Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 06:29 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,607,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post
Even returning home AFTER college?! I read marriage is a factor, but, you don't have to be married to move out of your parents house! Not all parents even LET their kids stay at home, some get kicked out when they turn 18. What's with all this staying with mommy and daddy even though I'm an adult crap?! I can understand if its financial, but still by age 21 you should DEFINITELY at least be working on moving out. Life is better on your own so your parents aren't in your business and its more attractive to live on your own.

I may even rather get a little help from the government to live on my own then to stay at home. I mean things ARE expensive especially when you're younger cause you make less, so that's a valid reason for getting a little assistance, IF you REALLY need it. As in you literally can't afford it.

Staying at home is going to make it take longer to grow up. You don't have to wait to be married to move out. It could even be more attractive to already be independent. Also don't you want privacy? Yeah I know everyone wants privacy.
The Next America | Pew Research Center

"And nowadays more than 50 million, a record, are living in multi-generational family households, their fortunes braided together, because that turns out to be a good way to make ends meet in hard times." (my bold for emphasis)

And that is it in a nutshell.

To quote one of my family members who now lives with her daughter (& family) in a very nice and elegant home, 'we don't want to loose every thing we worked hard in our lives to obtain."

What was once, 'omg you still live with your mommy', tabu...not any more. Our horrible economy is bringing families together and teaching them how to share, expenses.

"Good night John Boy." "Good night Mary-Ellen". What one would hear if they watched the show called, "The Wallton's", depicting the era of the Great Depression where families lived together even after marriage, is becoming vast the norm, during our Great Recession.

Privacy? omg---NSA There's no such thing as privacy any more. Even as I type this, some one some where may be tracking it, if they desire to do so.

Did you know that even if you have a stand alone computer that is not linked to an Internet, it can still be tracked by chips placed on the motherboard, by companies picked by NSA to install a tracking chip.

And we thought all we had to worry about was another family member listening in on a private conversation in a home with walls that were paper thin.

Next time you walk outside and look up at the sky in admiration, smile pretty for the satellite camera.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
It sounds like you know the answer then. I've never heard of anybody living with their parents that had the financial means to not do so.
I know a parent living with their child, because they have a certain lifestyle they are accustomed to that they are not giving that up because of some little thing called a 'recession'. And yes, the parent could indeed live on their own. They might have to give up that nice car; that nice 3 million dollar estate home; the investment package might have to be cashed in and no more vacations to Florida and Mexico... give up all that....No---they all just made an adjustment in living arrangements. That's all. Not to mention the college all three grand children are enrolled in a long with medical expenses...that have to be paid---if they all struck out to live on their own, Wow, on a split income that would be a house of cards.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I know you aren't insinuating that a college degree is waste of money...
In order to answer that one needs to find out if experience in a job is worth more to companies these days than an education in the field of opportunity they have listed for an opening. Many times, experience speaks louder than a diploma.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
The degree in basket weaving will sure as heck get you a good paying gig!
Market the Baskets over the Internet, ca-ching.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I know right? I'll have to ask the MBA cleaning my yard what she thinks on the subject....
I knew one who cleaned houses and no, I am not joking. She was looking for a less stressful way of making a living, rather than the job she had teaching at a University. The University politics stressed her out.

It's all in the stigma. When a person sees a janitor the first thing that comes to mind is, poor person couldn't get an education. The idea that one has an education but yet would prefer a job as a janitor, doesn't even enter into the reasons of why that would be.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You seem pretty ignorant on how multi generational households work. I know the concept is foreign to you. By the way, in Europe, it is not unusual for adult kids to live with their parent s, especially in countries like the UK which have really unaffordable housing
It just takes a little longer for Americans to catch on.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They voted for anti-business Obama.

Don't think they don't know that. From talking to my nieces, nephews, and their friends, they're well-aware of the fact that their post-grad employment statistics have hit the skids under Obama policies.

How does that Who song go again?... "We won't get fooled, again! ...No, no, no!"
If you think it will be any better the next go around, you may want to finish out reading the lyrics of that song.

We are on our own people. That that comes up out of Washington, can't help us, not one bit, not that they ever did.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:08 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,397,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
It just takes a little longer for Americans to catch on.
Americans will ALWAYS do the right thing......after we've tried everything else.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:10 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,145,812 times
What has happened in our economy is there are now an influx of people with degrees so now there is high student loan debt for each graduate, poor economy and poor wages. Depending on the location in the United States, a BA degree may be able to fetch you $10-$12 per hour. This is not a livable wage. So what many opt to do is to return back home because they simply cannot make it.

I am not a fan of living at home and even when it got tough for me, I did everything in my power to maintain my own living expenses. I have graduate education and for a while I was mopping floors and working low paying jobs to get by. But for the students that do not need to do this, and can go home until they get back on their feet I can understand. But if they have the means to live on their own, and simply got comfortable living with mom and dad, that's just bad.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Because their parents, their schools and the government have been telling them how to think and what to do since they were born so living with mommy and daddy well into their 20s is no big deal to them. The government calls them children until they are 26 now. I'm surprised they don't have to sit in a car seat and wear a helmet until they are 26.

Some are spoiled. It's cushier to live with mommy and daddy than get an apartment and roommates to share rent and pay utilities and God forbid, take a job you think is beneath you because you have bills to pay.

The Democrats like to keep them as children. It's why Obama goes to colleges all the time to campaign. As long as they are not paying rent or a mortgage, taxes, utilities and putting food on the table for a family, they aren't making the economy a priority on election day because they aren't part of it yet.
Obama went to the colleges to campaign because he was following Ron Paul's lead. Ron Paul's positive reactions to ending the fed, needed some counter action by some one. Plus, there are votes if one is a successful motivator.

There is an assumption being made here that children that live with their parents are doing so, so as, to obtain a free ride. Not all children are jerks to their parents.

Soon stigmas will fade away as the benefits to living full lives makes head way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies