.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:24 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,455,567 times
As evidenced throughout this thread, the South remains largely misunderstood by both political sides.
And there's always some very vocal critics - many of whom haven't traveled much in the South or just repeat stereotypes.
While I've been in Colorado for 20 years, I was born & raised in North Carolina and 'go home' often. Friends & family are scattered throughout the southeast.
I hate to burst some bubbles but the South does not have a monopoly on ignorance, violence or hate. Rednecks and idiots are everywhere.
And like most of the US, you'll find that ever-present disparity between the urban & rural experience. Hamlet, NC is to Chapel Hill as Ringwood is to Princeton, NJ.

Plus, there remains a certain 'unease' with somewhat recent Civil War wounds.
Granted, racism and the hypocrisy surrounding it can be more 'amplified' in certain regions but you definitely know where you stand with some people!
This runs into direct contrast to the false 'quiet comfort' found in other parts of the country. Often, there seems to be little interaction between groups of different backgrounds who self-select neighborhoods, barely acknowledging each other.
Most of my schools were 50/50 (black/white) growing up. Good luck finding that throughout much of this country.

Comedian Aziz Ansari has Indian parents but was raised in South Carolina. He's spoken often of his love / hate with his hometown, admitting food trumps the hate.
“What these people forget is the food there is delicious,” Ansari said. “So growing up in South Carolina is kind of like, ‘Oh that guy said the n word. Oh, fried chicken and biscuits. Never mind!’ … I hate racism but, I love a good biscuit!”

Old 03-14-2014, 01:28 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,917,545 times
Quote:
The South attacked Ft. Sumpter with full knowledge of the bear they poked in the ribs with a stick.

So money and location is a weak excuse.

And the war WAS NOT fought to end slavery. So Northerners can't claim moral superiority.

Simply put, they had a better cause. And they were determined to see it through.
I concur, the war was fought for many reasons, and Northerners cannot legitimately claim moral superiority.
But many BELIEVE they have moral superiority because they BELIEVE that the South fought for slavery.

And your remark, "they had a better cause", just your use of the word "better" is an expression of moral superiority.

But these things do not address the OP's claim. Firstly, there are, indeed liberals who are not bigoted or vitriolic toward the South, regardless of where they live. And secondly, most people, whatever their political persuasion, who are bigots are bigoted because of ignorance.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
That makes me laugh. The North had more than double the population. They had all of the factories and suppliers. The Southerners were a hell of a lot tougher.
Attacking a nation that you can't beat doesn't denote toughness...it denotes STUPIDITY.

Again, Sam Houston warned his fellow southerners that Yanks were a hell of a lot tougher than they could imagine.

So don't try to use arguments about favorable logistics for the North. That's weak. If you pick a fight and lose, take your medicine and live with it. Don't make excuses.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I concur, the war was fought for many reasons, and Northerners cannot legitimately claim moral superiority.
But many BELIEVE they have moral superiority because they BELIEVE that the South fought for slavery.

And your remark, "they had a better cause", just your use of the word "better" is an expression of moral superiority.

But these things do not address the OP's claim. Firstly, there are, indeed liberals who are not bigoted or vitriolic toward the South, regardless of where they live. And secondly, most people, whatever their political persuasion, who are bigots are bigoted because of ignorance.
Fact is..the North had a better cause. They were attacked and commenced to spanking that butt of the clowns that started it...but couldn't finish it.

The South's cause was weak. They wanted the right to retain slavery.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:46 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,964,429 times
Quote:
Attacking a nation that you can't beat doesn't denote toughness...it denotes STUPIDITY.

Again, Sam Houston warned his fellow southerners that Yanks were a hell of a lot tougher than they could imagine.

So don't try to use arguments about favorable logistics for the North. That's weak. If you pick a fight and lose, take your medicine and live with it. Don't make excuses.

It is obvious you know little about the subject, and I'll let it go at that. Warned because they had three times the population and a much larger army. That's tough?The North's had nearly three times the population. (20 million vs. nine million in the South, four million of whom were black slaves.) The larger population provided a steady source of military and civilian manpower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies