Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 07:14 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this has been discussed before. if it has please move it to that post.

Attorney: School's overreaction to pocket knife may destroy teen's future

"An Ohio high school student is fighting to save his dream of serving in the Army after his school found a folding pocket knife in his car and had him jailed. Jordan Wiser, a senior at Ashtabula County Technical School in Jefferson, was charged in December with illegal conveyance of a weapon – a three-inch pocket knife – onto school grounds. In addition to the knife, which he uses in EMT training, authorities also found an Airsoft gun during the search of his vehicle. He told Fox News that when he declined to allow the search and requested to speak to either his attorney or his father, he was told "it wasn't an option."
"The 18-year-old's career dreams are now at risk because of the incident, says the attorney. "He's looking forward to a future of public service ... [but] he spent 13 days in jail and I believe it was a $50,000 bond he was put on – like he was a common criminal," says Whitehead. The teen was released from jail on Christmas Eve following his completion of a psychological evaluation and being fitted with an ankle monitor.[/LEFT]
Read more
[LEFT]http://www.gopusa.com/freshink/2014/04/16/attorney-schools-overreaction-to-pocket-knife-may-destroy-teens-future/?subscriber=1[/LEFT]
[LEFT]And many on here go to great lengths to stand up for all teachers when we have story after story about how many teachers and other school officials have done similar things.[/LEFT]
[LEFT]Don't get me wrong, I am NOT putting fault on ALL teachers and other school officials like some do on here about cops, but, this type of things is happening WAY to OFTEN.[/LEFT][/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 07:23 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,162,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I don't know if this has been discussed before. if it has please move it to that post.

Attorney: School's overreaction to pocket knife may destroy teen's future

"An Ohio high school student is fighting to save his dream of serving in the Army after his school found a folding pocket knife in his car and had him jailed. Jordan Wiser, a senior at Ashtabula County Technical School in Jefferson, was charged in December with illegal conveyance of a weapon – a three-inch pocket knife – onto school grounds. In addition to the knife, which he uses in EMT training, authorities also found an Airsoft gun during the search of his vehicle. He told Fox News that when he declined to allow the search and requested to speak to either his attorney or his father, he was told "it wasn't an option."
"The 18-year-old's career dreams are now at risk because of the incident, says the attorney. "He's looking forward to a future of public service ... [but] he spent 13 days in jail and I believe it was a $50,000 bond he was put on – like he was a common criminal," says Whitehead. The teen was released from jail on Christmas Eve following his completion of a psychological evaluation and being fitted with an ankle monitor.[/LEFT]
Read more
[LEFT]http://www.gopusa.com/freshink/2014/04/16/attorney-schools-overreaction-to-pocket-knife-may-destroy-teens-future/?subscriber=1[/LEFT]
[LEFT]And many on here go to great lengths to stand up for all teachers when we have story after story about how many teachers and other school officials have done similar things.[/LEFT]
[LEFT]Don't get me wrong, I am NOT putting fault on ALL teachers and other school officials like some do on here about cops, but, this type of things is happening WAY to OFTEN.[/LEFT][/LEFT]
You cannot bring a weapon on school property!

Old 04-17-2014, 07:34 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Yea let me tell you how much damage that 3 inch pocket knife will do. As mentioned above, he uses it in EMT training, and all EMTs carry these, you know, the people that come and save your life?

Liberalism at its finest.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:52 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Yea let me tell you how much damage that 3 inch pocket knife will do. As mentioned above, he uses it in EMT training, and all EMTs carry these, you know, the people that come and save your life?

Liberalism at its finest.

Zero tolerance at its finest.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:09 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,112,501 times
Hmmm . . . What prompted the search of the student's car?

Old 04-17-2014, 10:14 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
OMFG a toy gun and a jackknife! The horrors!

School administrators and their policies are idiots. We had a rifle range in the school and it was common for a teacher to ask students for a knife if they wanted one...and I went to school in New York state. Yes, a birth defect, since corrected, but still. Carried a Buck 110 in those days, never thought much about it. Zero tolerance as such is idiotic. Are we going to ban pens and pencils because they can be used to stab someone?

Old 04-17-2014, 10:16 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
OMFG a toy gun and a jackknife! The horrors!

School administrators and their policies are idiots. We had a rifle range in the school and it was common for a teacher to ask students for a knife if they wanted one...and I went to school in New York state. Yes, a birth defect, since corrected, but still. Carried a Buck 110 in those days, never thought much about it. Zero tolerance as such is idiotic. Are we going to ban pens and pencils because they can be used to stab someone?

Please don't give the loons on the far left anymore ideas.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:38 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,449,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
Hmmm . . . What prompted the search of the student's car?
I agree with this. Having said that ... refusal to allow them to search without parental and/or legal consent is an injustice. That car wasn't going anywhere ... there was plenty of time to do it correctly. So regardless of whatever infraction caused the search ... this incident is best described as Gestapo 101.

El Nox

Old 04-17-2014, 10:42 AM

45,231 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Define weapon.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:05 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Define weapon.
Oh you know , a halloween mask since it looks "Scary" according to liberal lala land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies