Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 02:56 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Of Four View Post
Why did he strip when it was just the manager telling him to do so? Pft. Call the cops and let them sort it out I ain't stripping for no one. I see the hate group the black panthers are joining the fray which will just hurt his case..he has a case all on its own to me. Lucky that manager wasn't charged with something for forcing him to stay there.
Maybe he felt he was pressured/coerced. I wouldn't have done it .

He should just get a lawyer this Quanell X fool isn't going to help his case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 05:26 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
there doesnt need to be a direct threat of physical force, an implied one will do nicely for the couple. if there was a statement made like, "you are not going anywhere until we get this sorted out", is plenty for a court of law, especially considering that a security guard and the police were called in.
Tha's what I keep saying. "Because someone said". The store owner doesn't have the authority unless the individual in question gives it to him.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:21 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast Iron Skillet View Post
Not true, I watch a thief snatch a whole rack of real gold necklaces off a rack in a center cubical of the mall and bolt off once. Security ran after him and tackled his ass NFL style to the ground. It was also grand theft, he had well over $10,000 worth. Nobody was arrested or went to jail except the thief.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
You need to read up on reasonable suspicion, probable cause and similar issues. A man holding a giant rack of merchandise is pretty obvious. For a small pair of earrings, there had better be video of the person concealing them or a very credible witness, as well as intent to remove them from the store without paying.
like matt pointed out, two different scenarios completely. in one instance there was just cause to take down the shoplifter because he actually stole the merchandise. in the other scenario the person picked up the merchandise and looked at it then put it back, and was subjected to an improper search and detainment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast Iron Skillet View Post
Well, you should know you have every right to detain a suspected shoplifter until they are found with the merchandise or they don't have it. Do you have the right to rough them up? No, not really. But detain them until it's sorted out, yes indeed. If not, no shoplifters would ever get caught. There are not enough LEOs around to work every single retail store, flee market, auto swap meet etc... I'm like most, I don't want them arrested. I just want my ***t back and for them to get out like most/many people do. They sure aren't going to press any charges or file a lawsuit when you let them walk after they fork over the stolen goods. Not if they had any brains. Does the guy who just knocked off the 7-11 report that the clerk pulled a 12 gauge pump on them? What do you think? LOL

People don't just "suspect" you stole something for any reason either. You are acting funny....putting your hands back and forth into your pockets, wearing a long trench coat, go to the changing room and nothing comes back out with you, eyeballing the clerk relentlessly etc etc etc...

The "shoplifter vibe".

People with experience can smell and sense it a mile away.
That's why most gas stations only let so many teenagers in at any given time after school.
did you bother to read the article? the security guard looked at the video, and found NO evidence that the guy did anything wrong, the police also found no evidence of wrong doing. there was no suspicion of shoplifting just someone who decided there was and made a case that will likely get the store sued into bankruptcy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies