Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 03:55 PM

351 posts, read 500,078 times

Advertisements

Many blacks say: WELL, your race didn't face slavery, did you?
Well you have to realize that was generations ago...should people be held responsible for things their great-great-grandparents did?

Old 04-27-2014, 04:01 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty All View Post
Just curious, because not EVERYTHING is about race.
If I hypothetically insult you and say your dumb, am I saying it because of your race OR because you can't do a task? You just happen to be black, but that is irrespective of my statement
This nonsense doesn't even make sense.

How about just avoiding insulting people by calling them dumb just because they might have difficulty with a task. You might just say that to the wrong person one day.

Yeah I know...it was just "hypothetical."

Old 04-27-2014, 04:05 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I stand corrected. One white person refers to other white people as well spoken.
I have heard it by others as well. Hell my grand father used to compliment people on how they presented themselves and their command of language. A scathing rebuke for example was "it's a small man that needs to resort to vulgarity to make his point."
He complimented a Navy friend of mine by saying "Your friend is a well spoken young man."
My grandfather detested the use of slang or swear words, worse still if someone mispronounced words or letters. For example calling the letter H hatche. (Spelling)? The number 3 as tree.
Maybe you just don't hear it unless you perceive it as an insult?

Old 04-27-2014, 04:12 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
I think racism in their many many forms perhaps are not going anywhere any time soon. Race will continue to matter. A lot. No matter how much folks want to wish it away.

I think people from all racial backgrounds probably play race cards too much because "race" is still a very sensitive subject and it is a selling point on social media.

By the way, smart people don't really think others are stupid. They are smart because they are teachable.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:15 PM

351 posts, read 500,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This nonsense doesn't even make sense.

How about just avoiding insulting people by calling them dumb just because they might have difficulty with a task. You might just say that to the wrong person one day.

Yeah I know...it was just "hypothetical."
It was
I don't even interact with black people--rarely, I'm basing it off of what many people say and what I have seen through media.

I used the "dumb" scenario because blacks feel there is a stereotype that blacks are dumb -- However, just because one calls you dumb isn't because you are black....you just might BE dumb. Of course it would be racist if one said ALL blacks are dumb, but that's not the case

Just because you dislike a person doesn't mean you dislike a person because they'r black.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:17 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,076,339 times
Quote:
Just curious, because not EVERYTHING is about race.
If I hypothetically insult you and say your dumb, am I saying it because of your race OR because you can't do a task? You just happen to be black, but that is irrespective of my statement
Grammar aside, no. In the real world, where most of us live, people talk about stuff that's relevant, regardless of their race. I'm a white dude who has worked with black people and the subject of race never comes up.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:18 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChestRockwell View Post
Hmm...

Between which, or on set, of any of the four Lethal Weapons do you think Danny Glover discovered Mel Gibson was a so-called "racist"? lol

Or was it not until 20+ years later when that dreaded phone call got aired out???
Is Glover Jewish?

Old 04-27-2014, 04:26 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,210,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Is Glover Jewish?
Mel's culturally/racially laced outbursts were not limited to Jews.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:45 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I have never seen this county so divided.

I am tried of the race card.

Why do we need to know the race of every person in most news stories????
This country has ALWAYS been divided from day one, based on race. Name one time in our history when it wasn't.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:38 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
It was
I don't even interact with black people--rarely, I'm basing it off of what many people say and what I have seen through media.

I used the "dumb" scenario because blacks feel there is a stereotype that blacks are dumb -- However, just because one calls you dumb isn't because you are black....you just might BE dumb. Of course it would be racist if one said ALL blacks are dumb, but that's not the case

Just because you dislike a person doesn't mean you dislike a person because they'r black.
Yeah dude....whatever you say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies