Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 01:55 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
That's where you are mistaken. Society was doing it. Civic organizations and churches were feeding the poor and seeing to medical needs. Government intervened and actually worsened the situation.
I think you need to get into reading history, History shows that americans were starving to death, had really bad diets and infant death, and sickness like small pox were more rampid before welfare. Now i challenge you to find a stat today that says people are dying in the US from starving or from diseases such as small pox or measles? You won't find any.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The problem is that doing so created an artificial incentive for those who can't support themselves to overbreed. Those who receive public assistance have a 3 times higher birth rate than those who don't.

U.S. Census citations and links, here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/32045595-post217.html

Consequently, we have a problem with an unsustainable exponentially increasing welfare-dependent population. I've already shown the math on how devastating the results will be, here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/34233827-post268.html
You know i bet if you did some real research you will find that it isnt the guy getting the 200mth in stamps that is ripping you off but the big business behind poverty & homelessness. When 70% of all donated funds on average goto administration costs of nonprofits or government programs . Were alot of charities CEOs are making millions in pay. Examine administration costs its not costs of serving

Old 04-07-2014, 02:06 PM

those in need

Old 04-07-2014, 02:10 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
LOL, you pony up as much as me and we'll be even. How about the 47% pony up as much as us? Since they believe in government so much how about we spread the cost of government around to them too.

Sorry what me and you pay added up, even multiplied we couldn't pay as much as Romney.
Knock off the 1% apologism.

I don't care if you make $20,000 per year or $20 million per year.

Income is taxed as a % to the dollar.. not "<insert name> contributed X dollars".

Romney did not pay his fair share of taxes. His fair share of taxes is taxing income at the same rate as everyone else. Instead, he gets preferential treatment due to capital gains. Capital gains income should not be taxed differently than earned income.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly. Everything the government touches turns into a disaster. They pretty much screw up and hyper-inflate the costs of just about everything they get their grimy paws on, including but not limited to the following:

Medical care (Medicaid and Medicare)
Post-secondary education (student loans)
U.S. mortgage market and subsequently the housing bubble, burst, and the 2008 financial crisis (Fannie and Freddie's $1 trillion in securities fraud, confirmed by an SEC investigation)
The Military Industrial Complex
And on and on...
I remember a time when higher education in alot of state institutions was free except books, the reason it isn't free anymore is because we don't collect enough taxes because some people don't pay there fair share.

THE TRUTH ABOUT TAXES: High Rates On Rich People Do Not Hurt The Economy - Business Insider

Old 04-07-2014, 02:13 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
You know i bet if you did some real research you will find that it isnt the guy getting the 200mth in stamps that is ripping you off but the big business behind poverty & homelessness.
I sincerely doubt it. How is big business forcing those who receive public assistance to have a 3 times higher birth rate than those who don't receive public assistance?

Old 04-07-2014, 02:18 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Knock off the 1% apologism.

I don't care if you make $20,000 per year or $20 million per year.

Income is taxed as a % to the dollar.. not "<insert name> contributed X dollars".

Romney did not pay his fair share of taxes. His fair share of taxes is taxing income at the same rate as everyone else. Instead, he gets preferential treatment due to capital gains. Capital gains income should not be taxed differently than earned income.
If it is the same for everyone why mention Romney???

Old 04-07-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
And what makes government the almighty? You do realize the government is corrupt right? You surely are not that naive.
Yes i do but i also know our government can't get away with anything that isn't normally accepted in our society. Nixon was an example of this.

Because in our society, greed, the love of the almighty dollar over others, I over we are acceptable so how can we not except our government to not be the sameway. Can you imagine what life would be like without laws protecting body and property from a society that thinks greed is a positive trait?

Old 04-07-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Romney did not pay his fair share of taxes. His fair share of taxes is taxing income at the same rate as everyone else.
Romney's effective federal income tax rate was higher than that paid by the middle class.

And I agree, we should have a flat tax. Here's the IRS latest data on what average effective federal income tax rate the different income groups pay:

Top 1%: 23.5%

Top 1-5%: 17.7%

Top 5-10%: 12.8%

Top 10-25%: 9.7%

Top 25-50%: 7% (the middle class)

Bottom 50%: 3.13%

Average of all tax-eligible income recipients: 12.54%

Latest IRS Federal Income Tax Data
SOI Tax Stats - Individual Income Tax Return (Form 1040) Statistics

Let's go with the national average and have every income receiver pay a 12.54% federal income tax rate.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
I remember a time when higher education in alot of state institutions was free except books, the reason it isn't free anymore is because we don't collect enough taxes because some people don't pay there fair share.
Look at the actual average effective federal income tax rates I posted above, and tell me exactly who isn't paying their fair share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies