Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 12:05 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
Gays do have the same rights, as I do and any other citizen. You can marry anyone (old enough to marry) of the opposite sex.
In America, we don't put conditions on our rights. That would be like saying you can vote ... as long as you're white. Or you can own a gun, as long as you're male.

See how that works?

Old 04-04-2014, 12:22 PM

872 posts, read 827,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
In America, we don't put conditions on our rights. That would be like saying you can vote ... as long as you're white. Or you can own a gun, as long as you're male.

See how that works?
No conditions, huh? So you're saying we should not have the condition of having 1 (one) spouse? So, if you wanted to you could have 5 (five) wife's or 5 ( five) husband's....legally. Wow, that would be something. Then if you have the same 'rights' as a 'traditional marriage' you would be able to have all of the financial benefits x 5.

Since, we do not put conditions on our rights in America.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
No conditions, huh? So you're saying we should not have the condition of having 1 (one) spouse? So, if you wanted to you could have 5 (five) wife's or 5 ( five) husband's....legally. Wow, that would be something. Then if you have the same 'rights' as a 'traditional marriage' you would be able to have all of the financial benefits x 5.

Since, we do not put conditions on our rights in America.
Actually, I do believe that. No conditions. If you want to have five husbands, be my guest. Personally, one is all I can handle.

And of course there is actually one condition to marriage rights that I don't believe anyone would argue with: Must be consenting adults.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:41 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,796 times
Whether you support gay marriage or not, it's wrong to use Federal Activist Judges to overturn the will of the people like this. It's an expansion of the Government and it's only a matter of time before they overturn or impose laws that you do like. What if an activist judge decides that guns should be banned? Or that you should pay more taxes? This is opening the door to all kinds of abuses of power.

If the good people of Ohio wanted gay marriage, they would vote for it. I wish we would just have Separation of Marriage and State. Just have Civil Unions for everyone and end this whole issue.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
Whether you support gay marriage or not, it's wrong to use Federal Activist Judges to overturn the will of the people like this. It's an expansion of the Government and it's only a matter of time before they overturn or impose laws that you do like. What if an activist judge decides that guns should be banned? Or that you should pay more taxes? This is opening the door to all kinds of abuses of power.

If the good people of Ohio wanted gay marriage, they would vote for it. I wish we would just have Separation of Marriage and State. Just have Civil Unions for everyone and end this whole issue.
If the good people of Alabama had wanted integrated schools, they would have voted for it.

What a disturbing mindset you have.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:48 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,455,621 times
Quote:

A Judge's job is to rule if a law is Constitutional or not. If you disagree with the Judge's ruling that the law is Unconstitutional (whether its this law or another one) that is one thing, and argue from that vantage point. However, to claim a Judge is activist because they ruled a law Unconstitutional is just flat out false.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:52 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times
Quote:
Whether you support gay marriage or not, it's wrong to use Federal Activist Judges to overturn the will of the people like this.
Why not? That is EXACTLY what the courts are there to do, when needed.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:00 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,884,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I know, not to you. Your posts are proof that you support the idea that some people in America are "more equal than others", and that gays do not deserve the same rights provided by the government to straights.

Just another Constitution-lovin' conservative, that's you!

Think of this way.
If the bans go down state by state, The gay Lesbian Transsexual is no longer a protected class. Always remember what over law is past by man is by man.

GL rights should be no higher than any other law abiding citizen. Going forward not protected classes.
If you guys want equal so be it!
I still do not like to hear other peoples dirty laundry on the street. Such things about the GL Movement was much better on the low in the day!

What I do I know I am a Old Fart!

Old 04-04-2014, 01:05 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,849,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Think of this way.
If the bans go down state by state, The gay Lesbian Transsexual is no longer a protected class. Always remember what over law is past by man is by man.

GL rights should be no higher than any other law abiding citizen. Going forward not protected classes.
If you guys want equal so be it!
I still do not like to hear other peoples dirty laundry on the street. Such things about the GL Movement was much better on the low in the day!
What on earth are you talking about? I recognize that its English but it makes no sense.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:06 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,809,462 times
While this ruling is one upon which a future ruling striking down Ohio's ban on same-sex marriage could be built, such a ruling would probably be moot anyway - a District Court judge has already ruled that Michigan's ban is unconstitutional, and that case has been appealed to the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals. Ohio is also in the Sixth Circuit, and the Circuit Court's decision will be binding upon Ohio, mostly likely before this coming summer is over.

Of course, the United States Supreme Court will then have its say, probably sometime in the first half of 2015.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies