Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 10:13 PM

32,179 posts, read 15,174,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
"This was the first single from Mellencamp's ninth album, The Lonesome Jubilee. Like many songs on the album, it deals with social inequality and the disparity of wealth in America."

And do you really think he splits the take from his shows equally?

It's been a rough year for the singer, but at least he has his millions of dollars to ease the pain. 62-year-old John Mellencamp has taken the No. 1 spot on People With Money’s top 10 highest-paid singers for 2014 with an estimated $58 million in combined earnings
I have no idea. That's why I asked you about a link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 10:59 PM

532 posts, read 551,807 times
These guys cry and whine way too much.

Should be glad they think enough of them as artists for some bigshot to use their tunes. LOL

Play mine please, the only action I had in 30 years was some putz using my song. LOL

Old 04-17-2014, 11:13 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,827,204 times
Walker could probably find a Ted Nugent song he likes just as well.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:07 AM

29,232 posts, read 22,492,362 times
Quote:
These multi-millionaire crybabies should suck it up and sing.

After all......they preach about the evils of "income inequality", yet pay their roadies and setup crews minimum wage. Not to mention the vendors, ticket takers and ushers who work their shows.

THEY LIVE IN MANSIONS while their employees barely get by.

Hypocrites.
Show me a link to your claim, please.
I know several folks who have different jobs in different artist's touring crews, and I have yet to hear a wage complaint from any of them.

In fact, some are making excellent wages and are on retainers. Those guys are allowed to work for others while their contracted artist is off the road, but must be ready to go with a tour when one starts up.

Stage crews always have members that only last for a short time before moving on to other jobs that require less time away from home. Even the best can tire of the road, so the wages for reliable workers has to be pretty good due to the competition. There are a lot of very specific skills involved.

Much of the grunt work is done by local laborers hired for only one location, but the person who hires them is part of the road crew and works in advance of the show. The venues are often the ones responsible for the ushers and other house staff. How much they pay is not part of the artist's contract.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:07 AM

38,655 posts, read 26,464,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
All Gov Walker is required to do is pay the ASCAP royalty. The artist has no complaint so long as he is getting paid his due royalties.

Melloncamp may not like it, but that's what's know as "tough"

While I'm a big Walker fan, I gotta side with Mellonhead on this one.

I believe Walker should stop playing his music and all radio stations should also stop playing his music.

Hey John!

After you find a lover who won't drive you crazy, see if you can find one that won't make you a aging and irrelevant thin-skinned attention *****.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:39 AM

38,655 posts, read 26,464,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Mellencamp is very political and plays a lot of free and benefit concerts for his causes and fans, and his music is passionately associated with the working man. If he is publicly saying he'd like Walker to stop using the song because he finds Walker's policies offensive, and Walker acts like a dick and says no, it will not reflect well on Walker. Nobody likes a jerk who does not respond graciously. Pretty sure McCain and Reagan both stopped playing the songs when requested by Bruce and Jackson Brown.

Mellencamp to Walker: You're using a union supporter's songs | Post-Crescent Media | postcrescent.com

Easy to be "passionately associated with the working man" when you don't have to actually live like one.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:05 AM

532 posts, read 551,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Easy to be "passionately associated with the working man" when you don't have to actually live like one.
Mellencamp was before his fame. Comes from a whole family of farmers. I can't see how Walker even thinks he relates. It's like everything else, the legit and the wanna-bes.

I do think John should give him a price and be done with it though. He's not doing that, he's throwing a fit.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:32 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,378,234 times
Quote:
"This was the first single from Mellencamp's ninth album, The Lonesome Jubilee. Like many songs on the album, it deals with social inequality and the disparity of wealth in America."

And do you really think he splits the take from his shows equally?
To get the main point out of the way, if an artist had asked me to not use their music I would quit using it.
[MOD CUT/off topic]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-18-2014 at 04:39 PM..

Old 04-18-2014, 06:32 AM

30,222 posts, read 18,796,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Scott Walker Uses John Mellencamp Song for Campaign to Rocker's Dismay

Doesn't the artist have copyright on his songs? Doesn't Scott Walker have to get permission from the copyright owner? I've noticed that Rush Limbaugh/Sean Hannity/pick your conservative spokeshole always air songs from artists that I assumed were "progressive"- ex Chrissie Hynde (Pretenders "Back to Ohio") and others. I realize that some may no longer own the songs like when Michael Jackson bought the Beatles' catalog.
1. John Mellencamp does not own the rights to his song.

2. All Walker has to do is pay the royalty fee.

3. "John Cougar" is a spoiled rich boy from Seymour, IN. His daddy fronted him all the money to get going in music and demaned that he change his name back to "Mellencamp".

4. A liberal opposed to free speech- what a surprise!

Old 04-18-2014, 06:55 AM

78,862 posts, read 46,785,562 times
When you sell your music(make a profit), those that buy it, own it to do as they please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies