Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 05:33 PM

46,975 posts, read 26,018,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
By this logic, even MP's shouldn't be allowed to carry, because MP's are also brothers in arms, right?
No. MPs are distinctly and purposefully placed as a caste apart. Not that you'd leave them in the lurch once the balloon goes up, but they're not part of the delicate system of unit discipline that Ralph_Kirk describes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 05:54 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,903,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
No. MPs are distinctly and purposefully placed as a caste apart. Not that you'd leave them in the lurch once the balloon goes up, but they're not part of the delicate system of unit discipline that Ralph_Kirk describes.
Well, I don't know, and I freely admit that I don't know.

There are others out there far more qualified than me to make these decisions. { bet you never thought you'd see the day a City-Data poster admitted that huh? }

In my uneducated opinion, there should at least be some option for those who want to carry for self defense to be able to do so. Training, screenings, whatever, just keep the option open to those interested.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:06 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
By this logic, even MP's shouldn't be allowed to carry, because MP's are also brothers in arms, right?
Well, a lot of other soldiers would have to give that some thought...which proves my point. No, MPs aren't thought of in quite the same way, nor do they go into combat with other soldiers.

Quote:
People who carry for self defense in their everyday lives don't view everyone around them as a threat. They aren't preparing to shoot everyone around them. They are just realistic of reality that there are bad people in this world, and are prepared to defend themselves if necessary. I can't imagine a soldier who would be allowed to carry would be any different.
I'm sure you can't imagine it. There is a vast, vast gulf between civilians and the military. [MOD CUT/off topic]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-08-2014 at 09:52 PM..

Old 04-08-2014, 06:08 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
No, we can agree the right to keep and bear arms does not disappear at the gate of a Base/Airfield/Shipyard.
Yes it does. It most certainly does. You walk on base with your gun, claim the second amendment and see if you don't still wind up in the brig.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:20 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,839,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
This did not just start with this document. This had been base or command-level policy since the Civil War. A number of veterans from various periods since the mid 60s (including myself from the early 70s) have already testified in this thread that it had been the policy for all of our careers.

Military policies are often updated and reinforced. Just because you have a document with a given date doesn't mean it hadn't long been the policy. For instance, you'll find a documents in every service signed in just the last few years prohibiting fraternization, even though fraternization has been prohibited in every military literally since before Caesar.
True.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:30 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,839,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkyler View Post
Why have I seen so many liberals saying that the 2nd amendment doesn't apply to ordinary citizens, then when this shooting happened they're saying soldiers shouldn't be able to bear arms either, so who exactly does the 2nd amendment refer to when it says "the right of the people"? The police?
I would think that an employer for any job can restrict employees from carrying firearms on the job.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:32 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,126,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, a lot of other soldiers would have to give that some thought...which proves my point. No, MPs aren't thought of in quite the same way, nor do they go into combat with other soldiers.

I'm sure you can't imagine it. There is a vast, vast gulf between civilians and the military. Even Jesus said so.
I was an MP, my DH Retired as an MP (23 years) and all of our friends either were or are still MPs. We all know that we are set apart from the rest of the Soldiers and this is the way we like it.

The idea that Soldiers could be armed (other than training) is really frightening considering some of the fights we have had to break up. It is bad enough when Soldiers go at it after drinking, watching a ball game or have the same love interest but introducing weapons all but guarantees injuries that might maim or kill.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:37 PM

55 posts, read 41,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
No, we can agree the right to keep and bear arms does not disappear at the gate of a Base/Airfield/Shipyard.

We deny the rights these man and women fight and die for, especially when they need them most...
Umm... Yes, like I said when we signed the dotted line we gave up our rights as service men/women to ensure yours. There has to be strict adherence to base orders and regulations in the military. If you live on base housing you are allowed to keep a personal firearm in your house. If you live in the barracks however, the answer is no.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:04 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,233,400 times
Quote:
Just as in civilian life, I don't think everyone should be automatically permitted to walk around with a gun on their hip on a military base. However, I do think that if a soldier wants to be able to arm themselves, there should certainly be some avenue available for them to be able to do that.. In the civilian world, we have a permit process for people who want to be able to legally carry a weapon, or at least most states require a permit. Why can't we do the same for a soldier living on base? Put whatever kind of training requirments or mental evaluations in front of it that you want, but at least give them the option.
I'm sorry that you just can't understand what a logistical nightmare that would be. It's simply not possible.

You'd have to be an Army veteran to understand.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:38 AM

46,317 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Whether you like it or not, as a Soldier, you have lost rights once you sign the dotted line....

Think of it like this....

Civillian:

Your boss said SURE, my workers will be glad to take a pay cut, what would you do? Walk out right, say got to heck....find another job....

Military:

Your boss says SURE, my Soldiers will be glad to take a pay cut, what do you do? Nothing, if you walk out, you go to jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies