Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 10:54 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,963,035 times

Advertisements

It bears worth repeating that we are supposed to practice Indirect Democracy in this country through Democratically Elected Representatives to represent “We the People” of this country, in accordance with the Constitution.

This is Just to hammer home the point to those that state we are a Republic.
We are no more a pure Republic than we are a pure Democracy.
The Republic of China 1912-1949 did not have democratically elected Representatives for example.

A better term coined by Jonathan Locke from 1632-1704 is a Constitutional Democratic Republic.

What Is a Constitutional Democratic Republic Government?
Quote:
A constitutional democratic republic government is a state where the office holders are required to govern in accordance with the constitution. These office holders are usually given their mandate through a ballot that is held regularly.

The paper in question is to be published in the peer reviewed academic journal, Perspectives on Politics from Princeton.

https://www.commondreams.org/view/2014/04/14

Quote:
A study, to appear in the Fall 2014 issue of the academic journal Perspectives on Politics, finds that the U.S. is no democracy, but instead an oligarchy, meaning profoundly corrupt, so that the answer to the study’s opening question, "Who governs? Who really rules?" in this country, is:

"Despite the seemingly strong empirical support in previous studies for theories of majoritarian democracy, our analyses suggest that majorities of the American public actually have little influence over the policies our government adopts.

Americans do enjoy many features central to democratic governance, such as regular elections, freedom of speech and association, and a widespread (if still contested) franchise. But, ..." and then they go on to say, it's not true, and that, "America's claims to being a democratic society are seriously threatened" by the findings in this, the first-ever comprehensive scientific study of the subject, which shows that there is instead "the nearly total failure of 'median voter' and other Majoritarian Electoral Democracy theories [of America].

When the preferences of economic elites and the stands of organized interest groups are controlled for, the preferences of the average American appear to have only a minuscule, near-zero, statistically non-significant impact upon public policy."
Quote:
What the authors are able to find, despite the deficiencies of the data, is important: the first-ever scientific analysis of whether the U.S. is a democracy, or is instead an oligarchy, or some combination of the two.

The clear finding is that the U.S. is an oligarchy, no democratic country, at all. American democracy is a sham, no matter how much it's pumped by the oligarchs who run the country (and who control the nation's "news" media). The U.S., in other words, is basically similar to Russia or most other dubious "electoral" "democratic" countries. We weren't formerly, but we clearly are now.
Today, after this exhaustive analysis of the data, “the preferences of the average American appear to have only a minuscule, near-zero, statistically non-significant impact upon public policy.” That's it, in a nutshell.

Just think, we escaped from Monarch England to get away from the heavy handed elite only to have the same situation happen again.

I think an excellent and recent example of how policy is drawn up for the wealthy elite is Obamacare

Obamacare was touted as something for the poor and lower class via propaganda but looking at who is at the top of the list when it comes to lobbyists show the reality of the situation. In a time when the common mans wages are stagnating and the price of everything keeps rising thanks to money printing to bail out the banksters, Big Pharma and Insurance do not want to take a paycut and want everyone to pitch in to bail them out as well..for eternity. The cost of healthcare is not even on the radar of the elite, but just who is going to pay for it.

Lobbying Spending Database | OpenSecrets

Pharmaceuticals/Health Products $2,795,596,315
Insurance $1,964,085,236

Electric Utilities $1,836,267,571
Business Associations $1,599,841,724
Computers/Internet $1,539,193,215
Oil & Gas $1,520,091,017
Misc Manufacturing & Distributing $1,279,589,508
Education $1,278,209,819
TV/Movies/Music $1,198,351,376
Hospitals/Nursing Homes $1,185,577,186
Securities & Investment $1,117,167,652
Civil Servants/Public Officials $1,107,964,625
Real Estate $1,085,527,543
Health Professionals $1,062,105,067
Air Transport $999,244,120
Misc Issues $848,711,383
Automotive $806,876,749
Telephone Utilities $781,182,298
Telecom Services & Equipment $772,337,196
Health Services/HMOs $738,746,421

Some questions come to mind for the defenders of our Oligarchy

How do those that support the constitution wherein we are supposed to be a representative republic for all people of this country reconcile the ability of corporations and banks to infringe on others rights to be heard when money= freedom of speech?

Why do some people think that those in the pursuit of wealth and power no matter the cost make good candidates for government positions, by giving them access to other people’s money?

http://i.imgur.com/NK7DDMc.png
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 10:59 AM

924 posts, read 667,609 times
Thanks for posting

And before the inevitable ****storm, THIS IS A NONPARTISAN ISSUE.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:05 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,056,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic Magnet View Post
THIS IS A NONPARTISAN ISSUE.
It SHOULD be. But unfortunately, many deny and deflect when it's "their guy" or their party in power.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:10 AM

I don't think certain key individuals will voice in because either they are paid shills or thrive on divide and conquer.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:22 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,489,674 times
Oh but liberals don't have a problem when it's their guys in control.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
Oh but liberals don't have a problem when it's their guys in control.
Based on the study, your every day common liberal or for that matter conservative have little say in what goes on in DC.

The politicians in DC and their cronies are the party of money and could care less about Partisan Politics but it makes for good propaganda via Team Rah Rah Rah tactics to throw to the pleebs.

When the Big Industry Leaders and Banks donate to both parties, it tells me they know it is all a sham as well.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:49 AM

One thing that really sticks out in this finding, though many knew it already, is that the majority of American's are being taxed without Representation in DC.

I recall something about a Revolution and no Taxation without Representation....

Old 04-19-2014, 11:52 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
I've thought that we've been an oligarchy for at least 35 years if not longer.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:58 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
I think it is ironic, a pure democracy is one where everyone has a right to an opinion... what happens when the democracy creates a majority rule where the rights of the minority is trampled upon? A tyranny by majority? I love democracy but at the same time, I abhor anyone trampling the rights of others... for instance, it is not right or just to steal from my neighbor who makes more than I simply because there is more of me... so the balance between the tyranny by majority or a tyranny from oligarchs? Is there any difference? Let me know when anyone has good to say other than "Waah! Me!"....

Old 04-19-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I think it is ironic, a pure democracy is one where everyone has a right to an opinion... what happens when the democracy creates a majority rule where the rights of the minority is trampled upon? A tyranny by majority? I love democracy but at the same time, I abhor anyone trampling the rights of others... for instance, it is not right or just to steal from my neighbor who makes more than I simply because there is more of me... so the balance between the tyranny by majority or a tyranny from oligarchs? Is there any difference? Let me know when anyone has good to say other than "Waah! Me!"....
Democracies tend towards Oligarchies.

Here is a good video that explains it a bit better.

Quote:
There are 5 basic forms of government which are Monarchy(Rule by one person), Oligarchy(Rule by a small handful of people), Democracy(Rule by majority of the citizens), Republic(Rule by law), and Anarchy(No Government). This video relates these basic forms of government to our American government to clarify that we are in fact not a democracy but rather a Republic since democracies lead to anarchy and ultimately the tyranny of oligarchy.

So in a since, there are only two forms of Government.
Oligarchy and Republic

The Five Basic Forms Of Government Explained - YouTube

But not a pure Republic either but a Constitutional Democratic Republic since we elect representatives.
Since money=freedom of speech, it has corrupted the constitution and trampled on the voices of others in the interest of the elite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies