Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 05:37 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times

Advertisements

Matthew Genzkow, Univ. of Chicago economist, won a prestigious award for his study of media bias.
Scholar of Media Bias Nabs Prestigious Clark Medal - Real Time Economics - WSJ

This might seem like a strange topic for an economist, but economics is really just about behavior. An older U of C economist named Gary S. Becker (1992 Nobel Laureate and true genius) pioneered this kind of application of economics to everything from racism to education.

Genzkow used 'big data' to try to figure out whether media providers were trying to maximize revenue like any other business (ice cream companies is the example he seems to like) or whether something else was going on to cause media bias. He concluded that indeed, media is profit-driven. At least that was the gist I got from the interview of him I heard.

I think we're going to here much more of this in the coming years. When I studied economics decades ago it struck me that the theory was very well developed but that there was a dearth of data. Observation is critical in the scientific method. 'Big data,' smart phones, and computers are going to revolutionize economics, and perhaps politics in turn. We always hear about the doom&gloom; here is maybe some good news and reason for optimism for a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 05:40 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
I didn't realize that right-wingers and conservatives trusted anyone or anything associated with higher education.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:55 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,984,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I didn't realize that right-wingers and conservatives trusted anyone or anything associated with higher education.
aside from name calling...anything to add?

Old 04-18-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:

Seriously? You missed a whole litany of conservative/right wing academics from Friedman to Becker to Sowell; historians like Paul Johnson, and many others. Academia is not yet a monoculture, although many are trying to make it so.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:16 PM
Zot

468 posts, read 681,689 times
Quote:
I can easily remediate your incorrect belief. Here - | The webpage of the Harvard Conservatives Lunch Club and friends

Old 04-18-2014, 07:36 PM

459 posts, read 485,074 times
Actually, his research doesn't confirm a "left" or "right" wing bias per se. What it shows is that media companies shape the news content to meet their audience. I find this sad and disturbing, since it makes facts subservient to opinion, makes neutral analysis (not false equivalency, mind you) subservient to punditry.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:39 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Of course the reason is that there is plenty of good money to be made in spoon feeding our more conservative masses.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:42 PM

947 posts, read 1,464,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Seriously? You missed a whole litany of conservative/right wing academics from Friedman to Becker to Sowell; historians like Paul Johnson, and many others. Academia is not yet a monoculture, although many are trying to make it so.
Guess you missed the constant bitching and complaining about how academia is hostile to conservatives and that there is no way a conservative can get hired by a university.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
Guess you missed the constant bitching and complaining about how academia is hostile to conservatives and that there is no way a conservative can get hired by a university.
I didn't. Academia is generally hostile to conservatism; I don't think any sane person would deny that. AUM intimated that conservatism is hostile to academia, and that is clearly not the case. See the difference?

Old 04-19-2014, 08:45 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Matthew Genzkow, Univ. of Chicago economist, won a prestigious award for his study of media bias.
Scholar of Media Bias Nabs Prestigious Clark Medal - Real Time Economics - WSJ

This might seem like a strange topic for an economist, but economics is really just about behavior. An older U of C economist named Gary S. Becker (1992 Nobel Laureate and true genius) pioneered this kind of application of economics to everything from racism to education.

Genzkow used 'big data' to try to figure out whether media providers were trying to maximize revenue like any other business (ice cream companies is the example he seems to like) or whether something else was going on to cause media bias. He concluded that indeed, media is profit-driven. At least that was the gist I got from the interview of him I heard.

I think we're going to here much more of this in the coming years. When I studied economics decades ago it struck me that the theory was very well developed but that there was a dearth of data. Observation is critical in the scientific method. 'Big data,' smart phones, and computers are going to revolutionize economics, and perhaps politics in turn. We always hear about the doom&gloom; here is maybe some good news and reason for optimism for a change.
Fascinating. Now, where are the usual C-D suspects who continually whine about "media bias" no matter how often we lefties try to point out the incredibly obvious that they're really just, you know, profit-driven, like any good capitalist company.

I've never understood how those who worship corporations could overlook this simple truth when it comes to this particular set of corporations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies