Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 03:39 PM

7,816 posts, read 6,402,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Do you think that Latinas know and understand everything in their infinite wisdom?

Since you like a diverse Supreme Court, what do you think of the only black person on the bench?

Would you prefer a white male who decides cases differently?
Well, if you added another black justice, they would be over-represented on the court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 03:47 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,040,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Well, if you added another black justice, they would be over-represented on the court.
Approximately 13% of the U.S. population is black.

13% of 9 is 1.17.

Can we find 17/100 of a black justice to make things equal?

Of course if the 2nd black justice decided cases like Justice Thomas, the left would cry foul and demand that a white male liberal take her place.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:49 PM

7,816 posts, read 6,402,815 times
Quote:
Approximately 13% of the U.S. population is black.

13% of 9 is 1.17.

Can we find 17/100 of a black justice to make things equal?

Of course if the 2nd black justice decided cases like Justice Thomas, the left would cry foul and demand that a white male take her place.
Just saying it's closer the way it is now.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:52 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,998,413 times
Actually most of the members of the Supreme Court are the products of Affirmative Action of one sort or the other. Up until the 20th Century, Jews, Italians and Irish could not get into the elite law schools let alone be considered for the Federal Bench. So Alito, Scalia, Kennedy, Ginzburg, Kagan, and Brennen wouldn't have been on this Court a hundred years ago. Another product of Affrimative action is Justice Thomas who might not even had got into college if the South Carolina of his youth existed today. Thomas would have learned what his place was in American Southern society and accepted it. So Sonia Sotomayor is not alone in having benefited from our leveling of the Legal playing field.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:53 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,249,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Justice Sonia Sotomayor proves herself not so wise | New York Post

THis is what you get, an inept product. Sad...
Proves the theory diversity over intelligence.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:00 PM

63,019 posts, read 29,223,046 times
Quote:
Harrier thinks no such thing.

His issue was with Justice Sotomayor's pointed remarks that Latinas were superior to white males.

That was a racist comment and you know it.

Can you imagine the uproar if a white male judge had said that he could make a better decision than a Latina?
You're right. I have no problem with a diverse SC or anything else but when remarks are made like this to imply they are superior due to their ethnic background and others are inferior that's not an appropriate remark to make from a public official.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:10 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,029,700 times
Quote:

Since you like a diverse Supreme Court, what do you think of the only black person on the bench?
I think he is very strange
And his wife is crazy

Does anyone know why Thomas never speaks out loud from the bench anymore? It's been
six years. Is he pissed off or what?

Old 04-26-2014, 04:13 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,040,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Does anyone know why Thomas never speaks out loud from the bench anymore? It's been
six years. Is he pissed off or what?
When Harrier visits D.C., he is going to attend oral arguments hoping to be there the moment that Justice Thomas actually says something.

His written opinions and dissents are works of art.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Another product of Affrimative action is Justice Thomas who might not even had got into college if the South Carolina of his youth existed today. Thomas would have learned what his place was in American Southern society and accepted it. So Sonia Sotomayor is not alone in having benefited from our leveling of the Legal playing field.
I don't know if he would necessarily agree with you.

Even though he doesn't talk from the bench anymore, he did have this to say recently while speaking
in FL in Feb 2014:

My sadness is that we are probably today more race and difference-conscious than I was in the 1960s when I went to school. To my knowledge, I was the first Black kid in Savannah, Georgia, to go to a White school. Rarely did the issue of race come up,' Thomas said during a chapel service hosted by the nondenominational Christian university.

Now, name a day it doesn’t come up. Differences in race, differences in sex, somebody doesn’t look at you right, somebody says something. Everybody is sensitive. If I had been as sensitive as that in the 1960s, I’d still be in Savannah. Every person in this room has endured a slight. Every person. Somebody has said something that has hurt their feelings or did something to them — left them out.'

The worst I have been treated was by northern liberal elites. The absolute worst I have ever been treated," he said. "The worst things that have been done to me, the worst things that have been said about me, by northern liberal elites, not by the people of Savannah, Georgia."

Clarence Thomas, race: Supreme Court justice says Americans are too sensitive about race, and more from the Slatest PM.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
When Harrier visits D.C., he is going to attend oral arguments hoping to be there the moment that Justice Thomas actually says something.

His written opinions and dissents are works of art.
How exciting! I really mean it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies