Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 11:02 AM

114 posts, read 120,397 times

Advertisements

On This Date in Bush History 12/27: Forced to Protect Polar Bears

2004: Today's Time Magazine named President Bush ‘person of the year’. First awarded to Charles Lindbergh, other ‘person of the year’ winners include most modern presidents as well as Adolph Hitler. The magazine stated "for gambling his fortunes and ours on his faith in the power of leadership, George W. Bush is TIME’s 2004 Person of the Year". The results of that gamble have become very clear.

"One has a stronger hand when there's more people playing your same cards. It is must easier for a nation" President Bush, October 11th 2006

2006: The Interior Department proposes protection of polar bears today, saying melting Arctic ice is a threat to their livelihood. Still, Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne would not take a position as to why the ice was melting. The words ‘global warming’ appear to be too difficult a phrase for some Bush officials to get out of their mouths. Lawyer Kassie Siegel says in the NY Times, "I don't see how even this administration can write this proposal without acknowledging that the primary threat to polar bears is global warming".

Today's Interior Dept. designation likely has less to do with helping polar bears and more to do with a lawsuit filed by environmental groups seeking polar bear protection. A court had ordered that the department respond by today. An international body, the International Conservation Union, declared polar bears as threatened back in May 2006.

By 2007 Ted Scambos of Colorado’s National Snow & Ice Center reported that the melting of the Arctic ice cap was occurring much faster than predicted. He said satellite data showed melting was about 30 years further along than predictions by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Arctic ice slows warming by reflecting sun to space, so this melting only further increases the rate of future warming.

Excerpted from the 2008 Bush Calendar about to become extinct! In the name of all that is holy, help save this calendar!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 11:11 AM

Default On This Date in Bush History 12/28: A Striking Difference!

On This Date in Bush History 12/27: A Striking Difference!

"We understand where the power of this country lay. ... It must lay in our pocketbooks." President Bush, April 11th 2001

"If you know how to spend less than you get, you have the Philosophers Stone." Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanac, 1736

2000:Today President Clinton announces that the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) projects that the US is on course to eliminate its public debt within the next decade and to pay down $237 billion in debt in 2001 alone, bringing the four-year debt reduction to $600 billion; the largest four-year debt pay-down in history. Over the previous three years, $363 billion in debt has been paid down.

With a strong economy and a commitment to fiscal discipline, federal finances have improved for an unprecedented nine consecutive years. If the country were to dedicate the entire budget surplus to debt reduction, it is projected that the U.S. could eliminate publicly held debt by fiscal year 2009. A deficit of $290 billion in fiscal year 1992 is now projected to be a surplus of $256 billion in fiscal year 2001. Record deficits have become record surpluses.

With the election of President Bush, this stunning progress came to a dramatic halt. The goal of an America free of debt, thought to be obtainable by 2010, soon seemed more out of reach than ever, due to President Bush’s selfishly combining significant tax cuts for the wealthy with huge spending increases. Such actions can make one more popular while in office, but the debt and the associated interest owed on that debt is passed on to future generations. Bush's 'gift' to the nation's kids is out-of-control spending combined with out-of-control borrowing; a potentially crippling combination. The right thing is to step up and pay one's own bills, instead of passing them on to our kids. Buying popularity by foisting billions of dollars of debt onto the backs of future generations is wrong. Both Republicans and Democrats should be able to agree on that.

"I think we agree, the past is over." Candidate George W. Bush, May 2000

Excerpted from the 2008 Bush Calendar so buried in Bush red ink that its title can no longer be read!

Old 12-29-2007, 11:38 AM

Default This Date in Bush History 12/29: The Decency Dividend

On This Date in Bush History 12/29: The Decency Dividend

"Tart Words make no Friends: a spoonful of honey will catch more flies than Gallon of Vinegar" Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard’s Almanac, 1744

2004: President Bush discusses US support for the hundreds of thousands of victims of the Asian tsunami today. "This morning, I ... expressed my condolences and our country's condolences. I told them of our support". Mr. Bush would give almost $1 billion for victims of the Indian Ocean tsunami. Additionally, 16,000 US military assisted in the region including 26 US ships, 58 helicopters, and 43 aircraft. Over ten million pounds of food and supplies and over 400,000 gallons of fresh water were contributed.

The effort paid a surprising dividend. In a world that has recently come to hold a low opinion of America, a 2005 global opinion survey found one Muslim country where the opinion of America had actually improved. That country was Indonesia, 88% Muslim, and a recipient of much of the tsunami aid. Likewise, the 2007 version of this survey revealed that the U.S. got some of its highest approval ratings from African nations, reflecting the generous help that the Bush administration has given to fighting AIDS there.

The surveys reveal the dividends that can come when money is spent on things like food and water instead of dropping bombs. While the hundreds of billions spent on military operations in Iraq served, by almost all accounts, to increase dislike of America in the Arab world and add to the numbers of anti-America terrorists, the spending of less than $1 billion in Indonesia made us friends instead of enemies. If Iraq and 9/11 have taught us one thing, it is that, for all of our military might, it can be very difficult to detect and stop suicide bombers, determined airplane hijackers, and those hiding bombs in roads. Every individual that is turned against America is a potential terrorist than can sneak through our defenses. Every individual who comes to see us as a caring and good people is one less person susceptible to being recruited by the enemy.

Consider the dividends if a portion of those hundreds of billions spent fighting Saddam were instead spent showing the world that we are not, in our hearts, a country that desires to create the misery and destruction that was created in Iraq. Guns and bombs might seem the obvious tools to use in a fight, but they are not always the best way to defeat an enemy, or gain allies, in the age of terrorism.

Excerpted from the FAREWELL TOUR of the 2008 Bush Calendar whose name shalt not be mentioned here! (These posts end TUESDAY)

Old 12-30-2007, 12:52 PM

On This Date in Bush History 12/30: Ignoring Ben's Example

"I hope, therefore, that some of my descendants may follow the example and reap the benefit. In this piece it was my design to have endeavored to convince young persons that no qualities were so likely to make a poor man's fortune as those of probity and integrity." Benjamin Franklin, 1741

2003: United States Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois, Patrick Fitzgerald, is appointed as Special Counsel to investigate the betrayal of the identity of a CIA employee, reportedly by senior officials within the Bush administration. Valerie Plame's employment at the CIA was leaked to the press.

2005: Congress had earlier passed a law providing that scientific information "prepared by government researchers and scientists shall be transmitted [to Congress] uncensored and without delay". Perhaps thinking that he was a King instead of a president, President Bush signs a statement on this date indicating that he could withhold such information for a variety of reasons. For example, the information might be withheld if the disclosure to Congress would interfere with the workings of the administration (from the Boston Globe, as reported by Charlie Savage).

"The greatest monarch on the proudest throne, is oblig'd to sit upon his own arse." Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanac, 1737

Excerpted from the FAREWELL TOUR of the 2008 Bush Calendar inspired by the wisdom of Ben Franklin! (These posts end TUESDAY)

Old 12-31-2007, 10:35 AM

Default This Date in Bush History 12/31: Cheeseburger Resolutions

On This Date in Bush History 12/31: Cheeseburger Resolutions

"But all in all, it's been a fabulous year for Laura and me." President Bush, speaking December 20th 2001, a little over three months after 9/11

2002: "Happy New Year to everybody. Laura and I wish all our fellow Americans a prosperous and peaceful and a happy new year", says President Bush from his ranch in Crawford, Texas. A reporter asks: "with a possible war with Iraq looming ... is the world safer as we look ahead to 2003?" The President answers: "this government will continue [to] lead the world toward more peace ... You said were headed to war in Iraq - I don't know why you say that .. I'm the person who gets to decide, not you". You sure told him Mr. President!

President Bush fields another question: "Did you keep last year's resolution to eat less cheeseburgers?" The president answers: "A matter of fact, it's an interesting question ... And the answer is, yes, to the extent that I’m now comfortable in having a cheeseburger today".

"I know something about being a government. And you've got a good one." President Bush, Nov. 4th 2002

2006: The number of U.S. forces killed in Iraq reached 3,000 today when the death of a soldier from Texas is announced.

"when I campaigned here in 2000, I said, I want to be a war President. No President wants to be a war President, but I am one." President Bush, Oct. 26th 2006

"Reader farewel, all Happiness attend thee; May each New-Year, better and richer find thee." Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard’s Almanac, 1749

Excerpted from the FAREWELL TOUR of the 2008 Bush Calendar whose name will soon be lost to history (After tomorrow Bush History is History!)

Old 12-31-2007, 10:39 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Thumbs down Chickenhawks as commander-guys...

"I think war is a dangerous place." President Bush, May 7th 2003

Of course, he wouldn't know, would he?

Old 12-31-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
"I think war is a dangerous place." President Bush, May 7th 2003

Of course, he wouldn't know, would he?
And Cheney wouldn't be able to help him with that either.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:36 PM

Default On This Date in Bush History 01/01: Poor George

On This Date in Bush History 01/01: Poor George

"Each year one vicious habit rooted out, in time might make the worst man good throughout." Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanac, 1738

2003: On this date, Ron Suskind writes in Esquire Magazine that the first President Bush fired assistant Karl Rove for leaking information. Contrast this action, the firing of Karl Rove for a breach of integrity, with the inaction of the current President Bush who continued Karl Rove's White House employment after Rove had leaked the identity of a CIA operative to the press.

"'Tis a Shame that your Family is an Honour to you! You ought to be an Honour to your Family." Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanac, 1750

2006: "Happy New Year to you all. Thanks. I can't think of a better way to start 2006 then here at this fantastic hospital" says President Bush. The president is visiting wounded troops today at San Antonio's Amputee Care Center of Brooke Army Medical Center. President Bush added, "As you can possibly see, I have an injury myself - not here at the hospital, but in combat with a cedar. I eventually won. The cedar gave me a little scratch". Poor George.

"I do think we need for a troop to be able to house his family. That's an important part of building morale in the military." President Bush, March 12th 2001

As promised, with the arrival of the New Year, these Bush History posts are now history (though they will continue on Facebook via the free 'Poor George' application MOD CUT). To those who responded, or were faithful readers, thanks, and Happy New Year to all!

"Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man." (or woman) Benjamin Franklin

BlueButGlad

Last edited by NewToCA; 01-01-2008 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: and this comes to an end, without the link...

Old 01-01-2008, 01:07 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueButGlad View Post
And Cheney wouldn't be able to help him with that either.
Are you calling Cheney a chicken?

Old 01-01-2008, 02:06 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Are you calling Cheney a chicken?
Then you must have been real upset with Clinton being a certified draft dodger!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies