Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2014, 12:20 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,536,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
There is a difference between a hand up and a hand out. Unfortunately all too many in our society don't seem to understand the difference. A hand up is not a permanent situation, while a hand out seems to have become more a more permanent. Once upon a time in this country, we had commodities instead of a plastic card that is equated as free money. The commodities were healthy food, but far from delicious. (The peanut butter really sucked.) While it helped the families, it sure didn't make it preferential to be on them.
I agree with you, but the question still remains, what do we do? We can't force corporations to create jobs here rather than overseas, so since these jobs are not coming back, how do we shape society so that all can rely on themselves rather than the government? If the job losses are permanent, we should expect some permanence in the welfare rolls. To me, the answer lies in education. How do we accomplish that? The public school system has severe problems in many areas, and we can't expect the unemployed to pay for a private education. As a civil society, I feel we do owe certain things to our citizens. What those things are can be debated, but the status quo is getting us nowhere. It looks like a race to the bottom.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Maybe because people should be encouraged to take care of themselves before they can help others. Democrats encourage dependency and want to spend money we don't have for social ills rather than first helping people help themselves therefor not needing welfare.

We should measure welfare's success by how many people leave welfare, not by how many are added. (Reagan) Rememer when Pelosi (Democrat) said welfare gives us the biggest bang for our buck. Welfare puts back into the economy? Essentially saying welfare is a good thing. The democratic mentality... dependency on government.

Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence.
Thanks, petch, but I was specifically asking lilyflower. I already know your leanings.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:22 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,776,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Thanks, petch, but I was specifically asking lilyflower. I already know your leanings.
She can answer so you discount my post because I lean right? Good to know. So I can say I know your leanings

"Welfare puts money back into the economy"
"Welfare gives us the biggest bang for our buck"
--- Pelosi

Democrat justifying dependency on government (Tax payer money, OPM that they worked hard to make).

Old 04-06-2014, 12:26 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,945,226 times
Quote:
I agree with you, but the question still remains, what do we do? We can't force corporations to create jobs here rather than overseas, so since these jobs are not coming back, how do we shape society so that all can rely on themselves rather than the government? If the job losses are permanent, we should expect some permanence in the welfare rolls. To me, the answer lies in education. How do we accomplish that? The public school system has severe problems in many areas, and we can't expect the unemployed to pay for a private education. As a civil society, I feel we do owe certain things to our citizens. What those things are can be debated, but the status quo is getting us nowhere. It looks like a race to the bottom.
45 years ago I moved to where the jobs were. I had to go alone and work and wait for my family. There are places where good jobs are abundant. The problem is, people just simply are no longer willing to make the sacrifices for their families that need to be made to move ahead.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Good for them but don't criticize people like me for becoming successful.
I haven't criticized anyone for success, as I clearly stated in another post.
Quote:
But we have a president that does just that. "you didn't build that", pay your fair share" when I already pay out the ass end and the people ranting pay little to none.

We've all said, if I ever get rich I am going to do .... and anyone I know says they want to help their family. I'm no different but when the president attacks me for doing well (and I am not rich) and wants to take more and more what do you think I am doing? Instead of helping my family, instead of putting money back into the economy I am holding back of course. I live in a country with a greedy president and greedy people who think they have a right to the money I make.

I have never understood why it is greed to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money. --- Thomas Sowell

“I am so old that I can remember when other people's achievements were considered to be an inspiration, rather than a grievance.” Thomas Sowell

You'll appreciate Thomas Sowell, someone on cd turned me on to him. He has many good points.

https://twitter.com/ThomasSowell
I don't care what Obama said. I think Sewell is overly simplistic.

I tend to vote Democratic, but when I want a common-sense Republican view, I turn to Joe Scarborough. His new book, The Right Path looks very interesting. It appears to be very political, and focusses on the Republican Party, but I agree with him completely when he says, "We need to attract those who would vote for Colin Powell as well as those who would vote for Ted Cruz."

Old 04-06-2014, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Of course they won't come back if our government acts hostile toward them.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
I haven't criticized anyone for success, as I clearly stated in another post.

I don't care what Obama said. I think Sewell is overly simplistic.

I tend to vote Democratic, but when I want a common-sense Republican view, I turn to Joe Scarborough. His new book, The Right Path looks very interesting. It appears to be very political, and focusses on the Republican Party, but I agree with him completely when he says, "We need to attract those who would vote for Colin Powell as well as those who would vote for Ted Cruz."
I wasn't paying attention when colen Powel was talking so I can't say but will do some reading on his view. As for Ted Cruz yes I like him. There is nothing wrong with what he wants but the left demonizes him for wanting what we all should want, less government, less taxes.

Last edited by petch751; 04-06-2014 at 12:41 AM..

Old 04-06-2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
45 years ago I moved to where the jobs were. I had to go alone and work and wait for my family. There are places where good jobs are abundant. The problem is, people just simply are no longer willing to make the sacrifices for their families that need to be made to move ahead.
Some people, yes. For those who won't, how do we incentivize them?

I did the same as you, 36 years ago. The world has changed quite a bit since then. We get the society we create. I don't have the answers, but letting the wealth gap increase is certainly not the solution.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:36 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,945,226 times
Quote:

I did the same as you, 36 years ago. The world has changed quite a bit since then. We get the society we create. I don't have the answers, but letting the wealth gap increase is certainly not the solution.
Stop creating an atmosphere of incentives to not move ahead would be a nice start.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:36 AM

Quote:

You can point the way but if people are unwilling to do anything to help themselves you can only do so much. Years ago and working in a hospital I found there are those who will try to help themselves recover at great effort, there are those who will let you do everything for them if you let them. The same goes for people financially, some people will just be in line again tomorrow for another handout without doing anything to help themselves.

Anyway nice debating everyone. Calling it a night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.