Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 09:47 AM
509 509 started this thread

6,321 posts, read 7,050,894 times

Advertisements

Well, the scientific evidence is in on climate change in California and it is not pretty. Scientist have been looking at climate in the west and the evidence is overwhelming that the last 100 years in California have been abnormally wet and benign.

Did you know that there is a lodgepole pine forest 70 feet underwater at Tenaya Lake. The drought of 1000AD dropped the level of the natural lake.....more than 70 feet and grew a lodgepole pine forest that was later flooded: Yosemite Association - Nature Notes - Great Drought 1

But wait, there's more when the droughts end they end with mega-floods. Like the entire central valley being flooded!!

There is a chance this page link is broken.....but it is a wonderful article.

California Megaflood: Lessons from a Forgotten Catastrophe - Scientific American

Here is the USGS overview of a similar event in todays world......I would hate to be on a Incident team dealing with this flooding!! Be sure to click on the full report.

Overview of the ARkStorm Scenario

The book that every Californian should read is this one: The West without Water - B. Lynn Ingram, Frances Malamud-Roam - Hardcover - University of California Press

As you read the book you will notice that climate change hit the entire west. However, the rest of the west is in much better shape to deal with climate change than California. With 38 million plus people a west-wide event will mean that there will be limited help available to California.

So are Californian's feeling lucky?? The dice rolls over the past 100 years have been coming up 7-11!! Is the current drought the start of snake eyes??

Getting back to the original question....is the population of California sustainable?? I see Feinstein and Boxer are throwing the wildlife refuges and salmon population under the bus to protect agriculture.

From the historical record it seems that even thrashing its wildlands the current population of California is not sustainable given the natural resources in the state.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:54 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
I've been pointing this overpopulation issue out since about the 80's..
But then I've been pointing it out about the entire planet as well.
I have read some scientists' pov that earth really only should have to tolerate less than 1 billion of us little parasites.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:02 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,825,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I see Feinstein and Boxer are throwing the wildlife refuges and salmon population under the bus to protect agriculture.
Well let's be honest. They have to. The libs are directly responsible for allowing (and even incentivizing) illegal immigration which has made them extremely popular with the latino population in California, hence these Libs are re-elected over, and over, and over again. It's also directly caused California's population to explode since the 80s (Boxer entered office in the 80s). From 1983 to 2013, California had the fastest 20 year growth rate in recorded history. Basically it comes down to, you can't invite all these people in, and not have dinner on the table setup. That would be rude, and Libs would never be rude. Traffic guns, steal from public funds, and commit mass murder, but never rude!

Old 05-29-2014, 10:08 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
Oh geezuz. Here she goes again. Even the weather is a lib conspiracy! As if the population of California wouldn't naturally maximize based on its desirability regardless

Old 05-29-2014, 10:17 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
These threads are exceptionally entertaining. What happened to Nully?

Old 05-29-2014, 10:21 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,825,142 times
Hey Tuley, here's something to chew on for a while.

California's Current Population: About 39 million.
Amount of undocumented immigrants in CA: 12 million (about 1/3 of the total state population).

Old 05-29-2014, 10:36 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,380,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Yeah, what did happen to nullgeo? I've been wondering that for awhile too. I hope he's ok. Do you think null and tulemutt are one and the same? They both like to use that "boy howdy" term. They have similar lifestyles. Whatever, they both keep the forum rowdy and fun.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:37 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,553,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
His last post was in October of last year.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:43 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,553,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Oh geezuz. Here she goes again. Even the weather is a lib conspiracy! As if the population of California wouldn't naturally maximize based on its desirability regardless
Now now, he didn't say the weather was a lib conspiracy. He was merely pointing out the hypocrisy of politicians and how at the end of the day the only value system they really have is getting and remaining elected. I'll add the obligatory "both sides do it" for fairness.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:53 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,218,125 times
I don't have much to contribute other than when I read the original post a dramatic song fortuitously happened upon my Pandora and it made the post seem incredibly foreboding and apolalyptic. Just as I was grabbing the popcorn, I read the last part where you had to throw in the political reference. Yawn. Totally ruined the mood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies