Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 05:56 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag_Je View Post
Of course.... Christian state does not mean you must be Christian.
Why does the state have to be Christian? Are you oppressed because your government does not officially endorse your religion? Then I would be if the government was religious.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:16 PM

334 posts, read 438,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Why does the state have to be Christian? Are you oppressed because your government does not officially endorse your religion? Then I would be if the government was religious.
Christian state would mean that Christian symbols would be permitted at a public land, that's it and nothing else. Yes, homosexuality would be legal and everything else that you enjoy now.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:29 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,274,669 times
Quote:
I would like to say why I dislike our First Amendment in the Constitution:

* Christians are constantly being sued for putting religious symbols in public square, praying in public, etc.
* Jewish groups have been sued over 'Star of David' at a proposed public holocaust museum near a public building because atheist group said other religious and non-religious groups were also victims.
* People complain way too much / political correctness / too many people offended for minor reasons.
* Westboro Baptist Church spewing hatred towards gays/Jews/military, etc.
* Some Atheist groups bashing religion, constantly suing, etc.
* No public religious symbols allowed despite the predominant religion being Christianity.
* Public workers in fear when talking about religion, having public prayers, etc.
* Neo-Nazi groups openly.
* "Against the constitution this and that" is quite annoying to worry about!
* Christian symbols in public must come down despite being historical!

This is not 18th century anymore; therefore, we call on repealing the First Amendment. Other western countries have no such a thing yet still enjoys freedom of/from religion, etc.
No, I don't believe in theocracy nor banning religion completely.

Poll Finds Majority Of Republicans Would Repeal The First Amendment | BobCesca.com | News and Politics Blog and Podcast | We Cover the World
Poll finds majority of Republicans agreeing with my view.

So basically I am totally against the establishment clause and want to limit/ban hate speech. Establishment clause is pain, controversial, fight and against and oppression of the majority basically, and let's not forget quite annoying!
You should not have been allowed to say any of that!

Old 05-02-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Christian state would mean that Christian symbols would be permitted at a public land, that's it and nothing else. Yes, homosexuality would be legal and everything else that you enjoy now.
Getting rid of the first amendment would let the government do much more than that if it wanted to.

Tell me what anyone gains by making the USA officially Christian, or how it's religion-neutral stance hurts Christians. Hell, tell me why limiting what government officials do is an oppression of the rest of the population.

And what if Christians become a plurality (<50%)? What if Islam becomes the religion of more than 50%?

Old 05-02-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
And what if Christians become a plurality (<50%)? What if Islam becomes the religion of more than 50%?
Will never happen

Old 05-02-2014, 08:25 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Will never happen
Apparently you are ignorant of the trends in religion in the US. in 1955 3% identified as either none or undesignated for religion. 2011 it was 16%
Other religions....1955 2%, 2011 5%
Jewish 1955: 4% 2011 2%
protestant/catholic/christian....in 1955 it was 92%, 2011? 75%

Math says you are wrong. Atheist is probably going to win, but at a certain point Muslims could very well outnumber you as they are a expanding population, and you are not.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Apparently you are ignorant of the trends in religion in the US. in 1955 3% identified as either none or undesignated for religion. 2011 it was 16%
Other religions....1955 2%, 2011 5%
Jewish 1955: 4% 2011 2%
protestant/catholic/christian....in 1955 it was 92%, 2011? 75%

Math says you are wrong. Atheist is probably going to win, but at a certain point Muslims could very well outnumber you as they are a expanding population, and you are not.
Does not matter; Christians will always be the majority and has always been. The reason why the percentage has dropped is mainly due to high immigration from non-Christian country. Actually 78% are Christians, not 75%. I'm glad Judaism declined in percentage.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Will never happen
Maybe you can't think beyond a few years but it could happen within a few generations.

Better question: why should it be the government's role to sponsor a religion?

Old 05-03-2014, 07:49 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
Once again, you prove you don't know what you're talking about. The case has to do with a religious installation on government property.

The government has no business supporting or propagating religious beliefs, no matter what the religion.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Maybe you can't think beyond a few years but it could happen within a few generations.

Better question: why should it be the government's role to sponsor a religion?
Nopp never... America has the world's largest Christian population in numbers in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies