Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 07:57 PM

229 posts, read 691,436 times

Advertisements

I don't really see anything wrong with it... If I had a disease and they could cure me with stem cell research, by all means, do it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 08:08 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
It isn't about the technology but about where it comes from... stem cells can come from a LOT of different things... cord blood, tissue, and the infamous fetus... a lot of stem cells are collected from fetuses because it is easier to work with... HOWEVER, cord blood is also a good source without any controversy but are harder to work with... the controversy is when you kill a fetus to collect stem cells... the solution seems easy, right? Use cord blood stem cells and go from there... Problem is, some people don't want to wait an extra 5-10 years.. they want it now and they don't care how you get there.... some people object to how you get there, especially when you are killing fetuses....

Old 01-15-2009, 08:10 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,189,107 times
At the present time, the best source of stem cells is from fertilized eggs....some call them babies. So in some minds, it's murder of the innocent. Therefore, it's immoral to use the stem cells as it destroys the future person.

These are cells that would eventually be thrown away if the "parents" didn't want them.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
The hysterical fringe believes that people will actually get pregnant with the intent to abort, in order to sell the stem-cells of the poor little darlings. So we throw a million souls a year into dumpsters and waste the stem cells.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:13 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,547,998 times
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh!

Old 01-15-2009, 10:26 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,233,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The hysterical fringe believes that people will actually get pregnant with the intent to abort, in order to sell the stem-cells of the poor little darlings. So we throw a million souls a year into dumpsters and waste the stem cells.
Is that the U.S. hysterical fringe or the Canadian, British, French, Danish and Russian hysterical fringe as well?

Old 01-16-2009, 12:34 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
My answer - because in a gross example of hypocrisy & irony, some people are willing to let LIVING humans die to save a fetus. Most of these fetuses aren't even viable, and will end up unused in the garbage. As others have mentioned, they also fail to realize there are other ways to get stem cells... my sister saved her daughter's cord blood, which many parents are now doing (and I will too if I have kids). IMHO, anyone who opposed stem cell research is being selfish and ignorant.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:46 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,475,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Is that the U.S. hysterical fringe or the Canadian, British, French, Danish and Russian hysterical fringe as well?
If they believe the same thing then I would classify them as insane and unable to relate to normal human beings.

"Aright guys let's get pregnant then abort the kid for profit"

Do people honestly believe this crap?

Old 01-16-2009, 04:55 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
At the present time, the best source of stem cells is from fertilized eggs....some call them babies. So in some minds, it's murder of the innocent. Therefore, it's immoral to use the stem cells as it destroys the future person.

These are cells that would eventually be thrown away if the "parents" didn't want them.
This is what I don't understand. If they are going to be destroyed anyway, why not put them to good use and help out some living, breathing people?

Old 01-16-2009, 04:56 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Is that even possible? I wouldn't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies