Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 12:27 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If you need to, google who was president during Feb. 25, 1992.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a272176.pdf
What were google president from military personnel sidearms while looking under are you referring too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 12:33 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's the difference between guys that served and guys that didn't. Especially in the Army.

Guys have NO IDEA what a logistical nightmare it would be to arm rank and file troops...most of whom have NO sidearm training at all.

I sent a rep your way.
Great post.

While I did not serve, several of my friends did and I've heard the stories about a couple of the more mentally deficient guys they served with and how Darwinism almost claimed a few of them...and did get one or two.

I've also taught people to shoot .22's and there have been "oh crap, don't turn around with the gun pointed level" type moments.

As it stands, motorcycles kill more people in a month in the military than a decade or two worth of base shootings. People are just trying to make it political in an election year.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:12 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Great post.

While I did not serve, several of my friends did and I've heard the stories about a couple of the more mentally deficient guys they served with and how Darwinism almost claimed a few of them...and did get one or two.

I've also taught people to shoot .22's and there have been "oh crap, don't turn around with the gun pointed level" type moments.

As it stands, motorcycles kill more people in a month in the military than a decade or two worth of base shootings. People are just trying to make it political in an election year.
Exactly.

I don't know how many times I've had to say that this isn't a gun control issue.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:24 PM

129 posts, read 101,234 times
Why have I seen so many liberals saying that the 2nd amendment doesn't apply to ordinary citizens, then when this shooting happened they're saying soldiers shouldn't be able to bear arms either, so who exactly does the 2nd amendment refer to when it says "the right of the people"? The police?

Old 04-08-2014, 02:29 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkyler View Post
Why have I seen so many liberals saying that the 2nd amendment doesn't apply to ordinary citizens, then when this shooting happened they're saying soldiers shouldn't be able to bear arms either, so who exactly does the 2nd amendment refer to when it says "the right of the people"? The police?
You want the list of amendments soldiers don't get to claim? Because it's pretty much all of them.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:34 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkyler View Post
Serious question, do you believe soldiers deserve their 2rd amendment right?

Old 04-08-2014, 02:36 PM

645 posts, read 1,964,727 times
Besides law enforcement there is absolutely no reason for service members to carry guns on base when they aren't in a combat zone.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Serious question, do you believe soldiers deserve their 2rd amendment right?
Why shouldn't they, they're still US citizens the last time I checked

Old 04-08-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo31 View Post
Besides law enforcement there is absolutely no reason for service members to carry guns on base when they aren't in a combat zone.
Tell that to the soldiers who got shot and couldn't defend themselves. Here's one of them that was shot 7 times in the 2009 fort hood shooting, it doesn't look like he agrees with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAbzAe1_WNk

Old 04-08-2014, 03:01 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Limited experience?

I was an Airborne Infantryman! There is nothing limited about that. In my brief time on active duty, I was stationed with every kind of knucklehead, loser, and mental midget that the Army has to offer. Have you seen the type of guys that come through combat arms? You just can't have these kids walking around post with sidearms...it's suicidal.

Do you have any idea what goes on in a typical military unit? The fights, the alcohol, the grudges and resentments, the adultery and cheating, the stress from being subjected to 5 changes a day on how a task should be carried out?

Too many of you have this weird, idealized version of military life that simply isn't the way it really is. And again, logistically, arming soldiers is simply an impossibility. There isn't enough time in the day for it.

No one that has ever did a stint in the Army would advocate for something as insane as arming soldiers on a daily basis.
My apology for not making my claim clearer.

I was referring to earlier on the thread when a poster said he carried a gun with him at work and you said, "I'm not wrong.

Can you carry a gun on your job?

Nope.

And there you have it."

What makes you make such a statement? Are you at his work? Do you know where he works?

On the subject of the thread, I don't believe every person on base should be armed. I do believe that we need MORE MP/SP Marines etc. types or even private security doing guard duty around all bases not just at the entrance gates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies