Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 05:43 AM

6 posts, read 13,344 times

Advertisements

Why do so many people oppose stem cell research? YA YA YA I know the whole debate about using aborted baby’s and unused embryos,(yes I’m pro choice) But do you people opposed to stem cell research know there are other sources for stem cells? Like umbilical cord blood! You can donate your baby’s umbilical cord blood after it’s born and they use the stem cells in the cord blood for research, if you don’t donate it, they just throw it away. So what’s the problem with that? Ill tell you what To appease all you prolifers what do you say we stop using aborted baby’s and unused embryos for research and just use umbilical cord blood, would that make you happy? That way we can continue the life saving research and both sides will be satisfied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 12:50 PM

There is NO stem cell research ban. None. There is only a ban on FEDERAL FUNDING of research. If you are John Kerry you could sell a couple million share of Heinz Ketchup stock and fund it for a year. If you're Bill Gates rich, you could fund it forever. There is absolutely no ban on PRIVATE funding of stem cell research.

Personally, I'm not against stem cell research per se, but I do think(1) Any public funding of controversial things should be done with great care (2) If stem cell research was that promising, you'd have been pharmaceutical and medical companies tripping over each other trying to fund the best medical minds. This isn't happening, folks, because it is a medical dead end.

Still, why does the media NEVER report that there really is no ban on research only a ban on federal funding of such research? There IS a difference.
Diseases treated with cord blood

Old 12-06-2007, 06:59 PM

14 posts, read 62,802 times
The media does report that federal funding is what is banned. That is just not what people choose to hear or that is just not what people understand. I get tired of this whole blaming the "liberal" media for everything.

I am actually for federal funding of stem cell research. It does show great promise but companies are not funding it themselves because it is going to take a great deal of money for a while and it might be some time before the payoff. This is pretty typical of much of current medical breakthroughs.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:19 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,065,164 times
Federal funding is needed for seed money for alot of research then that attracts venture capital. Pharmaceutical companies are about the last ones that want to touch a discovery, they want mostly proven technologies with low risk. They are less nimble and flexible than the smaller venture capital and biomedical companies.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:48 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,829,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassandra4 View Post
There is NO stem cell research ban. None. There is only a ban on FEDERAL FUNDING of research. If you are John Kerry you could sell a couple million share of Heinz Ketchup stock and fund it for a year. If you're Bill Gates rich, you could fund it forever. There is absolutely no ban on PRIVATE funding of stem cell research.

Personally, I'm not against stem cell research per se, but I do think(1) Any public funding of controversial things should be done with great care (2) If stem cell research was that promising, you'd have been pharmaceutical and medical companies tripping over each other trying to fund the best medical minds. This isn't happening, folks, because it is a medical dead end.

Still, why does the media NEVER report that there really is no ban on research only a ban on federal funding of such research? There IS a difference.
Ibelieve you have answered your own question, it is basically a non issue. the left and the media kept trying to stir the pot and imply that the President and those on the right were against all stem cell research, when in fact it was just the use of federal money to harvest cells from aborted babies that we opposed. Typical!! Turns out the President was right............Stem Cell Breakthrough: No More Need to Destroy Embryos?

Old 12-06-2007, 07:54 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassandra4 View Post
Why do so many people oppose stem cell research? YA YA YA I know the whole debate about using aborted baby’s and unused embryos,(yes I’m pro choice) But do you people opposed to stem cell research know there are other sources for stem cells? Like umbilical cord blood! You can donate your baby’s umbilical cord blood after it’s born and they use the stem cells in the cord blood for research, if you don’t donate it, they just throw it away. So what’s the problem with that? Ill tell you what To appease all you prolifers what do you say we stop using aborted baby’s and unused embryos for research and just use umbilical cord blood, would that make you happy? That way we can continue the life saving research and both sides will be satisfied.
Yes, I have been TELLING people this for a long, long time. In fact you can also cryo-freeze your cord blood stem cells for your own personal use later on in life... how about that? You don't kill fetuses, you use plain stem cells for your own cure... but still why is not used widely? Because there are problems with stimulating it to differentiate to certain lineage HOWEVER its only a matter of time before that is fixed. That's the important thing... TIME... all the wealthy celebrities don't want to wait and so they want to kill fetuses now and harvest their stem cells so they can't get better. This is a serious problem of morality... it was never a real issue until the wealthy start getting sick and now a big push is made for stem cell research from fetuses... In fact other research have been made where mature differentiated cells have been induced to revert to stem cell lineage and later induced to other tissue types... no stem cells needed... but still the push for a "fast" cure instead of a moral one. Its not like stem cell research is not going to be productive, its just a matter of when. Should we be killing fetuses when there are so many alternatives to producing stem cells. Don't be mistaken about it, stem cells come from fetuses and they ARE from living beings... but the morality of it is a matter of debate...

Last edited by evilnewbie; 12-06-2007 at 08:09 PM..

Old 12-06-2007, 08:09 PM

OK getting back to the original question(because we could argue all day about the merits of embryonic stem cell research)...

Why the deception by the media and proponents of research ? Why not say a "ban on funding ?" Doesn't it hurt the credibility of your cause when you don't tell the truth ?

Old 12-06-2007, 08:17 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
I did answer your question... the "ban on funding" is ONLY on creating stem cells derived from fetuses... there is no ban on funding for research that uses alternate means of getting stem cells... unfortunately, like I said earlier, celebrities and the very wealthy want cures now but don't want to use all of their money.. they want to use your money instead and they want fast cures instead of moral ones and so they push to get stem cell funding ONLY with harvesting from fetuses... they don't want to pursue other avenues... there is no ban on alternate ways to get stem cells only on creating/using stem cells harvested from fetuses... Do you still feel sorry for Michael J. Fox? I have no empathy for people that want cures over someone else's life, reminds me of the Nazi's...

Old 12-06-2007, 08:24 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Ibelieve you have answered your own question, it is basically a non issue. the left and the media kept trying to stir the pot and imply that the President and those on the right were against all stem cell research, when in fact it was just the use of federal money to harvest cells from aborted babies that we opposed. Typical!! Turns out the President was right............Stem Cell Breakthrough: No More Need to Destroy Embryos?
And what about the frozen embryos that are the product of in vitro procedures that are slated to be destroyed, they are not the product of (your words) "aborted babies" so you've already mis-stated your case as well as well as implying that fertilized eggs are babies whixh is a best a distortion of fact.

And what's typical is not the President being right but casually passing over a key point of the article you yourself cite.

"The breakthrough may one day quell the debate over stem cell research. But team member Kevin Eggan said the technology is still in early stages and is not a replacement for methods currently used to derive embryonic stem cells. "

People are ill and need help ASAP, not "one day"

Old 12-06-2007, 08:26 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,229,470 times
I really don't think anyone is against research which can result in significant medical breakthroughs. Practically all of us have seen the suffering associated with severe medical problems, and the agony of the end of life.

I think all would support stem cell research, and the funding of this research, if not using the fetus tissue. Frankly, I think this whole discussion is rapidly going to come to a close, except for the level of funding, when they get going on the alternative to the fetus tissue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies