Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 04:45 PM

326 posts, read 478,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
You can still edit your OP. Including the title.
Thanks. Hopefully it's a little bit more clear now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 04:46 PM

423 posts, read 415,321 times
Quote:
Because the hospital is paying for all the people who believed the tripe about "free health care" and didn't set up any plan for getting sick or injured, and so dumped all their expenses on the next ten patients to come in.
^^^^^ this

Old 03-25-2014, 04:49 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,762,858 times
I am tired of the moaning that other countries have "free healthcare" so why can't we...waaaa. Canada pays dearly for their medical and so does the UK as well as other countries. Nothing is free....nothing.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:49 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,537,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You're smart enough to know what other people think? You're not intelligent, you're psychic!
LOL! If only I were, Frank.

I know because of context, and because I've seen this poor choice of words before, as I'm sure you have.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:53 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,537,139 times
Quote:
Because the hospital is paying for all the people who believed the tripe about "free health care" and didn't set up any plan for getting sick or injured, and so dumped all their expenses on the next ten patients to come in. Which, it sounds like, includes you.
Highly unlikely. Such people either can't or won't purchase insurance. It's not because they think the ER is free. If they thought healthcare were free, those with non-emergencies would show up at the doctor's office, not the ER.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:56 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,179,450 times
Do corporations deserve to make profits off of people's health condition?

Old 03-25-2014, 04:59 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,407,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I am tired of the moaning that other countries have "free healthcare" so why can't we...waaaa. Canada pays dearly for their medical and so does the UK as well as other countries. Nothing is free....nothing.
But it is a heck of a lot cheaper then what we pay, for better results.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:17 PM

43,743 posts, read 44,505,107 times
Americans deserve low cost health care that doesn't bankrupt people when they have a serious illness or a major medical situation (due to an accident, etc.).

Old 03-25-2014, 05:29 PM

1,199 posts, read 735,725 times
There is never, EVER, EVER such thing as free healthcare. Healthcare has to be paid some how and someway. Hopefully, what you meant was, healthcare that is free at the time of service!!!

I think some copay system should exist especially with ER visits. Encourage the use of health clinics or urgent care centers for non emergencies. At the hospital were I volunteered at, at least 60% of the patients had no real threat of life or limb (this should be the only reason why people go to the ER)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I understand why many people view the healthcare system as broken.......TRUE reforms are badly needed. Free healthcare for all Americans.....no, that is not workable solution in the long run.

You go into an emergency room and get raped by the hospital:

Your visit to the emergency room cost the hospital a total of $6000. And the profit for your visit, say being generous, throw in another 20%. So a reasonable bill would be about $7200.....not too bad. But in actuality that is not the way it works.......how the bill is totaled, who knows. Instead of a $7200 bill......your bill is $20,000.

I think dishonest billing is probably one of the biggest scams that the hospitals/doctors/clinics seem to get a pass on.

^^^^^THIS THIS THIS^^^^^^^^^

As long as we allow hospitals to price gouge us on procedures and services, we will never lower costs. As well, allow the fed or states to negotiate with the pharmaceutical industry to help lower the cost of prescription drug prices.

And we need to find a way to streamline the entire system, as there is too much money being spent on the administrative side of healthcare.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:32 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,542,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You're smart enough to know what other people think? You're not intelligent, you're psychic!
This is the problem with this discussion.

I agree with the person who was originally quoted. No one has anything compelling to say, so they just pretend like they thought the OP somehow meant literally free healthcare, and not universalized which was blatantly obvious.

And yes, I believe all people should be entitled to some sort of system that doesn't gouge them on individual visits. Jumping the tax a couple percent to levy off the burden is *gasp* really not so bad. I'm not sure why it's so popular to hate poor people and those struggling to manage a modest life when all it means is a relatively small sacrifice on everyone's part.

"Waaaah, now I can't afford that summer cottage sailboat. Get the govnment out of my house waaahh"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies