Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 08:38 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times

Advertisements

I saw something on the news tonight that I found disturbing.

The story featured a company that brings out a German Shepard that will go through your home and your cars if you suspect your child is using drugs and has drugs in the house.

It didn't say what happens if drugs our found. Are the police called?

Or if no drugs are found I would think you have really damaged your relationship with your child.

Seemed very extreme to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 08:55 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
if no drugs were found why would the kid have to ever know? and how is this different than doing your own search. Time and again I have heard parents (on TV) of kids who have OD'd say they wish they had been more proactive with their kids, wish they had not been so concerned with their privacy and searched for drugs.

Obviously anybody who goes to the trouble of hiring a drug sniffing dog has some suspicions. No I don't think it is extreme-not any more extreme than losing a young life either thru death or waste to the ravages of drugs.

Calling the police would be a personal decision the parents would have to make if the dog and handler are civilians. Sometimes getting in trouble with the law can be a wake up call for some- not always but it just might get their attention.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
if no drugs were found why would the kid have to ever know? and how is this different than doing your own search. Time and again I have heard parents (on TV) of kids who have OD'd say they wish they had been more proactive with their kids, wish they had not been so concerned with their privacy and searched for drugs.

Obviously anybody who goes to the trouble of hiring a drug sniffing dog has some suspicions. No I don't think it is extreme-not any more extreme than losing a young life either thru death or waste to the ravages of drugs.

Calling the police would be a personal decision the parents would have to make if the dog and handler are civilians. Sometimes getting in trouble with the law can be a wake up call for some- not always but it just might get their attention.
If a van shows up and a couple of guys get out wearing uniforms with a big German Shepard, chances are someone is going to see it. A neighbor or a friend who may mention it to the teen. "What was going on over at your house, there were two guys with a big dog".

And I think it depends on what state you're in as to whether or not the police are or aren't called. While it wasn't addressed I didn't get the feeling that if drugs were found that this company wouldn't notify the police.

In some states you may lose the right to that decison.

How about some kid getting a police record because a bag of pot was found in the house?

The parents may have suspicions, but I found it extreme.

If they feel that strongly that something is going on then arrange for an intervention.

And watching the dog go through the house reminded me of the Waffen-SS.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:44 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,837,498 times
Who says the dog will be huge. My aunt's brother was a police officer who kept the drug dog at his house. I guess you could say as a pet, but it was a drug dog. And it wasn't overly big or scary, it was the size of a German Shepard that someone would keep as a pet. Drug dogs, in their off hours, are usually kept in police officer homes as far as I know.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:03 AM

22,593 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Or if no drugs are found I would think you have really damaged your relationship with your child.
If circumstances were so bad in the family that you felt it was necessary to call in the dog.... I would think the relationshipsare already damaged.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:05 AM

22,593 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

How about some kid getting a police record because a bag of pot was found in the house?
Well, that's easy.
If you don't want a police record, don't have a bag of pot in the house!

Old 02-29-2012, 07:10 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,045 times
Sounds very extreme to me, too, OP. It is interesting to me that there must be enough demand for this service for it to be a business.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:13 AM

869 posts, read 1,494,878 times
My high school boyfriends dad was a narc officer and his k9 partner lived in their backyard. All the time he would run the dog through the house searching for anything the boys may have brought home. Didnt stop the boys from smoking pot, they just didnt keep them in the house. And it created a level of distrust between father and son and son and father. Not a good idea in my opinion.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:50 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
I agree with you Dave5150......and Pitt Chick...teens don't always make the best decisians sometimes...as a parent I would want to protect them...correct them....NOT send them to jail.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:35 AM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Also, if you are a parent who has trouble finding a source for weed and you suspect your kid has some but don't want your kid to know you smoke, it's a good way to get some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting