Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:11 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times

Advertisements

Republicans please explain how spending cuts, tax breaks and increased military spending will fix our deficit?

$16 trillion is a large number... so even by spending cuts alone, it's impossible to fix our deficit. Now add a large tax break for ONLY a small % of our population and increased military/defense spending and now it's far more impossible to fix our deficit.

---
...and please don't say because the 1% of people will now buy trillions of dollars worth of goods and services, which will create jobs. Remember, income tax is different from corporate tax. Do you think people will really say, "Hey! Since my taxes are lower, I'm now going to build a hotel and quit my job or take my money from the stock market even though under Romney I will now pay 0% tax on capital gains." I could understand lowering the corporate tax in order to create more jobs or even offering the middle/poor class a tax break because now instead of 1% having additional money to spend, we have 99% of the population with additional money to spend, which would have a real impact on demand thus creating the need for more employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 10:25 PM

...really? No Romney supporter can answer this question?

Old 09-24-2012, 11:26 PM

88,979 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Now add a large tax break for ONLY a small % of our population...
That's because only a small percent (less than half) actually pay any federal income tax.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:42 PM

510 posts, read 430,588 times
OH MY the deficit numbers are too big!

They're so big that they warp reality itself to the point that logical, traditional solutions to this problem like actually reducing spending become illogical!

The only solution is to implement a 100% tax on the 1%, which when added to the revenue gained by seizing their entire net-worth would fund the Government for about a month.

Oh boy! Problem solved through liberal logic! Thank you Reverend Pelosi!

Old 09-24-2012, 11:50 PM

510 posts, read 430,588 times
Quote:
How about we do it the way we did in the '90s and GROW our way out of the deficit?

I'm not talking about harnessing the power of Obama-funded magical unicorn-farts, but actually introducing incentives for private businesses to grow. We can start by not re-electing the private sector-hostile flaming redistributionist we currently have in the White House.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:57 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,895,580 times
Quote:
You gave them 14 minutes to respond.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:57 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,366,979 times
Quote:
Republicans please explain how spending cuts, tax breaks and increased military spending will fix our deficit?

$16 trillion is a large number... so even by spending cuts alone, it's impossible to fix our deficit. Now add a large tax break for ONLY a small % of our population and increased military/defense spending and now it's far more impossible to fix our deficit.

---
...and please don't say because the 1% of people will now buy trillions of dollars worth of goods and services, which will create jobs. Remember, income tax is different from corporate tax. Do you think people will really say, "Hey! Since my taxes are lower, I'm now going to build a hotel and quit my job or take my money from the stock market even though under Romney I will now pay 0% tax on capital gains." I could understand lowering the corporate tax in order to create more jobs or even offering the middle/poor class a tax break because now instead of 1% having additional money to spend, we have 99% of the population with additional money to spend, which would have a real impact on demand thus creating the need for more employees.

What would motivate you to invest in a a company located in a certain country?

Inexpensive labor?

Sure.

Cheap and reliable energy?

Of course.

Raw materials readily available and affordable?

Absolutely.

Political stability and a business friendly government?

Yep.

So how does the US measure up?

Inexpensive labor?

Not hardly.

OK, somewhat...could be better.

Yeah.

Political stability and business friendly government?

Well, maybe we should ask DCX and GM's secured investors who saw their investments illegally handed over to the UAW.

So with all this against us, why would an international corporation invest in the US when they can accomplish what they want by doing business in China or Mexico and selling their products in the US?

Is there an advantage to employing unionized American workers when the US has free trade agreements with Mexico and China?

With the example of DCX and GM's secured investor's mugging by the administration, why risk hundreds of millions in the US when the administration makes up new rules as they go along?

Old 09-25-2012, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
What would motivate you to invest in a a company located in a certain country?

Inexpensive labor?

Sure.

Of course.

Absolutely.

Political stability and a business friendly government?

Yep.

So how does the US measure up?

Inexpensive labor?

Not hardly.

OK, somewhat...could be better.

Yeah.

Political stability and business friendly government?

Well, maybe we should ask DCX and GM's secured investors who saw their investments illegally handed over to the UAW.

So with all this against us, why would an international corporation invest in the US when they can accomplish what they want by doing business in China or Mexico and selling their products in the US?

Is there an advantage to employing unionized American workers when the US has free trade agreements with Mexico and China?

With the example of DCX and GM's secured investor's mugging by the administration, why risk hundreds of millions in the US when the administration makes up new rules as they go along?
What does this have to do with giving the top bracket in federal income tax another large tax break? Federal Income Taxes are different from Corporate Tax. I even mentioned A Corporate Tax cut could generate more jobs but a tax cut only for the wealthy won't do _____ besides put us further in the red.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:43 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,366,979 times
Quote:
What does this have to do with giving the top bracket in federal income tax another large tax break? Federal Income Taxes are different from Corporate Tax. I even mentioned A Corporate Tax cut could generate more jobs but a tax cut only for the wealthy won't do _____ besides put us further in the red.

I explained the real problem.

You keep asking the wrong questions.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I explained the real problem.

You keep asking the wrong questions.
Your answer to my question is... we need to boost our economy by creating incentives for people to start businesses in the US. I agree that the best way to get out of our deficit is to grow the economy. You made a list of what will motivate people to start businesses in a certain country.

However, you left out the most important factor... DEMAND! Demand is the reason why a person will start a business in an expensive city such as San Francisco or NYC instead of West Virginia. Demand is the number one reason a person will start a business. It doesn't matter if the market meets all the criteria you mentioned if it lacks demand, no person will want to start a business.

This leads us to the next question, how do we create demand and who is responsible for demand? The middle class! So if we want to talk about giving tax breaks to anyone it should be the middle class. If we want to increase demand we should strengthen the middle class. Businesses won't hire employees if there is no demand. That's like someone buying a $3 million dollar house before their business turns a profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies