Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 10:12 AM

25,748 posts, read 18,818,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
This forum ostensibly exists to allow discussion of controversial political issues. But it doesn't seem like much really gets accomplished.

For example, let's say someone makes a controversial claim. Those who agree, agree. Those who disagree demand evidence. Let's say the person who made the claim provides evidence. Those who demanded evidence then reject the evidence presented, saying it is biased or otherwise unreliable. In the end, nothing gets accomplished.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Of course! It's a place for kids to fight, punch, and wrestle without getting a real black eye or bloody nose. And just as in a "real" fight, often nothing gets accomplished besides one inflated and one deflated ego.

And, no, there is no point. But does entertainment need a "point"? And that IS what is going on here... entertainment. Like two old ladies squabbling over the back fence when they should be knitting socks. But at the same time it is often... irresistible.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:16 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
I discredit any post or, poster when they have to use naming calling at all to make their point.

In some cases that is a shame because they have valid views at times.

Teabagger is just one example.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:59 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
How about the poster who posts some inane topic title and then calls anyone in disagreement- Nazis ,morons and jerks? do these topics really induce some one to partake in any kind of serious debate?

Old 04-28-2014, 01:04 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
How about the poster who posts some inane topic title and then calls anyone in disagreement- Nazis ,morons and jerks? do these topics really induce some one to partake in any kind of serious debate?
I guess I missed that one.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:06 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,037,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
This forum ostensibly exists to allow discussion of controversial political issues. But it doesn't seem like much really gets accomplished.

For example, let's say someone makes a controversial claim. Those who agree, agree. Those who disagree demand evidence. Let's say the person who made the claim provides evidence. Those who demanded evidence then reject the evidence presented, saying it is biased or otherwise unreliable. In the end, nothing gets accomplished.

Has anyone else noticed this?
You're right. It's mainly just a place to argue and have some agree with you vs the ones who dont. Often facts and truths dont even matter.

I use to think subconsciously perhaps, that posting here was perhaps to get someone to change their minds on something. Or to I suppose, just engage others politically and on the topics of the day/week. But really, very few spend any time here that dont have their minds made up on most political things, regardless of what the current events and scandals are.

It really is a waste of time really. I visit less and less and you know, why bother. I can easily get news from other places, especially politics. Commenting really solves nothing. Absolutely nothing is accomplished. I guess at least the other forums here, most anyways, serve more of a purpose. This one really doesn't if we're honest with ourselves.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:35 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,430,050 times
Or, or those that put others down for their beliefs or their way of life. Or those that belittle others because they have faith in God or no faith at all. Or those that laugh at others because they watch a particular TV show or network. Oh and then there are those that do nothing except argue, even though they themselves have no real concept of the subject at hand. How about those that think they are superior because they belong to a particular group. And then we have those who like to say that if you can't cite a source, it didn't happen. As if no one has any real life experiences. Let's not forget the people that think ALL conservatives or ALL liberals are exactly the same. Or those who think anyone who doesn't think like them is just plain evil.

There was a time when people could come here and debate a topic intelligently, a time when even though A disagreed with B there was a mutual respect.

Instead of complaining about what this forum isn't how about elevating it to what it should be? Or is that too much to hope for?
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies