Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 08:05 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times

Advertisements

I surely hope there is more to this story than this small article. This just seems so extreme. link won't work but basically a 4 year old drew a picture of a man with a gun, teacher called family services and when the man came to pick up his kid he was arrested and strip searched. when they searched his house the only thing they found was a TOY gun. I would have a pluperfect fit if something like that happened to my family.

When my oldest started school his teacher told me "We won't believe half of what your child tells us about what happens at home if you promise not to believe half of what he tells you happens in school".

The pictures my kids drew as kids would make it look like we ate cats on plates for supper(once a cat jumped in the middle of my dinner plate), we had snakes in the beds with the kids (one kid had a bad case of pin worms) and my husband drowned in the bath tub (it's hard to draw a picture of a grown man trying to rinse his hair in the tub).

Old 03-02-2012, 08:16 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,918,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I surely hope there is more to this story than this small article. This just seems so extreme. link won't work but basically a 4 year old drew a picture of a man with a gun, teacher called family services and when the man came to pick up his kid he was arrested and strip searched. when they searched his house the only thing they found was a TOY gun. I would have a pluperfect fit if something like that happened to my family.

When my oldest started school his teacher told me "We won't believe half of what your child tells us about what happens at home if you promise not to believe half of what he tells you happens in school".

The pictures my kids drew as kids would make it look like we ate cats on plates for supper(once a cat jumped in the middle of my dinner plate), we had snakes in the beds with the kids (one kid had a bad case of pin worms) and my husband drowned in the bath tub (it's hard to draw a picture of a grown man trying to rinse his hair in the tub).
I wish I could see the link because this seems to be highly irregular. It is not illegal to own a gun so exactly why was he arrested?

Old 03-02-2012, 08:18 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Here is a link to a longer story

Jessie Sansone: Canadian man shocked by arrest after his daughter drew a picture of a gun at school | Mail Online

Perhaps the reason was this part of the article

Quote:
But child welfare officials and school principal, Steve Zack - who offered Mr Sansone a job as a counselor at the school last year - say their actions were completely justified.

Alison Scott, executive director of Family and Children’s Services, told The Record: 'From a public safety point of view, any child drawing a picture of guns and saying there’s guns in a home would warrant some further conversation with the parents and child.'

Inspector Thaler added: 'We had every concern, based on this information, that children were in danger.'

Mr Zack said it was not his choice to involve police, and that staff are required to report incidents that involve the safety of a child to the agency, which is required to report potential crimes to police.

Mr Sansone was convicted of assault and attempted burglary five years ago but says that is behind him.

He does not have a firearms-related charge on record.
The bolded does not mean that he might not have gotten a firearm after the burglary charge from years ago.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:25 AM

I found a link: TheSpec - Man arrested after daughter draws picture of gun

I see that this happened in Canada. Is it illegal to own a gun in Canada?

Old 03-02-2012, 08:25 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
thanks for helping with the link. But still---even in canada don't you think it extreme to call family services based solely on the fact a 4 year old drew a picture of a man with a gun. I would bet 99% of boys who have ever watched TV would draw a picture of a man with a gun. Not saying it is right but kids try to understand what they see and hear thru all sorts of art, role playing, etc.

Just saw this is being discussed in Politics Forum. Not sure if I'm allowed to link but posts over there are interesting.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Here is a link to a longer story

Jessie Sansone: Canadian man shocked by arrest after his daughter drew a picture of a gun at school | Mail Online

Perhaps the reason was this part of the article

The bolded does not mean that he might not have gotten a firearm after the burglary charge from years ago.
But it isn't illegal to own a gun (at least not in the US).

Old 03-02-2012, 08:44 AM

869 posts, read 1,494,878 times
It is illegal to own a gun in Canada. They recently legalized long arms (rifles and the such) but handguns are not legal. This may be standard operating for a situation such as this in Canada. If this happened before the law changed then it is illegal to own the weapons.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I found a link: TheSpec - Man arrested after daughter draws picture of gun

I see that this happened in Canada. Is it illegal to own a gun in Canada?
No, its not illegal at all. However, the gun laws are strict and they are enforced

Gun Control Laws in Canada

Quote:
Handgun registration has been required since 1934, with possession of handguns limited to collectors, target shooters and those who can demonstrate a need of guns to protect their lives.
http://dailycaller.com/2012/02/16/lo...nds-in-canada/

Hand guns are still required to be registered, but long guns will no longer need to be as of 02/16/2012. If you look at where the guns are, many are actually in areas where hunting and farming are prevalent so the guns are used in ways that our ancestors used them rather than for protection from other people.

Guns in Canada: Facts, Figures and Firearm Law

Old 03-02-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
It is illegal to own a gun in Canada. They recently legalized long arms (rifles and the such) but handguns are not legal. This may be standard operating for a situation such as this in Canada. If this happened before the law changed then it is illegal to own the weapons.
No, it is not illegal, but guns especially handguns had to be registered and licensed. See my other post.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:51 AM

869 posts, read 1,494,878 times
Okay not completely illegal but restricted for the common man. Thanks for the more comprehensive information. I also am willing to bet that based on his history, he isnt allowed to own a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting