Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 11:37 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Heh, yeah I've had good friends from the South(and plenty of them were liberals so this wasn't a partisan deal) who'd get really excitable about talking about how "You Yankees wouldn't ever understand" or how the Civil War was basically miscontrued or how we all needed to learn more southern manners and so on. And everyone would just sort of laugh and go, "Uh, okay."(Since no one in Oregon really cared where they were from in the first places until they kept bringing up themselves). Geez, people on the West Coast don't grow up thinking of themselves as "Northerners" to begin with.

I did like going to a Civil War reanactment with my friend from North Carolina, and watching how excited he got when the Confederates came back to win the fake Civil War battle we we're watching. "I just knew those godamn Yankees were going to lose this one."
Right! I'm from Arizona...I'm not even a Yankee!

I love the American Southwest...it's in my blood.

But geez..I don't feel the need to beat people over the head with it.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I have family on both sides of the Mason-Dixon Line, and, honestly I never understood the Civil War reenactment frenzy. Whole thing just makes me want to cry. So many young men mowed down in the prime of life, and so many families left grieving. Just tragic.
It is a tragedy and a colossal waste of lives.

But once again, the people SOUTH of that line got chesty and thought they were tougher than what they really were.

Obviously, beating up on blacks that couldn't fight back gave them a false sense of their own abilities.

Oh well...they learned eventually. The hard way.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:48 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
I'd like to believe that the war was really a fight to end slavery, but in my heart I think it was just a happy side-effect.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I'd like to believe that the war was really a fight to end slavery, but in my heart I think it was just a happy side-effect.
It wasn't a fight to end slavery. Slavery was part of the reason for the war.

And yeah..its end was a good side effect. Not so sure that southerners agree, but I do.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:57 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

And yeah..its end was a good side effect. Not so sure that southerners agree, but I do.
I think slavery was an excuse for the war. Most northerners weren't the righteous fighters for justice the history books make them out to be.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:59 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Slavery was not just part of the war it was likely the single biggest cause of the war. It drove the other issues such as states rights, and territorial expansion. Northerners believed that if slavery could be contained it would die out and southerners felt that because of industrialization and the addition of free states they would end up as a rump group and that would ultimately lead to the abolition and the end of the southern aristocracy at the hands of northern capitalists.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:00 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"but there aren't very many" And you formed your opinion on what?

I see a LOT of dems from the South on this list:

Contact Democratic Politicians
Lots of them have become more moderate rather than say, progressive like in other areas of the country. Of course there are liberals too, but again more moderate than say, the Democrats in Maryland who lean far left and are progressive.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:15 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,629 times
Many southerners do not like change. Many are still angry about them losing the "civil" war. They don't like that slavery was abolished. They hold the grudges. They don't like "yankees"
The "liberals' know this about them. That is why they do not care for them for the most part.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:35 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
There's a lot of bigotry and hatred from the left toward the South and southerners. My question is, why?
Because the big media (newspapers, TV - news and entertainment) is located in Los Angeles, NYC and DC. The entertainment media is the worst. I think the media shapes their views and most of them don't even know it.

If it's a drama and the crime is cuckoo, perverse or bigoted...rape, murder, bombing, shooting, even if the story takes place in NY or California, the perp is from the South. The only exception is when the perp is religious. That's their other target.

Then there is the non-coverage of the South (not including Florida which is full of northeasterners) by the national news media except when there is a natural disaster

We had a horrendous crime here in Tennessee in 2007. It involved carjacking, kidnapping, rape, brutal torture and murder of a young couple.

The national news media was criticized for ignoring the crime and trials because the victims were white and all five suspects were black. I'm sure if it was 4 white guys and 1 white girl doing the crimes against a young black couple, the national news media would have been all over it for months...followed by a made for tv movie.

Read the second page of the link and tell me after reading about that rape and torture of both, you think that story was not newsworthy enough to be covered nationally.

The Torture Murders of Channon Christian and Chris Newsom

Old 03-14-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I think slavery was an excuse for the war. Most northerners weren't the righteous fighters for justice the history books make them out to be.
What history books? I never read anything that makes northerners to be morally superior. Never.

They just had a better cause, and were a hell of a lot tougher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies